Home Forums Movies Honorary Oscars: Governor's Awards for 2016

Honorary Oscars: Governor's Awards for 2016

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The other thread was way too deep and went back several years. Let’s start a new one discussing the strongest possibilities to receive the 2016 honorary Oscars at the Governor’s Awards. The decisions should be announced soon.

Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

A few possibilities for the various types of awards…

DIRECTORS:
    Michael Apted
    Peter Bogdanovich
    James Ivory
    Mike Leigh
    Richard Lester
    David Lynch
    Rob Reiner
    Ridley Scott
    Peter Weir

PERFORMERS:
    Ned Beatty
    Leslie Caron
    Glenn Close
    Billy Crystal
    Doris Day
    Catherine Deneuve
    Mia Farrow
    Albert Finney
    Harrison Ford
    Hal Holbrook
    Ian McKellen
    Jeanne Moreau
    Kim Novak
    Martin Sheen
    Donald Sutherland
    Cicely Tyson
    Liv Ullmann
    Max von Sydow
    Gene Wilder

OTHERS:
    Michael Ballhaus (cinematography)
    Albert Brenner (designer)
    Anne V. Coates (editor)
    Roger Deakins (cinematography)
    Robert Evans (producer)
    Philip Glass (composer)
    Werner Herzog (documentary)
    Philip Kaufman (writer)
    Richard Marks (editor)
    Kevin O’Connell (sound)
    Neil Simon (writer)
    Lynn Stalmaster (casting)
    Douglas Trumbull (visual effects)
    Frederick Wiseman (documentary)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Chris Beachum.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Chris Beachum.
    ReplyCopy URL
    arat
    Participant
    Topics:

Albert Finney before it’s posthumous.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Albert Finney before it’s posthumous.

I second that! Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead, Murder On The Orient Express, Erin Brokovich, so many excellent performances throughout the years, Albert Finney deserves some kind of recognition for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Glad Chris has Glenn Close on his list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Go Ian McKellen!

ReplyCopy URL
    David Vn
    Participant
    Topics:

I would pick director David Lynch and actor Max Von Sydow.

Also composers Trevor Jones (Dark Crystal) or Christopher Young (Hellraiser).

After a few years in a row with the Jean Hersholt honoree I would have an Irving Thalberg winner this year for a change.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

To me this is a “no brainer”…..it should be Doris Day. I have read that she doesn’t want it, won’t accept it in person etc. but she should absolutely have an Oscar. I am hoping they will offer her the Humanitarian award which she hopefully would accept since it would bring awareness to her foundation for the welfare of animals. She has worked tirelessly all her life for this cause. Fingers are crossed!

ReplyCopy URL
    MHS83
    Participant
    Topics:

The other thread was way too deep and went back several years.

That is what made it fun. We could look back over what others’ (and our own) thoughts were over the years. It is our institutional memory.

ReplyCopy URL
    MHS83
    Participant
    Topics:

To me this is a “no brainer”…..it should be Doris Day. I have read that she doesn’t want it, won’t accept it in person etc. but she should absolutely have an Oscar. I am hoping they will offer her the Humanitarian award which she hopefully would accept since it would bring awareness to her foundation for the welfare of animals. She has worked tirelessly all her life for this cause. Fingers are crossed!

I don’t think it’s so much an issue of whether she would attend so much as she does not want the attention that any kind of award would bring. Even if she choses to stay at home, she would be forced to deal with the hordes of journalists and photographers descending on her private life. If AMPAS were to give her any award they would be forcing her into the very spotlight that she has been trying to avoid all this time. Any true fan of hers would respect that and not keep bringing this up every year.

ReplyCopy URL
    BamaEd
    Participant
    Topics:

I think another one who would deserve a Jean Hersholt would be Mia Farrow. She’s been working tirelessly for years on behalf of many charities and causes.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

I think another one who would deserve a Jean Hersholt would be Mia Farrow. She’s been working tirelessly for years on behalf of many charities and causes.

Mia Farrow has lived a life of great commitment to the world’s children.

