Depp or DiCaprio in 2015

Home // Forums // Movies // Depp or DiCaprio in 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Jim Brooks
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok…it is very early to be talking Oscars, but with everything I have been reading, it looks like Depp in Black Mass and DiCaprio in The Revenant could get Best Actor nominations. I know this feild will be overcrowded as it is and there may be some performances lead worthy going to the Supporting categoy. Personally I think it woudl be a lot of fun to see these two head to head, since both in my opinion are well over due. A lot of speculation here not having seen teh films yet, just hope for an exciting fall season!

Anonymous
    Topics:

Yes! Depp for the Razzie and DiCaprio for the Oscars! Honestly, I don’t see Depp making another good movie. And it’s not like he did many before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^Depp won’t be Razzie nominated for ‘Black Mass’. It remains to be seen if he’ll earn his 4th Oscar nomination, but I don’t think it’ll be a Razzie contender. Early reactions were already very favorable towards his performance. Plus it appears to be the best movie he’s been involved with in years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

He gave nomination worthy performances in both “Sweeney Todd” and “Finding Neverland”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

He gave nomination worthy performances in both “Sweeney Todd” and “Finding Neverland”.

He gave a terrible performance in “Sweeney Tood” and a decent one in “Finding Neverland”. I liked the latter movie and I do think that for example “Ed Wood” is great, but I don’t see him winning next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

Sweeney Todd is probably Depp’s most acclaimed performance to date, in fact if Day-Lewis was not on his way, it would’ve been his Oscar to lose, I don’t remember much at the time, but I think Depp came in second on predictions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Sweeney Todd is probably Depp’s most acclaimed performance to date, in fact if Day-Lewis was not on his way, it would’ve been his Oscar to lose, I don’t remember much at the time, but I think Depp came in second on predictions.

Actually, I’m 100% sure that Clooney came in second. I think Depp was a very weak third. But even if he came second, I remember that most people pretty much hated his performance and prefered Viggo Mortensen or DDL over him. But of course you are entitled on your opinion, I don’t find him a good actor myself.

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

As I said, I don’t remember whom was in which position at the time, besides DDL, Depp was my personal second that year, I found Mortensen’s performance lackluster at best, I didn’t see that George Clooney’s movie, I think over the last years Depp’s movie choices have been poorly to ridiculous most of the times, but I don’t like to dismiss some of the works he did in the past, I respect your opinion, I was a fan of his work some years ago , now, not so much, hope he will have a return to form rather sooner than later.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

What in the actual fuck? Johnny Depp is a very good actor when he isn’t in his cartoonish roles. He absolutely deserved his nomination for Sweeney Todd and trust me, he was second. Viggo Mortensen was favored by more Academy members? No. How do people bash Johnny Depp for his entire acting career but will accept George Clooney who plays himself almost every single time he is onscreen?

I don’t bash him. I don’t like him as an actor. Clooney is terrible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I think DiCaprio gives consistently better performances and makes much better choices overall, but Depp is really talented and has proven that time and time again. He’s been in a major funk lately with a lot of poor choices, but this IMHO looks like a really good return to form, and I am definitely rooting for him. And just to add my two cents, I too think Depp was second behind DDL for ‘Sweeney Todd’ which is one of my favorite performances by him.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

Depp looks fantastic in Black Mass.  I got no impression of Leo’s performance from The Revenant trailer.  Granted, it’s all in how the trailers were directed.  The teaser trailer for Black Mass was made to REALLY showcase Depp.  The Revenant, not so much.

And both Depp and Clooney are very good actors with a very different set of skills.  Just throwing that out there. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Evergreen
    Participant
    Topics:

I have said this before but I think Depp will pull a hanks/gyllenhaal by getting a sag nom and golden globe nom and miss oscar nom.  People who have read the script for The Revenant said this will be DiCaprio’s most intense and physically draining role he has ever done. Redmayne has it all, I am convinced he will give a jaw-dropping performance in The Danish Girl and will win his 2nd Oscar although I think DiCaprio will give him a hard time. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”TWNickPeek”]

What in the actual fuck? Johnny Depp is a very good actor when he isn’t in his cartoonish roles. He absolutely deserved his nomination for Sweeney Todd and trust me, he was second. Viggo Mortensen was favored by more Academy members? No. How do people bash Johnny Depp for his entire acting career but will accept George Clooney who plays himself almost every single time he is onscreen?

I don’t bash him. I don’t like him as an actor. Clooney is terrible.
    [/quote]

You dont have to “like” him, but Clooney is far from terrible. It’s also extremely difficult to “play yourself/himself”, whatever that means.

Is he an assassin arms dealer? A charming robber/crook? A goofy jail bird?

He saved Gravity for me. Every time he was on screen, which was precious little, I relaxed.

Depp btw, can be incredible. My personal favorite rendering from him? Probably “From Hell”; or perhaps, “Blow”. I loved him in Chocolat. He can come by and “fix that squeak in (my) door” anytime.

DiCaprio is going to have to prove to me that he fits the role as a “revenant”. Right now, I find that title rather offensive. I like him as an actor, dont get me wrong. But…he’s the same character in quite a few of his films, irrespective of the theme or the genre. Not necessarily a bad thing, but he’s also fairly young, and “handsome”. That’s a curse. He may have to wait until he “directs”.

I wish he had won for “Catch Me If You Can”, but he wasnt even nominated; a head-shaking omission imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

DiCaprio has been more consistent lately. Depp’ last few films have been disappointments.

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone who says Johnny Deep is a terrible/weak actor doesn’t understand a single thing about acting. I “hate” Russell Crowe but I can’t just say he’s a BAD actor. He just happens to be one that doesn’t surprise or fascinate me but he’s quite good. One can dislike an actor all they want but when they’re good actors you have to give credit where it’s due. People can’t hate on Johnny Depp for his previous missteps even though he’s doing his best to lift his career up and then applaud Kristen Stewart for doing the same.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
Reply To: Depp or DiCaprio in 2015

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.