Home Forums Movies Diane Keaton in “Something’s Gotta Give” (2003)

Diane Keaton in “Something’s Gotta Give” (2003)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

What do you think about her performance? It’s one of my all time favorite, because it’s funny and also dramatic sometimes. And that “crying” sciene was just perfect! 🙂 If Theron wouldn’t be there in that year…

Diane Keaton’s nominations & wins for this role:

WON – Golden-Globe
    Nominated – Oscar
    Nominated – BFCA
    Nominated – SAG

WON – National Board of Review
    WON – Satellite
    WON – Iowa Film Critics
    Nominated – Washington DC Area Film Critics
    Nominated – Phoenix Film Critics Society
    2nd place – Southeastern Film Critics Association 
    3rd place – Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics

Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Diane Keaton gave one of the most natural, relaxed and stunning performances I have seen by an actress. Not to mention that SHE NEVER LOOKED BETTER!!! My God, did she wear those white turtlenecks splendidly. I agree if Theron hadn’t been in the mix, Keaton would have won her second Oscar. A great role for her.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

I hate to be mary mary quite contrary but there’s no way Keaton would have won for this role in this movie.  At any rate, Charlize Theron gave the performance of a lifetime.

Keaton probably deserved another nomination for LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR, but then ironically she would have been competing against herself for ANNIE HALL.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

For me, it was Keaton’s best performance ever. As impressive as Theron was, as I’ve indicated in the past, I’d have voted for Keaton.
    And she indeed likely would have won except for Theron’s presence.

Keaton didn’t campaign at all. She also drove herself to the Oscars from Orange Co, didn’t even confirm she’d attend until the last minute, and came by herself, then left right afterwards. Just being herself, not above things, just not overly invested in the whole thing.    

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I thought Keaton was terrific. That was a strong year. We had Theron, Watts, Keaton, Morton, Castle-Hughes, and the should’ve been nominated Thurman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

^I agree, its a total shame that Uma wasn’t nominated for her incredible work in either of the Kill Bill films. Definitely should’ve gotten in over any of the other three.

Even though I didn’t care for Somethings Gotta Give at all, I thought Nickolson (Was Robbed a Nomination) and Keaton were one terrific duo.

ReplyCopy URL
    vlaxym
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw many bad Diane Keaton movies, but never a bad Diane Keaton performance or at least performance that didn’t fit into her movie (I haven’t seen Little Drummer Girl though). Something’s gotta give was terrific film and she was great (my second choice, behind Theron). Still, highlights of her career are her collaborations with Woody Allen (one of the best actor-director collaborations ever IMO) and Reds (her best performance IMO).

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I really enjoyed Keaton`s performance as well. She had a great blend of both comedy and drama, but I don`t think she was the best that year. I still think Theron deserved the win, and Watts would have been my second choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^Ditto. My ranking- Theron, Watts, Keaton, Morton, Castle-Hughes, but I’d have left Castle-Hughes off for Thurman.

With Thurman, my ranking: Theron, Watts, Thurman, Keaton, Morton.

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

I finally agree with SF….Diane Keaton gave one of her finest, most natural,
    unmannered performances and for me, she was easily the best of that year.
    Not taking anything away from Charlize Theron’s work in Monster, i just
    preferred Miss Keaton’s work here.

My second favorite actress since 1975…she blew me away in the Godfather
    films, but when i saw  LOVE AND DEATH…. i actually couldnt stop laughing
    in the theater because of her scenes…i might have caused a scene….i was young..

Diane Keaton is glorious….   AFI do you hear me…..??

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

The film held up for me, I re-watched it about a year ago, and their chemistry was a lot of fun to watch. She has such an incredibly varied resume.. I look forward to her new Showtime series.

ReplyCopy URL
    vlaxym
    Participant
    Topics:

I finally agree with SF….Diane Keaton gave one of her finest, most natural,

Off topic, but AFI is becoming laughable with its life achievement awards. Only a handful of winners were women… i highly doubt she’ll win but i doubted MacLaine too and she’s getting it this year. AFI look at Keaton, Dunaway, De Havilland and after she turns 50, Foster. They deserve that award very much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

Isn’t Nancy Meyers the American equivalent of Phyllida Lloyd?  At any rate, I’d also rank Naomi Watts second after Charlize Theron that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”allaboutoscars”]I finally agree with SF….Diane Keaton gave one of her finest, most natural,

Off topic, but AFI is becoming laughable with its life achievement awards. Only a handful of winners were women… i highly doubt she’ll win but i doubted MacLaine too and she’s getting it this year. AFI look at Keaton, Dunaway, De Havilland and after she turns 50, Foster. They deserve that award very much.[/quote]

The AFI award is totally meant as a money raiser for the group, nothing more. They depend on people (who nearly all deserve it) who are currently active and will lead to studios and agencies to buy tables. Very few individuals – actors, directors, et al – go to this unless they are close friends or someone else buys their tickets. That ability to sell tickets determines who gets it.

AAO – I like a lot of actors, but not because of who they are, but because of individual films they make. So no, I’m not really specifically a “fan” as you mean it probably for anyone working today, anymore than I am a fan of cinematographers or editors, who for me are more important as individuals in films in movies and less interchangeable.
     And even directors for whom I am a fan, it’s a case by case situation. As far as my statements on Streisand and Gypsy, I make them because I am a fan of reality, and for me, she’s too old for the role, likely too big for the room, and on the issue of financing, the absolute reality is that she cannot remotely at this stage of her film career be expected to get someone to finance anything on the scale of this film. It’s too big a risk. As far as her as an actress, she’s an acquired taste. I thought she has done a bit better in comedies than musicals, a lot better in both than dramas. She obviously is a great singer. It is a shame she wasn’t around in the era of great musicals (mid 30s through late 50s) to see what she might have been able to do.     

ReplyCopy URL
    vlaxym
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”vlaxym”][quote=”allaboutoscars”]I finally agree with SF….Diane Keaton gave one of her finest, most natural,

Off topic, but AFI is becoming laughable with its life achievement awards. Only a handful of winners were women… i highly doubt she’ll win but i doubted MacLaine too and she’s getting it this year. AFI look at Keaton, Dunaway, De Havilland and after she turns 50, Foster. They deserve that award very much.[/quote]

The AFI award is totally meant as a money raiser for the group, nothing more. They depend on people (who nearly all deserve it) who are currently active and will lead to studios and agencies to buy tables. Very few individuals – actors, directors, et al – go to this unless they are close friends or someone else buys their tickets. That ability to sell tickets determines who gets it.  [/quote]

I know but they still call it “highest achievement for a career in Hollywood”. Yet Barbra Streisand got it, Tom Hanks got it way too early and even Michael Douglas got it (as an actor and producer) over more deserving artists. I suspect Gene Hackman, Francis Ford Coppola, Denzel Washington and (less likely) Anthony Hopkins are next in line. Thats why not a one editor or cinematographer has ever goten this award (though some directors like Robert Wise or David Lean were famous as editors too)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.