Personally, she has opened her home and with her various lovers and husbands raised 14 children. Some are her biological children. Some are adopted. Some are refugees. Some are children of color. Some are disabled. All are now grown and reportedly independent.

As an advocate for the world’s children, Mia Farrow has traveled extensively as an ambassador for UNICEF. She has brought media attention to focus on the most desperate circumstances.

Yet, she has not been recognized by the Academy, and I don’t think she ever will be.

Farrow is far too outspoken to receive support from the insular world of AMPAS. Look at the controversy she raised in 2007 when Oscar winning director Steven Spielberg was serving as an official consultant to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

Farrow opposed the games in China because of its “atrocious” human rights record, in particular the genocide in Darfur. She called out Spielberg by name, “That so many corporate sponsors want the world to look away from that atrocity is bad enough,” she wrote, “but equally disappointing is the decision of artists like director Steven Spielberg — who quietly visited China this month as he prepares to help stage the Olympic ceremonies — to sanitize Beijing’s image.”

Farrow’s righteous indignation didn’t stop there. Her most controversial statement of that particular incident must be, “Does Mr. Spielberg really want to go down in history as the Leni Riefenstahl of the Beijing Games?”

Ouch. Given Spielberg’s commitment a decade earlier to found the Shoah Project which documented the oral histories of as many then still living Holocaust survivors as possible, that remark had to sting.

Farrow is clearly a brilliant actress who has never been nominated for an acting Oscar. Farrow is a remarkably articulate advocate for the most neediest children of the world who are ignored by the media and subsequently society. Unlike previous UNICEF ambassadors Angelina Jolie and Audrey Hepburn who dedicated years of their lives to children and were honored with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, Farrow is simply too intense in her advocacy for nicely attired millionaires at a lovely dinner in Los Angeles.

Can you imagine the room as she delivered her acceptance speech?

ReplyCopy URL
    BamaEd
    Participant
    Topics:

Mia Farrow has lived a life of great commitment to the world’s children.

Personally, she has opened her home and with her various lovers and husbands raised 14 children. Some are her biological children. Some are adopted. Some are refugees. Some are children of color. Some are disabled. All are now grown and reportedly independent.

As an advocate for the world’s children, Mia Farrow has traveled extensively as an ambassador for UNICEF. She has brought media attention to focus on the most desperate circumstances.

Yet, she has not been recognized by the Academy, and I don’t think she ever will be.

Farrow is far too outspoken to receive support from the insular world of AMPAS. Look at the controversy she raised in 2007 when Oscar winning director Steven Spielberg was serving as an official consultant to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

Farrow opposed the games in China because of its “atrocious” human rights record, in particular the genocide in Darfur. She called out Spielberg by name, “That so many corporate sponsors want the world to look away from that atrocity is bad enough,” she wrote, “but equally disappointing is the decision of artists like director Steven Spielberg — who quietly visited China this month as he prepares to help stage the Olympic ceremonies — to sanitize Beijing’s image.”

Farrow’s righteous indignation didn’t stop there. Her most controversial statement of that particular incident must be, “Does Mr. Spielberg really want to go down in history as the Leni Riefenstahl of the Beijing Games?”

Ouch. Given Spielberg’s commitment a decade earlier to found the Shoah Project which documented the oral histories of as many then still living Holocaust survivors as possible, that remark had to sting.

Farrow is clearly a brilliant actress who has never been nominated for an acting Oscar. Farrow is a remarkably articulate advocate for the most neediest children of the world who are ignored by the media and subsequently society. Unlike previous UNICEF ambassadors Angelina Jolie and Audrey Hepburn who dedicated years of their lives to children and were honored with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, Farrow is simply too intense in her advocacy for nicely attired millionaires at a lovely dinner in Los Angeles.

Can you imagine the room as she delivered her acceptance speech?

Yes to all of this, that’s why I would love it. If Elia Kazan could name names and get an award, why not Mia 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

My picks would be Ridley Scott, Max Von Sydow and Cicely Tyson.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

They’re taking their sweet time to announce the names.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.