Home Forums Movies Did Paul Newman ever come close to winning an Oscar prior to 1986?

Did Paul Newman ever come close to winning an Oscar prior to 1986?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

In retrospect it seems funny that he lost to David Niven and Maximillian Schell in 58 and 61. Was he considered to have a chance in any of those years? 

(and also how’d Piper Laurie get into lead actress? I think she could have won for supporting.)

Thanks!  

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Paul Newman knocked on Oscar’s door six times before they finally gave him an Oscar. His blue eyes and rebel-ish personality may not have helped either.

I loved him in Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Verdict, where they hosed Lindsay Crouse, Absence of Malice, where they hosed Melinda Dillon, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, where they hosed Burl Ives; Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy..The Sting..the list continues.

I dont think he had much of a chance in ’61. But he held his own with Jackie Gleason and perhaps, George C Scott. No easy feat.

’58 had several of his films released. Four or five of them. Everybody lost for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. What a lineup that was for Best Actor! Tracy, Newman, Curtis, Poitier. I agree with Wendy Hiller’s win, and it was Niven’s time.

What he gave to the industry, is simply marvelous.

ReplyCopy URL
    BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

He was never upset. He wasnt a frotrunner any of the years he was nominated! There is no equivalent of the famous quote about O’toole that “if he were any prettier it’d be Florence of arabia” but I think the same principal applies!

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Burl Ives actually won for another film (The Big Country–never saw it).  Do you think he should have won for Cat instead babypook?

Melinda Dillon did get a nomination for Absence of Malice. Did you think she should have won? Maureen Stapleton won for Reds that year. I’ve thought she was pretty brilliant in that. I always thought it was a makeup award for past loses but I watched it again recently and was struck by how great she was. The scene were she runs into Diane Keaton in Russia getting off the train is great acting. She says so much without saying a word.  

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Burl Ives actually won for another film (The Big Country–never saw it).  Do you think he should have won for Cat instead babypook?

Melinda Dillon did get a nomination for Absence of Malice. Did you think she should have won? Maureen Stapleton won for Reds that year. I’ve thought she was pretty brilliant in that. I always thought it was a makeup award for past loses but I watched it again recently and was struck by how great she was. The scene were she runs into Diane Keaton in Russia getting off the train is great acting. She says so much without saying a word.  

I’d recommend seeing The Big Country. It was the first time for Burl being in a feature, and he truly does nail it, in his own, Ives way. He’s in a film with Gregory Peck, Charles Bickford, Charlton Heston, Jean Simmons, and Caroll Baker, and he’s ‘better’ than all of them.

Why stop at just one for him?

Maureen was awesome yes, and in a terrific film imo. As there were four acting nominations for it, I’m happy that one of them won. All four of them are terrific.

But, I still would have given the Oscar to Melinda. I will never forget her heartbreaking performance. And Paul Newman is a gracious costar, letting her shine so brightly.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll have to watch Absence of Malice again. I saw it once but all I really remember is the scene where Dillon starts collecting the newspapers off people’s lawns because she doesn’t want them to see it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh and I just noticed Cat and Big Country were the same year. So I gues Burl Ives one for the one two bunch of both of them. 

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh and I just noticed Cat and Big Country were the same year. So I gues Burl Ives one for the one two bunch of both of them. 

The BIg Country and Burl Ives’s win were recently discussed in the TCM thread.

http://www.goldderby.com/forum/topics/view/10381/page:6#post_493271

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

The only time I thought Newman deserved to win was for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I really don’t understand how he won for Color of Money based on the performance. That was all lifetime achievement award 

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

The only time I thought Newman deserved to win was for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I really don’t understand how he won for Color of Money based on the performance. That was all lifetime achievement award 

Yes definitly. He’d had so many loses by then he was due. (weird that he didn’t show up to accept it in person, what was that about?) Plus there wasn’t really any strong competition. All the other nominees were from smaller indie stuff or William Hurt who had just won the last year.   

ReplyCopy URL
    drenja
    Participant
    Topics:

I dont know was he or was he not the frontrunner, but he should have won for “Cool Hand Luke” and “The Hustler” easily. And evey time he was nominated, he was very high for me,except for one that he actually won for. He was one of the best ever, with fantastick career but we all know that it doesnt always translate into Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I always accepted this as a fact butt hen saw The Color of Monay again for the first time in about 20 years and he’s fantastic. Just like Geraldine Page the year before, it may have taken a while but they both won for worthy performances.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

He would have been a much worthier win for The Verdict than The Color of Money. I don’t know if he or Hoffman were considered the frontrunner in ’82 but I’ve read, in spite of its BP domination, that Kingsley’s win as Gandhi was considered a bit of an upset at the time. Nobody’s Fool would have also been a strong win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”KyleBailey”]

Yes definitly. He’d had so many loses by then he was due. (weird that he didn’t show up to accept it in person, what was that about?) Plus there wasn’t really any strong competition. All the other nominees were from smaller indie stuff or William Hurt who had just won the last year.   
    [/quote]

Actually Bob Hoskins had dominated all other awards – he practically won everything except the Oscar for Mona Lisa, including New York, Los Angeles and National Society of Film Critics. I wonder how much all that counted for in the end, considering he was the film’s only nomination and Newman was backed up by other noms for Color of Money and an overdue narrative. 

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I would imagine that he had a fighting shot at it for his performances in Cool Hand Luke Road to Perditon, and maybe The Verdict.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.