Home Forums Movies How did Helen Hayes win in 1970?

How did Helen Hayes win in 1970?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I always thought that was an overdue type award but she really didn’t have that great of a film career. One was really enough for her IMO.

ESPECIALLY with Maureen Stapleton in the same movie. I mean Stapleton really just steals that whole film in the final scenes. So moving and touching.

Was Hayes helped by the fact that her character is so involved in the big climatic moment of the film?

The scene where they try to take the bomb away from the guy is really pretty riveting film making. Even Dean Martin who I don’t think was really ever considered a great actor is pretty wonderful in that scene. His monologue about bringing shame to the surviving family members of a bomber pays off so well in Stapleton’s scene at the end and is sadly relevant in today’s times.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  RobertPius.
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

The Academy was kinder to veterans then. Hence making Hayes the first acting winner to win a second Oscar in the supporting category after previously winning a lead Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

When Helen Hayes playing a stowaway on the ill-fated jet charmed audiences as the comic relief in Airport, the award was seen then more as a collective hug for the ill theater veteran.

The then named First Lady of the Theater, Hayes had been hospitalized several times in the 1960s for bronchial infections. Ultimately, her physician deemed her severely allergic to “backstage dust” and her career in the theater drew to a close. Her last Broadway performances were in a much celebrated revival of Harvey opposite James Stewart who had been Oscar nominated for the film version two decades earlier.

Airport was Hayes’s return to Hollywood. She was obviously welcomed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

The win was indeed ludicrous – I think Karen Black should’ve prevailed in a cakewalk – but if I’m not mistaken, a lot of critics at the time, even those who disliked Airport, actually singled out Hayes as a bright spot.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (2000) – Attack of the Swan!

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

The voting I am thinking would have been close with Maureen Stapleton (Airport), Karen Black (Five Easy Pieces), Sally Kellerman (MASH) as well as Hayes all strong nominees. Lee Grant in “The Landlord” likely was not a factor. Looking back now I would have voted for Stapleton with Black my second choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Though she was snubbed, I prefer Faye Dunaway as Mrs. Pendrake in Little Big Man.

ReplyCopy URL
    SouthernManz
    Participant
    Topics:

Karen Black was far and away the best performance, but Hayes was outclassed in her own film by Stapleton and her great work. Hayes may have been third, but Grant and Kellerman were the weakest choices. I’d have preferred Bea Arthur in “Lovers and Other Strangers”. For that matter Iu’d have added Anne Jackson or Marian Hailey either for the latter. Or even Estelle Parsons for “I Never Sang for My Father”.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  SouthernManz.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  SouthernManz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Sally Kellerman in MASH is an odd performance. I don’t think it is her fault (didn’t they improvise some of the film?) but the character is so inconsistent. One minute she is the uptight butt of jokes then suddenly she is the cheer leading silly nurse.

Ah, Lovers and Other Strangers that is a nice film. Forgot about that one. Bea Arthur is very funny in her “who’s happy” monologue and yes Anne Jackson was great too as was the very young Diane Keaton.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Kellerman would actually be my runner-up to Black, followed by Grant, Stapleton and Hayes.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (2000) – Attack of the Swan!

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

Estelle Parsons absolutely should have been nominated for “I Never Sang for My Father”……she would be my number one choice. She was great!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.