Home Forums Movies Favorite Scenes From Performers in 2017

Favorite Scenes From Performers in 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Heart of Cinema
Thomas Eagan
Jays
  • LangeWeaver2
    Participant
    Topics:

What are some of your favorite standout scenes from your favorite performers of the year?

Frances McDormand-either yelling at the reporter or asking the priest to get the fuck out of her kitchen, or even just “Robbie!”

Margot Robbie-begging to go to prison over being banned from ice skating

Timothée Chalamet-maybe the train station scene or the fireplace, but it’s tough with him, it’s more overall naturalism and empathy for his character instead of one particular slice of drama

Robert Pattinson-again, it’s more overall subtlety and restraint and minutia of reaction than one particular scene, I feel like this is kind of a new wave in acting that young people are embracing

Laurie Metcalf-airport scene, the best small scene of one performer owning it in 2017, these are the scenes I love from supporting players

Hong Chau-it’s tough because she has such good comedic delivery as well as really touching monologues; I’d go with the Jesus/Norway monologue over all

Armie Hammer-the morning after he and Elio have sex, pulls off that fragile uncertainty so well

Heart of Cinema
    Participant
    Topics:

Ewan McGregor’s Choose Life monologue in Trainspotting 2

ReplyCopy URL
    Thomas Eagan
    Participant
    Topics:

Obviously for me the last scene in CMBYN when Elio was staring into the fireplace feeling the emotions of love and a broken heart. The background music of Visions of Gideon was amazing. When Elio stared into the camera it felt like he looked you in the eye and said he knew we all had felt this pain before. I heard Timothee say he made the decision to do that on his own and was not directed by Luca. For me that scene alone would make Timothee Chalamet a very worthy Oscar winner.
    The train station scene and the scene with his father at the end we’re incredible also. Stuhlberg was terrific.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Elio and Oliver’s phone call followed by Elio sitting by the fireplace

Tonya Harding begging to go to jail if it meant she could still skate

Tonya Harding putting on her makeup before performing, in front of the mirror

Any scene shared between Frances McDormand and Peter Dinklage in Three Billboards

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

The grapefruit and the peach.

ReplyCopy URL
    Michael Norris
    Participant
    Topics:

Daniel Kaluuya in the hypnotism scene in Get Out

Michelle Williams in the body identification scene in All the Money in the World

Margot Robbie in I, Tonya telling the judges about the problem with her laces

Ana de Armas in the holographic sex scene in Blade Runner 2049

ReplyCopy URL
    AlexVieira
    Participant
    Topics:

Rooney Mara eating pie in A Ghost Story.

ReplyCopy URL
    xrated48
    Participant
    Topics:

Spoiler alert below for a few films

Margot Robbie in I Tonya the judges decision

Sam Rockwell in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri when he throws the guy out the window

Sally Hawkins in The Shape of Water when she flips the villain off in sign language

Kumail Nanjiani in the Big Sick when he doing Standup but is crying over the possibility that his love may die

Daniel Day Lewis in Phantom Thread argument over suprise dinner

ReplyCopy URL
    Delilah
    Participant
    Topics:

The omelette scene in Phantom Thread

The dance sequence in CMBYN

Farrier gliding then landing his plane in Dunkirk

ReplyCopy URL
    CLongb0at_Jr
    Participant
    Topics:

Florence Pugh’s crocodile tears or the “Tell me about your life, Anna” scene from Lady Macbeth are quite chilling. It’s a shame that film was so overlooked.

That one baffled expression that Alma makes in response to Cyril saying “Reynolds likes a little belly in his women” in Phantom Thread may be one of the funniest moments in that film. She has a ton of great moments like that.

Deckard’s interrogation scene in Blade Runner 2049 is quite well done. I would also extend a shout out to Woody Harrelson’s big dialogue scene in War for the Planet of the Apes.

Jeremy Renner’s monologue in Wind River was arguably just as impressive as Stuhlbarg’s in CMBYN in that they were both perfectly delivered.

The final sequence of Good Time is heartbreaking due to Benny Safdie’s performance being juxtaposed with “The Pure and the Damned”.

Willem Dafoe slapping Ginger Ale out of the pedophile’s hand and berating him was one of the most satisfying scenes of 2017. The entire conclusion to the film is also phenomenally acted from the main cast.

ReplyCopy URL
    CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

As modest of a scene it may be, Timmy’s scene in CMBYN where he apologises to Marzia showed to me the sheer nuance he tried to show us, in terms of Elio’s incremental change from abit of a cheeky punk, to a mature man. Here, Chalamet’s natural, believable interiorising of this growth is perfectly externalised, as he so naturalistically portrays this powerful understanding of Elio’s feelings and his growth into a man, as well as a subtly developed understanding of his actions that have harmed Marzia.

The final scenes of the film may be the most effective performance wise, Chslamet can portray like 30000 different facets of his character with just his eyes alone, but his naturalism and strive for nuance, as a lot have said, is the most important thing to his skill as a performer.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.