Home Forums Movies Governors Awards 2014

Governors Awards 2014

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
KyleBailey
Macbeth
keithw
  • vndavid
    Participant
    Topics:

In a few weeks we’ll know the recipients of the Governors Awards. Who do you think are the choices for these awards?

And when is the Academy willing to announce the winners?

I’m really hoping for:

1. Trevor Jones (composer): Excalibur, The Dark Crystal, Cliffhanger, The Last of the Mohicans, Labyrinth, Arounf the World in 80 days. He earned zero nominations. Let’s give an Oscar to a truly master until the music branch will be full of pop artists and they give the honorary Oscar to some random singer. Trevor Jones is a music icon for film music fans and it would be and excellent choice after that Ennio Morricone’s last Honorary Award.

2. Harrison Ford (actor). He’s a star, he’s old and he never won. Why not?

Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

There is already a thread for this, but alright, I guess we’ll make this the official thread for the 2014 ceremony

There are too many for me to choose three, so I will divide them into categories:

ACTORS/PERFORMERS

• Doris Day (I know, its obvious – but she should still get one – I’d love to see her these days)
    • The Monty Pythons (Its a super longshot, but they are real comedy legends, and if Steve Martin can get an Honorary Oscarfor his work, then the Pythons should get at some point as well. However, they should rather get a Kennedy Centre Honorbefore the Oscar)
    • Marni Nixon (the voice of so many iconic woman in musicals – she should get recognized for some great work, as she can’tanywhere else)
    • Liv Ullman/Max Von Sydow (both are such iconic performers who deserve special awards for their great work, and for being the conenctions between Bergman’s artistic European cinema and modern, mainstream cinema)

DIRECTORS

• David Lynch (the man who actually created a whole genre deserves to be honored. Its unclear if he will make any more films,so now will be the time to award him)
    • Mike Leigh (he is never going to win a competitive Oscar, so he should get recognition here instead)
    • Martin Scorsese (He’s already won a competitive one, but so have many honorees here – she should be honored with an award for his efforts in film preservation and his World Cinema Foundation) 

OTHER

• Kathleen Kennedy (she is a real power producer, she is incredibly charitable and she is an icon amongst producers)
    • Roger Deakins (I hope he wins a competitive one someday, but if he doesn’t, he should get recognized here)
    • Phillip Glass (he’s such an important composer)
    ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Topics:

Every year I say it…….in my opinion…..far and above the others…..Doris Day deserves it the most!  If she is not able or not willing to attend, then so be it.  She should have an Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love to see Roger Deakins finally get one and David Lynch. For actors, Donald Sutherland, Carol Burnett, Bill Nighy, Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal, Danny Glover, or Ellen Barkin. I could probably list a bunch more. The Humanitarian award should probably go to someone like George Clooney or Sean Penn. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love to see Roger Deakins finally get one and David Lynch. For actors, Donald Sutherland, Carol Burnett, Bill Nighy, Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal, Danny Glover, or Ellen Barkin. I could probably list a bunch more. The Humanitarian award should probably go to someone like George Clooney or Sean Penn. 

Roger Deakins and David Lynch will definitely get at some point. They’re too good to be ignored – Lynch will likely get one well into his 80s like another great director, Roger Corman

Donald Sutherland is likely to get one at some point as well. Same with Danny Glover. They are great actors that were never embraced by the AMPAS, so they will certainly have to get one sometime. 

Carol Burnett and Ellen Barkin are in no way movie stars – they are much bigger television stars, and neither have had great film careers. I really doubt that they get Honorary Oscars. But its a possibility.

Meg Ryan needs to have a big comeback to remind the AMPAS that she exists. If she does, then I can certainly see her get an Honorary Oscar – but like Lauren Bacall (another great female romantic star from a definitive film era), Ryan will have to wait until she is in her 70s or 80s.

I love Bill Nighy, but I doubt he gets one. He’s such a good actor, but he has that pesky British stigma hanging above him. I know Angela Lansbury is also British, but she is a damn acting legend. Nighy will receive the BAFTA Fellowship (and perhaps even a knighthood), but an Honorary Oscar is too good to be true.

Billy Crystal will definitely, without a doubt get one, but not in the next decade. They aren’t going to start handing out these things to great hosts, and the fact that they did to Steve Martin is great, but they won’t do it often.  

