Home Forums Movies Golden Globes Film Nominations 2018 (Predictions Center Now Open)

Golden Globes Film Nominations 2018 (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 627 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
Philip
Stegeo
  • EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

@joef123 No, the fact they only want 7,000 signatures is what is REALLY hilarious. IF they actually want to change the HFPA’s minds on including a nominee AFTER the nominees are announced, they should shoot for the moon by asking for at least a couple hundred thousand signatures. I really don’t see why they don’t petition the Broadcast Film Critics Association to add Patty Jenkins and Wonder Woman in, since the Critics Choice Awards literally added in Disney Wars: The Force Awakens a couple years ago because RATINGS! That, and because it had come out AFTER their deadline, which still isn’t any kind of legit excuse. They notably only included it in Best Picture but not any of the technical categories like Visual Effects, which just looks weird, and didn’t show the same courtesy to Rogue One and The Last Jedi, probably due to having learned their lesson as a result of the backlash to including TFA in the first place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting comments by Jada Pinkett Smith. She says they didnt even allow a screening of Girls Trip or press conference.

SHE IS VERY ANGRY ALL THE TIME

I just wanted to say I really like your art!

Re: Girls Trip. I do think they should have at least watched the movie before voting. They host screenings for pretty much everything else. It seems unprecedented that they voted on a movie just based on a rough cut (All the Money in the World).

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Very pleased with the nominations for films like Dunkirk, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Lady Bird, Get Out, Coco, and Battle Of The Sexes. The Shape Of Water and Darkest Hour come to my area on December 22, and I’m not sure when Call Me By Your Name will arrive, as my arthouse theater has yet to announce a date for it. Of course, like everyone outside of New York and Los Angeles, I don’t get The Post until January 12. I don’t get I, Tonya until the 12th either, and I finally get Phantom Thread on the 19th.

As for snubs and/or bad nominees, oh boy. First of all, of course, where are Jordan Peele and Greta Gerwig for Best Director?! And where is Get Out for Best Screenplay?! Even though I haven’t seen BPM (Beats Per Minute), I’m shocked it got snubbed based on its massive acclaim. I suspect it still makes it in at the Oscars; perhaps it even wins.

Also, “The Star” from The Star for Best Original Song over “Evermore” from Beauty And The Beast, really?! The Star is a bad animated movie, and even though the song is sung by Mariah Carey and co-written by her and Marc Shaiman, you don’t remember it after its over. I can still remember “Evermore” in my head, and I suspect given Alan Menken and Tim Rice’s track records with the Oscars, that song makes it in and “The Star” will be snubbed.

And finally, WHY THE HELL is The Boss Baby nominated for Best Animated Feature over The Lego Batman Movie?! The Boss Baby is a bad movie, whereas The Lego Batman Movie was a worthy spin-off of its predecessor. Why do the Golden Globes always have to nominate the critically lambasted film that makes a ton of money, like Hotel Transylvania? Hey Oscars, don’t nominate The Boss Baby for Best Animated Feature!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

In a way to overcorrect for last year, I imagine the Globes could decide to spread their love more thinly than even usual. Usually there’s one film that at least wins three, and there are many ways to imagine that playing out this year, but I think more than other years I can think of they can credibly give no more than one award to each film.

Here’s how:
    Motion Picture (Drama) – The Shape of Water
    Has the most nominations of any film this year.

Motion Picture (Comedy/Musical) – Get Out
    The film didn’t get Director or Screenplay nominations, but I think HFPA members are aware of how much backlash they’ll receive (on top of what they’ve already gotten) if GO leaves empty-handed, and it’s probably the most legit Oscar BP-contender nominated here anyways.

Actor (Drama) – Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
    There are enough factors at play here that don’t need exaggerating that make this feel possible: 1) This is Darkest Hour’s only nomination, 2) Gary Oldman and HFPA have had a notoriously longtime poor relationship, 3) Timmy’s core passionate voter base can be compared to Isabelle Huppert’s last year; granted Timmy is no Isabelle, but he’s a strong alternative to the seemingly inevitable biopic bait frontrunner and a favorite among critics (like Huppert, he’ll probably take NSFC to complete the sweep with NY/LA).

