Disney Buying Lucasfilm, 7th Star Wars film expected in 2015

Home // Forums // Movies // Disney Buying Lucasfilm, 7th Star Wars film expected in 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • BamaEd75
    Topics:

Well, this is big news. Disney is buying Lucasfilm for $4.5billion and will release a new Star Wars movie in 3 years. Lucas will be a creative consultant, Kathleen Kennedy to executive produce them. Will Jar Jar be a character at the theme parks?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/30/disney-buying-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-film/

Andrew Eng
    Participant
    Topics:

Holy shit…I don’t know what to think.

ReplyCopy URL
    BamaEd75
    Topics:

I’m with you FNLFan, I just don’t know. Disney has lots of merchandising opportunities and tie ins with this. Maybe we can get a full length Muppet masterpiece of Pigs In Space though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the entertainment industry story of the year.  Who saw THIS coming?  Lucas is only creative consultant, which is a good thing. Keeps him away from writing and directing Ep 7.  Since Nolan turned down Justice League, this would be one hell of a followup. Whedon’s tied up with Avengers 2 so he’s out.  JJ Abrams is tied to the Star Trek franchise. 

ReplyCopy URL
    simali
    Topics:

wow, so disney owns marvel, the muppets, and now lucasfilm

yeepers

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Eng
    Participant
    Topics:

Nolan wouldn’t likely direct Star Wars, as it is far too fantasy and CGI-heavy for his tastes, IMO. As long as future Star Wars films have no Jar Jar, Hayden Christensen, or wooden dialogue, we might be OK. I wonder if Episode VII will be based on Expanded Universe novels or go in a completely new direction. It would be cool to see “The Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command)” on the big screen, but the main actors are too old for that story. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Duke Silver
    Topics:

I will be the first to say that I am incredibly excited for this. Like, more than any of you could possibly imagine. 

I really love Star Wars, and as such, have really thought over what a sequel trilogy could involve.
    Here are my ideas:

Obviously, due to the age of the original trilogy actors, we would have to start off a while after the original trilogy. I would say 30 years. At this time, a New Republic has been established, and the last Imperial loyalists have been eliminated.  Luke has refounded the Jedi Order, and is now the aging Jedi Master. Han and Leia got married and had at least one child, who is now a jedi, in Luke’s order. Leia is now the Supreme Chancellor of the new Republic. Han is a hero from the Rebel War, and and still the skilled pilot that he used to be. The most logical plot to me is actually a few things from some of the expanded series. Since Palpatine was this extremely powerful sith lord, said to have the ability to manipulate life, he is naturally not one able to die. Palpatine could resurface on Korriban, and begin raising a new sith order, breaking the previous “rule of two” that was in place. Also in this, the ghosts are still spiritual guides to Luke, and his nephew and their new order. In this, the former Vader (anakin) is also a guide to his son. The point is that Luke goes to Korriban to explore the new threat, and is killed by the emperor in the process. This means that Leia and Han’s son (I believe he was called Jacen in the comics) is forced to take charge of the new order, in order to try and take care of the rising sith force lead by Palpatine. Episode VII would deal with the resurgence of Palpatine, and would contain the death of luke, and the growing power of Palpatine. I would imagine it would end with Palpatine becoming powerful enough to wage an attack against the Republican Capital of Coruscant, killing Han in the process, and decimating most of the population there. Also, in this case, the Jedi Order is centered in Dantooine, like it was in KOTR. Therefore, the Jedi order survives, but a bulk of the republic is killed with coruscant. Leia manages to escape, and flee to Dantooine. Episode VIII would take place in the aftermath of the attack on Coruscant, with what is left of the government of the republic fleeing to Dantooine, and planning from there. Leia is still the Supreme Chancellor of the attacked republic, and coordinates the efforts of attack, from a military standpoint. Jacen, as the leader of the Jedi order, organizes the jedi resistance to the Emperors’ growing threat. Episode VIII could focus on Palpatine leading a Sith rebellion with the new Sith Order. He would do to other planets what he did to Coruscant, and begin to reclaim parts of his old empire. Episode IX could be about the Republic being near the point of crumbling, with Leia still leading a much weakened republic, and Jacen still taking out the Sith where he and the order can. The Jedi Order would launch an attack on Korriban, killing a number of both sides, and leading to a ripple in the force that causes Palpatine to step up his attack. After the Republic has managed to take back a number more planets, Leia is killed by Palpatine after he boards her ship. This causes Jacen to seek revenge, and he boards Palpatine’s ship, engaging in a duel with the emperor. When Jacen is defeated by the emperor, he offers him a spot in his sith Republic, trying to get him to do what his grandfather did. Jacen refuses this, and using the force, grabs his lightsber and stabs Palpatine through the heart, before the empror has the time to react. The death of such a powerful Sith Lord causes this ship to go down, killing Jacen in the process. Therefore, both the Jedi and Sith orders have been destroyed, and peace has been returned to the galaxy. 

I feel that Star Wars works in cyclces. The Prequel Trilogy is about the sith coming to control the galaxy. The original is about the Jedi taking power back, and the Sequel could abouth both powers dying out, and a new, non-force related galaxy coming to be. All three trilogies would be thematically similar, and that is the way to do it. All of th Original trilogy actors, Carrie fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford would all return in at least one film. Additionally, Ian McDirmaid played the Emperor in both trilogies, and could take on the role again. The ghosts could be played by the actors that played them before, in at least some aging prosthetics. 