The same case applies with George Clooney and Sean Penn – they are amazing humanatarians, but they are both too young, and they won’t give it to them for at least 5 – 10 years, because they won’t give it to an actor so soon after Angelina Jolie got it last year EXCEPT if the whole Woody Allen scandal causes AMPAS voters to empathize with Mia Farrow, they might take notice of her great humanatarian work. But I don’t think Jean Herscholt will be awarded this year. If it is, it will be to someone like Kathleen Kennedy. I am hoping they give an Irving G. Thalberg to Martin Scorsese for WCF. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the age debate you kind of mentioned is why I think they will go for young. Steve Martin and Billy Crystal are roughly the same age group and Jolie is younger than Clooney and Penn so I don’t think it is a far fecth idea. I think with Lansbury she did movie work but not as much as her TV and Theater work so that is why I mentioned Barkin and Burrnett. Max Von Sydow might be up for one too since he only has 2 nominations. Harrison Ford is another one to look out for. How about Debbie Reynolds? She is a Hollywood gem that would be nice to be honored. She only has been nominated once in her career and that is a shame. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”KyleBailey”]I would love to see Roger Deakins finally get one and David Lynch. For actors, Donald Sutherland, Carol Burnett, Bill Nighy, Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal, Danny Glover, or Ellen Barkin. I could probably list a bunch more. The Humanitarian award should probably go to someone like George Clooney or Sean Penn. 

Roger Deakins and David Lynch will definitely get at some point. They’re too good to be ignored – Lynch will likely get one well into his 80s like another great director, Roger Corman

Donald Sutherland is likely to get one at some point as well. Same with Danny Glover. They are great actors that were never embraced by the AMPAS, so they will certainly have to get one sometime. 

Carol Burnett and Ellen Barkin are in no way movie stars – they are much bigger television stars, and neither have had great film careers. I really doubt that they get Honorary Oscars. But its a possibility.

Meg Ryan needs to have a big comeback to remind the AMPAS that she exists. If she does, then I can certainly see her get an Honorary Oscar – but like Lauren Bacall (another great female romantic star from a definitive film era), Ryan will have to wait until she is in her 70s or 80s.

I love Bill Nighy, but I doubt he gets one. He’s such a good actor, but he has that pesky British stigma hanging above him. I know Angela Lansbury is also British, but she is a damn acting legend. Nighy will receive the BAFTA Fellowship (and perhaps even a knighthood), but an Honorary Oscar is too good to be true.

Billy Crystal will definitely, without a doubt get one, but not in the next decade. They aren’t going to start handing out these things to great hosts, and the fact that they did to Steve Martin is great, but they won’t do it often.  

The same case applies with George Clooney and Sean Penn – they are amazing humanatarians, but they are both too young, and they won’t give it to them for at least 5 – 10 years, because they won’t give it to an actor so soon after Angelina Jolie got it last year EXCEPT if the whole Woody Allen scandal causes AMPAS voters to empathize with Mia Farrow, they might take notice of her great humanatarian work. But I don’t think Jean Herscholt will be awarded this year. If it is, it will be to someone like Kathleen Kennedy. I am hoping they give an Irving G. Thalberg to Martin Scorsese for WCF. [/quote]

She is? I didnt know she was on television so I’ve learned something new.

AMPAS has had plenty of time to round on this. They already know about her humanitarianism.

As for George and Sean, George tends to be rather naive in his support for some onthesurface great causes. It’s Penn who is the far more interesting of the two. For example, he befriended Chavez, and for the same reasons that I would given the chance, which we sure wont get now.

Lol. Whatever happens, I’d say nothing is for “certain” and seniority and win by attrition doesnt always apply.

Btw I appreciate your mention of Roger Corman.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

And how about Ridely Scott? Is he over due? But is he “too young”? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

And how about Ridely Scott? Is he over due? But is he “too young”? 

No! Ridley is an amazing choice (can’t believe I forgot about him ) – he is at the perfect age to receive one, and he’s made such an indelible mark on cinema, he has to get honored at some point. However, I think the only reason he isn’t in the conversation as such as he should be is because he is still actively making films, so the AMPAS still thinks there may be a chance they can give him a competitive one – him and Werner Herzog have to get at some point for sure, but they are still really very active in directing (not bad for a couple of men in their 70s ) . People like David Lynch are probably not going to direct again (Lynch has been flirting with the idea of returning to the medium of film, but I am not entirely convinced – which is sad because Inland Empire is good, but it isn’t a great swan song).

ReplyCopy URL
    Will
    Participant
    Topics:

Ellen Barkin??

This has to be the most random suggestion I’ve ever seen since I’ve been following the Oscars. How on earth does she deserve an Honorary Oscar? Not only is only 60, but her film career is no near the level that warrants an Honorary Oscar. And I like Barkin a lot.

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

If DORIS DAY  doesnt want one or the moronic academy keeps
    passing over her, then NOBODY  deserves to get an honorary
    oscar….she is head and shoulders above any actor who has
    never been honored by the academy.

Jean herscholt-   should be STREISAND

ReplyCopy URL
    Will
    Participant
    Topics:

Doris Day turned them down not once, but twice. Do you honestly believe that nobody should get an Honorary Oscar only because Ms. Day doesn’t have one?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Gena Rowlands for honorary oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Topics:

I don’t “get” how you can turn them down?  Didn’t Peter O’Toole originally try to say no but they said it would be awarded whether he was present or not?  He then changed his mind.  Doris Day should have an Oscar .

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah as I thought about it, Barkin was just a name I saw on a list of people without Oscars but I felt like she had a big movie career. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Governors Awards 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.