Actress (Drama) – Meryl Streep, The Post
    She stole the show last year, and now that conservative knives are out for her especially this could be an irresistible way to take advantage of the political moment. That, to me, gives her an edge over Frances (she’s overdue but perhaps they haven’t given her the win for a reason) and Sally (who was not the most composed when she won last time), in addition to this looking like the most viable way to reward The Post and its six nominations.

Actor (Comedy/Musical) – James Franco, The Disaster Artist
    Kaluuya looks like a safer Oscar nominee but between TDA’s Picture nomination, their history of loving Franco and how much he wants this, it seems like a no-brainer.

Actress (Comedy/Musical) – Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
    This would be the category I could least imagine Lady Bird losing in. Like Franco, seems like a no-brainer.

Supporting Actor – Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World
    As this doesn’t actually have a Picture nomination, they could give this to Armie if they really do want to bury the hatchet with Gary — but it’s telling that ATMITW also got Michelle Williams and Ridley Scott major nominations seemingly on the back of Plummer’s stunt narrative alone.

Supporting Actress – Allison Janney, I, Tonya
    Neither Janney nor Metcalfe have ever won a Globe, but Janney has twice as many nominations (6) and you can argue has a lot more name recognition in general. Also, a credible way to reward Picture nominee I, Tonya.

Director – Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
    His would be a very popular win to home viewers, who is a bonafide celebrity in his own right for his most well-received work to date.

Screenplay – Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
    McDonagh is the only writer nominated here who is also nominated for Best Director. But even if the HFPA really love 3B, I doubt they give it Picture/Director. This would be the easy place, then, to reward him.

Song – The Greatest Showman
    The HFPA are shameless about their horrid taste in music, and I believe they always will be. This is exactly their kind of movie, they proved it with its nominations, and this is the natural place to reward it. Of course, watch out for double-nominee Mary J. Blige (but Mudbound is SO not their thing) or Mariah Carey (but this would be SO rude to MJB lol).

That makes all 10 BP nominees, and the lone Director’s film. The rest:

Score – Phantom Thread
    It’s Greenwood’s first nomination here, but more than any other nominee he fits the rock star mold that often wins when nominated.

Animated – Coco
    Only film here with an additional nominee in the Song category. Also successful and popular.

Foreign Language – In the Fade
    Just a gut feeling that this tends to play well broadly and has Kruger’s starpower. Jolie’s popular enough to have gotten nominated for this tougher (but less melodramatic) material, in addition to The Breadwinner which she produced, both her and HFPA might be fine with letting her enjoy her night and perhaps presenting.

ReplyCopy URL
    alaska789
    Participant
    Topics:

Just because SHAPE got the most noms doesn’t mean it’s going to win best picture ….and STREEP is definitely not going to win BAs …there’s a feminist protest organised against her at the GGS..the GGs are not going to court controversy by giving it to Streep that’s for sure

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Just because SHAPE got the most noms doesn’t mean it’s going to win best picture

I agree completely, but at the same time it’s the most legit front-runner; 3 Billboards is controversial, The Post is another Spielberg yawner, CMBYN didn’t receive the same amount of love with these rest 3 and Dunkirk is just not winning. Everyone states Shape is a beautiful film and it’s acclaimed in many aspects (visuals, production design, performances, direction, music etc)

