Guild Awards 2016

Home // Forums // Movies // Guild Awards 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 170 total)

This topic contains 169 replies, has 4674 views, and was last updated by  GusCruz 4 months, 1 week ago.

• GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

DGA announces feature film nominees tomorrow, but already released the documentary nominees today:

The Eagle Huntress
    O.J.: Made in America
    Weiner
    I Am Not Your Negro
    Life, Animated

No Ava LOL!

With “Eagle Huntress” showing up here and at the Oscars, it looks good for a nod, because of its theme. I’m starting to believe in “Weiner”.

O.J. was not eligible at BAFTA according to The Playlist. I can’t believe it (because awesome things like this don’t often happen at the Oscars), but it’s a solid frontrunner as of now.

Profile photo of Andrew CardenAndrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I can totally picture the Oscars snubbing 13th and/or O.J.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

ASC:

Lion
    La La Land
    Moonlight
    Silence!!!!!!!!!
    Arrival

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Silence is catching up. Watch out for Scorsese tomorrow at the DGA announcement.

Profile photo of Ernest Salazarpacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I was hoping to see “Jackie” make the ASC cut. Oh well. I preferred its photography to at least “Lion” and “Arrival”. I will not see “Silence” until this weekend. I am a little surprised to see “Silence” make it since it seemed even more dead than “Jackie”.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Ernest Salazar pacinofan.
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I was hoping to see “Jackie” make the ASC cut. Oh well. I preferred its photography to at least “Lion” and “Arrival”. I will not see “Silence” until this weekend. I am a little surprised to see “Silence” make it since it seemed even more dead than “Jackie”.

I’m not a fan of Arrival’s cinematography, which is the only one I’ve seen so far.

Profile photo of jacob gitlinjacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey, look at that! A little life for Silence. Feeling somewhat more confident it will make showing at least below the line – I think I still have it in for cinematography and production design.

Profile photo of RileyRiley
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like our Oscar lineup, unlike passion votes pay off for Jackie. It is unfathomable that it is being passed over, given the reverence for Emmanuel Lubezki and 16 mm film.

AnDres Gtz
    Participant
    Topics:

Jackie was always overrated in this website.

Profile photo of AtypicalAtypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Time for DGA predictions!

Damien Chazelle, “La La Land”
    Garth Davis, “Lion”
    Barry Jenkins, “Moonlight”
    Kenneth Lonergan, “Manchester by the Sea”
    Denis Villeneuve, “Arrival”

Profile photo of Paul RankinPaul Rankin
    Participant
    Topics:

ASC:

Lion
    La La Land
    Moonlight
    Silence!!!!!!!!!
    Arrival

Our Oscar winner for Cinematography is likely going to be one of these films. Since the ASC Awards inception only two films snubbed by the ASC have gone on to win the Oscar: Glory(1989) and Pan’s Labyrinth(2006)

My money is on Silence taking the category on Oscar night although La La Land could take it as part of a sweep.

I hope everyone is doing well.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Paul Rankin Paul Rankin.

First Place- 2015 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 Razzie Award Nominations
    First Place- 2015 Academy Of Country Music Awards

Profile photo of Michael ParisiMoviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

Jenkins
    Chazelle
    Lonergan
    Gibson
    Villanueve

Participant
    Topics:

“Silence” has not won a single critics’ award for cinematography while “La La Land” and “Moonlight”, the best picture front runners, have both won many. “Silence” may end up not even being nominated for anything at the Oscars or nominated for very little. Also, cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto was nominated once for “Brokeback Mountain” but he’s no Roger Deakins. He’s not really owed anything. Betting on “Silence” seems a very bad bet. It is in third place at best.

Participant
    Topics:

DGA predictions:
    Damien Chazelle, “La La Land”
    Garth Davis, “Lion”
    Barry Jenkins, “Moonlight”
    Kenneth Lonergan, “Manchester by the Sea”
    David Mackenzie, “Hell or High Water”

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

“Silence” has not won a single critics’ award for cinematography while “La La Land” and “Moonlight”, the best picture front runners, have both won many. “Silence” may end up not even being nominated for anything at the Oscars or nominated for very little. Also, cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto was nominated once for “Brokeback Mountain” but he’s no Roger Deakins. He’s not really owed anything. Betting on “Silence” seems a very bad bet. It is in third place at best.

I agree with you that right now it’s not the safest bet, but that could easily change if the movie ends up overperforming (which, given the low expectations most people seem to have, I think it will).

BTW, I really don’t expect Scorsese to show up tomorrow. The ASC has a MUCH smaller membership compared to the DGA (it’s 300 people vs 15k). Even if screeners were indeed sent out, I’m inclined to believe most haven’t seen it. But it’s Marty, so we can’t totally count it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 170 total)
Reply To: Guild Awards 2016

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.