Home Forums Movies Dark Places (2014 – Charlize Theron)

Dark Places (2014 – Charlize Theron)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
TomHardys
JOHN
Jackson B
  • Charlize Theron Fan
    Topics:

Based on the book by Gillian Flynn.

Charlize returns to the Oscar race?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/10/charlize-theron-dark-places/

TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why but I don’t see this performance getting recognized but I hope I’m wrong. Charlize deserves a nom after being snubbed for Young Adult.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jackson B
    Participant
    Topics:

i like Charlize.  I mean her performances in Monster and North Country were amazing.  but i tend to only totally believe her or love when she is playing kinda white trashy roles. 

kinda like Hillary Swank.  ive only like Hillary Swank in two films Boys Dont Cry and Million Dollar Baby.  so she and Charlize are a lot alike in my mind. 

When they tried to make Hillary out to be a “leading lady type rom/com star” in that one movie, it was laughable.

I think the two of them play one type of role very well.  manly roles with a comination of white trashyness.

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

I thought Swank was very good in Freedom Writers and Conviction.    

Charlene is a very talented actress; anxious to see what she can do with this role. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jackson B
    Participant
    Topics:

yeah i forgot about those two.

i wanted to LOVE Conviction but i was so let down by the whole movie. 

Freedom Writers was good for what it was.  She was also good in The Gift (but once again that was a white trashy kinda role)

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I think she has a shot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Charlize Theron Fan
    Topics:

It has been rated “R” for some disturbing violence, language, drug use and sexual content.

Will be released on September 1, 2014. No distributor info is available although Mandalay (the production company behind the film) has a history with both Fox Searchlight and Millennium, so either is possible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I will tell you that Charlize Theron plays the roles of white trash and lower class people so well because she grew up in a suburb called Benoni, and it was (and still is in some parts) a poor, run-down suburb with a lot of crime and controversy. It is getting better, but when Charlize was growing up there, she probably experienced a lot of unpleasant people. 

ReplyCopy URL
    twenty
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw this one last night. Pretty bad.

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

Great film 8/10. Charlize Theron gives a great performance as Libby Day, and fully captures the essence of the character. it’s not as exciting and thrilling as Gone Girl, but it keeps you guessing about who kill the Day family. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I read the book this week, so will watch the film soon too. In my head Peter Facinelli was Lyle, rather than Nicholas Hoult, so it will be interesting to see what he does with it. Hendricks seems on paper to be a good fit as Patty.

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

Quite taken with this adaptation. Obviously not as compelling as the book. And that is attributable to the flashbacks in some way, i would think. They don’t work quite as well. Disjointed in some way. They ruin the built-up to the climax of the film. And the shallow characterizations as well.

Charlize Theron is marvellous. Was worried about her casting as Libby Day, but she knocked it out of the park. Her true acting showcase comes in the second half. And wow, what a performance. Christina Hendricks was also a stand out as Patty, Libby’s mother.

This is again another case of critics basing their reviews on awards prospects instead of the film itself. This is by no means “Gone Girl” Part II. It’s a compelling, low budget indie thriller with great ensemble performances, great cinematography and score, and a somewhat disjointed but compelling script.

Don’t see it getting anywhere near the Oscars. A24 doesn’t have what it takes to get Charlize into the race for a thriller. But Gotham and Indie Spirit awards is a possibility.

ReplyCopy URL
    JOHN
    Topics:

Quite taken with this adaptation. Obviously not as compelling as the book. And that is attributable to the flashbacks in some way, i would think. They don’t work quite as well. Disjointed in some way. They ruin the built-up to the climax of the film. And the shallow characterizations as well.

Charlize Theron is marvellous. Was worried about her casting as Libby Day, but she knocked it out of the park. Her true acting showcase comes in the second half. And wow, what a performance. Christina Hendricks was also a stand out as Patty, Libby’s mother.

This is again another case of critics basing their reviews on awards prospects instead of the film itself. This is by no means “Gone Girl” Part II. It’s a compelling, low budget indie thriller with great ensemble performances, great cinematography and score, and a somewhat disjointed but compelling script.

Don’t see it getting anywhere near the Oscars. A24 doesn’t have what it takes to get Charlize into the race for a thriller. But Gotham and Indie Spirit awards is a possibility.

Charlize Theron deserves to be in conversation for best actress for this performance, even though A24 is very unsuccessful at oscar campaigns. She has given the best performance so far this year both in Mad Max and now in Dark Places.

ReplyCopy URL
    Phoenix LOVE Risen.
    Topics:

[quote=”AviChristiaans”]

Charlize Theron deserves to be in conversation for best actress for this performance, even though A24 is very unsuccessful at oscar campaigns. She has given the best performance so far this year both in Mad Max and now in Dark Places.
    [/quote]  

I’m SO here for some Charlize.  I agree with those with who feel she was snubbed for “Young Adult”.  That was just all kinds of f/cked up wrong.  That coupled with your reasoning above, Toussaint – her work in “Mad Max” is BEYOND – should make her a contender.

Now, I just need to see this to bask in the magic that is Charlize unleashed.  She’s truly turning out to be one of the greats of her generation – or *ever*, for that matter.  “Monster”, “Young Adult” and “Mad Max” alone are all iconic performances. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Dark Places (2014 – Charlize Theron)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.