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

That “feminist protest” against Streep is absurd. She has said she didn’t know and I believe her. All of these witch-hunts that are going on right now should be sending chills up and down our spines and we should see the danger of them. I am all for due process and for ending sexual harrassment and sexual abuse; however, allegations are not proof, they are the beginning of a process to find out if the allegations are true and then finding appropriate consequences. Destroying people’s careers without due process is a terrible thing to do. Where were the feminist protests against Hillary Clinton, someone who has harmed women all over the world and gained her power by harming women and children in Libya, Honduras, Iraq, the United States and all over the world? My frustration with Meryl Streep had to do with her support for Clinton (just to be clear: nobody ought to have supported Trump either), watching her cheerlead at the Democratic National Convention for someone who has committed treason against us, who knowingly lied to us believing it was expedient to say what people want to hear and then do the exact opposite (and the weird acquiescence that I would hear that this is just what politicians do so it is no big deal!), who has a contempt for voters, and is a willing war-mongerer who was hell-bent on murdering people in Syria and Iran and accepted bribes through the Clinton Foundation that would benefit the war profiteers and global corporatists – yuck! I don’t think Meryl Streep will win the Golden Globe, I am predicting the HFPA will go for The Shape of Water this year and give Sally Hawkins their Best Actress – Drama award. But I don’t think a misguided smear campaign against Meryl Streep ought to be applauded or sought. I know people get upset when politics is discussed and I only bring this up in response to an earlier post about a “feminist campaign” against her, which is beyond contempt and foolish in myriad ways.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

STREEP is definitely not going to win BAs …there’s a feminist protest organised against her at the GGS..the GGs are not going to court controversy by giving it to Streep that’s for sure

But actually that “backlash” has been relatively muted and outvoiced by most supporters of the #MeToo movement, in addition to it being revealed that the “street art” targeting her was just a trolling conservative Banksy-wannabe wanting revenge for her Trump criticisms, so I don’t think this is actually a thing at all…

ReplyCopy URL
    Sentinel666
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST PICTURE – DRAMA
    Will win: “The Shape of Water”
    Could win: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

I didn’t see “The Post” and “The Shape of Water”, so I have no idea who should win.

BEST ACTOR – DRAMA
    Will win: Gary Oldman “Darkest Hour”
    Could win: Timothee Chalamet “Call Me By Your Name”

BEST ACTRESS – DRAMA
    Will win: Sally Hawkins “The Shape of Water”
    Could win: Frances McDormand “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

BEST PICTURE – COMEDY/MUSICAL
    Will win: “Lady Bird”
    Could win: “Get Out”
    Should win: “The Disaster Artist”

BEST ACTOR – COMEDY/MUSICAL
    Will win: James Franco “The Disaster Artist”
    Could win: Daniel Kaluuya “Get Out”
    Should win: James Franco “The Disaster Artist”

BEST ACTRESS – COMEDY/MUSICAL
    Will win: Saoirse Ronan “Lady Bird”
    Could win: Margot Robbie “I, Tonya”
    Should win: Saoirse Ronan “Lady Bird”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Will win: Willem Dafoe “The Florida Project”
    Could win: Sam Rockwell “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
    Should win: Sam Rockwell “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Will win: Laurie Metcalf “Lady Bird”
    Could win: Allison Janney “I, Tonya”

BEST DIRECTOR
    Will win: Guillermo Del Toro “The Shape of Water”
    Could win: Christopher Nolan “Dunkirk”

BEST SCREENPLAY
    Will win: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
    Could win: “Lady Bird”

BEST SCORE
    Will win: “The Shape of Water”
    Could win: “Phantom Thread”

ReplyCopy URL
    Kwame
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Chalamet wins the Globe as an F U to Oldman and to keep the race interesting

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Doubt Lady Bird sweeps the comedy/musical category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gain
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t even care who wins, as long as Meryl doesn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    H. H.
    Participant
    Topics:

If they give the Golden Globe to Oldman then the HFPA are just a bunch of wankers like he said.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

STREEP is definitely not going to win BAs …there’s a feminist protest organised against her at the GGS..the GGs are not going to court controversy by giving it to Streep that’s for sure

But actually that “backlash” has been relatively muted and outvoiced by most supporters of the #MeToo movement, in addition to it being revealed that the “street art” targeting her was just a trolling conservative Banksy-wannabe wanting revenge for her Trump criticisms, so I don’t think this is actually a thing at all…

Truth is she knew about Harvey. She even warned her daughters about him. She’s a fucking hypocrite and liar. She’s as fake as they come.

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Plummer is so winning the Globe.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 627 total)
Reply To: Golden Globes Film Nominations 2018 (Predictions Center Now Open)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.