Even in films or performances that don’t quite manage to succeed overall, we can often find singular moments of greatness. In a single line, we can learn all we need to know about a character. Sometimes a performer can simply provoke us to laugh so hard it hurts. I thought it would be nice to start a thread for us to share our favorite individual line readings of 2011, independent of film or performance quality. I don’t think any single sentence will give too much away, but I’ll put out a SPOILER ALERT (at least in the case of Tyrannosaur) if someone doesn’t want to know anything about a film before they see it.
The top 10:
1. Martha (Elizabeth Olsen) in Martha Marcy May Marlene – “Because it’s
private and not normal.”
2. Alex (Shailene Woodley) in The Descendants – “Why’d you have to
tell me in the g*ddamn pool?”
3. Hannah (Olivia Colman) in Tyrannosaur – “He raped me!”
4. Megan (Melissa McCarthy) in Bridesmaids – “It’s coming out of me
5. Hannah (Emma Stone) in Crazy Stupid Love – “Seriously? It’s
like you’re Photoshopped!”
6. Glen (Chris New) in Weekend – “Well. You know what, son. It
doesn’t matter to me. I love you just the same. And guess what? … I couldn’t be
more proud of you than if you were the first man on the moon.”
7. Kayla (Emma Stone) in Friends with Benefits – “Here’s an idea.
Next time, instead of being late, just sh*t on my face.”
8. Salvador Dali (Adrien Brody) in Midnight in Paris – “I see rhinoceros!”
9. Anna (Felicity Jones) in Like Crazy – “Do you wanna come over?
Come over now. And I’ll just be here.”
10. Paul Zara (Philip Seymour
Hoffman) in The Ides of March – “…and
Ida, I am going to take a sh*t.”