Home Forums Movies Hitchcock Thread (Released 11/23)

Hitchcock Thread (Released 11/23)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
Scottferguson
babypook
Macbeth
  • Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes I know how many films are being released this year because the list gets bigger and bigger and now we might get a motion picture Hitchcock film released to go head to head with the tv film

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/hitchcocks-vertigo-greatest-movie-all-time-new-oscar-emmy-contenders/

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/08/a_failure_of_ne_1.php

The best actor lineup may be so competitive this year it is unreal. The editor of Hitchcock prasies the performance from Johansson. Now the supporting actress lineup may have another strong contender.

Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I am having a hard time believing a film from a director whose one previous feature is Anvil: The Making of Anvil (a fun film, to be sure) is going to be front and center in the Oscar race. Weirder things have happened, but very rarely.

Fox Searchlight, which is having a strong year – the Oscar run for The Descendants, making the tacky Best Exotic Marigold  Hotel into a hit, Beasts of the Southern Wild on the verge of making the top 10 – has The Sessions (ex-The Surrogate) for sure coming up, but otherwise seems a bit weak later on. However, they do have the possible release of The Stoker, Danny Boyle’s latest (the shooting wrapped late spring), and a couple other films said to be for 2013 that maybe the could grab at. Or perhaps something becomes available at Venice/Telljuride/Toronto that they make a last minute grab for.

Hitchcock almost certainly needs festival play to give it legitimacy. It doesn’t seem like the kind of film to throw in at the last minute, unless it has such a strong lead performance from a previous non-winner (not the case here) a la Crazy Heart that they roll the dice.

Me, I’m not looking forward to this. The pictures of Hopkins make me fear the worst.   

I’m not really looking foorror

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I am not sure about either of these two. The Hopkins film seems like it will be a bit of a failure mainly because it has a director without the experience to handle such a delicate film. I was concerned when Ryan Murphy was announced to be directing. Hopkins does bear a resemblance to Hitchcock but I doubt it will be a memorable, or even memorably bad, film. Won’t be surprised to see it going straight to DVD

ReplyCopy URL
    Blacktie
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll reserve pontificating until a trailer is released. I’m rather intrigued by Hopkins’ upcoming film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Just announced – the release date is 11/23

ReplyCopy URL
    Logan
    Participant
    Topics:
    ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

This is scarey….This will be awful……

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

This could be good. We don’t know.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopkins has a amazing chance of being nominated. so does Mirren.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopkins looks like a butler in a bad 1970s situation comedy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

To be a little less snarky, and understanding that of course one shouldn’t judge a film by a poster, what bothers me, if it is a true representation of the film, it looks like a play on Hitchcock’s TV series intro persona.

Based on everything I’ve read about Hitchcock, and talking to some people who knew him (including Janet Leigh and his daughter Patricia), his TV personality had as little to do with what he was like in person as the personae that big stars create for themselves on screen and what they are really like. He was a painfully shy man outside of work situations, not communicative in person, directed his movies almost entirely before they were shot and mainly had assistants convey instructions to cast and crew. In other words, not exactly a dynamo in person. He was the antithesis of spontaneous, hated surprises, was a control freak.

Hopkins is made up and looks otherwise in the poster like the TV Hitchcock. If that is what the performance is like on screen, it won’t be close to capturing the real man, who likely is nearly impossible to capture.   

ReplyCopy URL
    M H
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopkins looks like a butler in a bad 1970s situation comedy.

I was trying to come up with a description if what I was seeing in this picture, and you nailed it perfectly.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m looking forward to this and wonder where Helen Mirren will be placed as awards’ contender.

ReplyCopy URL
    gwendolynthemovie
    Participant
    Topics:

Everytime I see the poster for Hitchcock I always do a double take thinking it’s Peter Boyle or Robert Morely. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Robert Morley is dead on

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
Reply To: Hitchcock Thread (Released 11/23)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.