I would imagine that Lucas would have an obvious role in the development of the new ones, and serve as the creative director. I actually have a few ideas for who could be director. Christopher Nolan would be a great choise, but he probably wouldn’t take up the project. The veteran Steven Spielberg would also be a fantastic choice to direct. I would say Joss Whedon, but he has The Avengers. JJ Abrams could be good, and he did the Star Trek reboot which was a great success. And Last is David Yates, the director of the last four Harry Potter films. He is well versed in special effects, and has done fantasy. Ultimately though, Spielberg would be the best choice. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Nolan won’t take the project. He’s too associated with Batman (and to some level now, Superman) for Disney – who owns Marvel – to just hand a billionaire franchise to Warner’s (who owns DC) go to man today. Plus it’s not the kind of thing I imagine he’d be very interested in. It’s not republican/reactionary enough for his tastes  Just kidding (well, half-kidding), but those films don’t fit the tone Nolan strives for in his films.

Spielberg won’t do it. If he was younger, and didn’t have much personal involvement with Lucas anymore, I could see it happening. But I don’t think he feels he needs soemthing of this magnitude at this point in his career. He knows he’d be dealing with a sensitive passionate fanbase, and I don’t think he’d like to deal with that wasp’s nest that is Disney, especially considering this is will be a project he’d have to deal with tons of studio interference. Also, I don’t know how Lucas and him would feel about the situation.

Jackson is more or less the same situation as Spielberg.

J.J. Abrams would be a logical choice. He loves the films, and has a huge nerd following. BUT handing a “Star Trek” director the “Star Wars” franchise is like Warner hiring Joss Whedon to do Justice League. Meaning, very unlikely.

Since we’re at it, Whedon probably won’t be the choice either. He already got his hands full with “The Avengers” franchise, and it’s unlikely that he rather spend the little free time he has between films doing another larger than life franchise instead of smaller, personal projects.

Yates might be a possibility. He doesn’t really have ties with Warner anymore, and his association with “Harry Potter” probably wouldn’t affect much, since the franchise ended. But he also isn’t much of a name is he? I have a feeling Disney would like someone with more instant recognition, even if just for the first film, to make it even more of an event. The fact his filmography beyond the Potter films didn’t really have impact probably hurts his chances a little bit too.

Del Toro? Maybe, but he hasn’t really worked with Disney yet, and I fear he would be reluctant to take on another huge epic franchise after what ahppened with “The Hobbit”. Plus, I don’t know how much he would be interested in “Star Wars”.

That said, I can see Brad Bird taking the job. His name is somewhat familiar, his has experience with big budget films and working with a previously established cronology, has tons of good will going for him at Disney, he’s an Oscar winner and it would be a great oportunity to have Pixar associated with it and leaving it to someone who wouldn’t lose control of the situation like what happened with “John Carter”. Plus, his sensibility simply fits. The only thing standing on his way might be a commitment to “Mission: Impossible 5”, since I don’t know how that’s being developed. If the timing works, I think Disney would go with him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^I’ve been thinking about that too… Brad Bird and Guillermo del Toro are at the top of my list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

http://www.eonline.com/news/358713/disney-not-stopping-at-star-wars-7-3-films-and-more-coming

George Lucas’ original vision is going to become a reality.

After initially offering up the promise of a seventh Star Wars film in 2015, Disney—which bought Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion this week—revealed today that Episode 7, 8 and 9 are in the works.

The Mouse House is planning on releasing the ensuing sequels every two to three years, Disney chief exec Robert Iger said in a conference call with reporters.

Back when Lucas was announcing plans for Star Wars: Episode 1—The Phantom Menace back in the 1990s (those high expectations we harbored were so long ago), he indicated that he envisioned both three prequels and three sequels to kick off and cap off his seminal trilogy.

And now, Disney is looking to make it happen.

The mega-brand is also interested in developing new Star Wars properties for its theme parks (what, improve on Star Tours?!) and Disney XD network. 

“We love the fact that this will take its place in our live-action strategy as a known and loved brand,” Iger said. “We really like Star Wars potential on TV, and Disney XD would be a great home for that.”

But while Lucas characterized the Disney buyout as a changing of the guard, veteran producer and current Lucasfilm cochair Kathleen Kennedy isn’t moving to a galaxy far, far away—she’ll remain as president under Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn and executive-produce the coming Star Wars films.

And, of course, Lucas created the whole universe, so…his name won’t be forgotten.

Oh lord… 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I was listening to this announcement today on the radio.

Looks as if I’ll be signing a stack more petitions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Brad Bird has been mostly an animated film director guy.  All animated, if you take MI: Ghost Protocol out of the resume for the moment. All the good ones are taken with their various other projects.  Steven Soderbergh, perhaps?  

Or this, as a free agent director: Gary Ross?  He did direct the #13 all-time domestic boxoffice hit (The Hunger Games). 

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

What about Sam Mendes?  If he’s not directing any Bond movies from this point forward, and Skyfall is getting terrific overseas reviews, why not?

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

Please please PLEASE do not under ANY circumstance assign this project to Christopher Nolan.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d hope he wouldnt accept. Please, I’d hate to see a gifted guy like Nolan attached to “Disney”.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
Reply To: Disney Buying Lucasfilm, 7th Star Wars film expected in 2015

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.