Home Forums Movies How did this happen at the 1944 Oscars?!?!

How did this happen at the 1944 Oscars?!?!

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure if any of you know this but in 1944 Barry Fitzgerald won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in “Going my Way”. But the thing thats puzzling me is that in the same year he won, he was also nominared for Best Leading Actor in the same film “Going my Way”…..

How did he manage to get nominated in the lead and supporting categories for one performance in one film?!?!

Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Because no rule prevented it, Fitzgerald’s role was large enough to be considered lead, and he ended up getting enough nominations for both. The rule changed the following year, and is one still in play to this day (that is any performance can be voted on for either category, if both get enough votes to be nominated, the one with the higher total gets in).

The Academy doesn’t predetermine category for acting.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Because at that point they didn’t yet have a rule saying you could only be nominated in one category for the same performance. So in that scenario he must have been a borderline supporting/leading role and gotten enough votes for a nomination in each category. But then once it was announced what were they going to take away one of the noms? which one? It’s pretty funny, and I’m pretty sure that immediately after that year they made the rule that you could only be nominated for one.

And also funny is I’m pretty sure there was some actress who was nominated for both a comedy and a drama golden globe for the same movie. I have been looking for it and can’t find who it was so I may be wrong but if anyone wants to confirm im not crazy tht would be a huge help. And If I’m remembering right they also immediately after made a rule for that

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, there was. Judy Holliday for Born Yesterday. A terrific underrated performance, but a drama performance?!

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, there was. Judy Holliday for Born Yesterday. A terrific underrated performance, but a drama performance?!

Thank you that makes me feel better haha it was actually driving me crazy i couldn’t remember who it was 

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

My favorite award weirdness is how Adam’s Rib received a WGA nomination for best written comedy in 1950 and then again in 1951. Does somebody know how this happened?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

To be fair, she has wonderful dramatic moments there and the film itself was nominated as Best Drama Motion Picture. It was also the very first year when Golden Globes have divided Drama and Musical/Comedy so the line must have been blurred. But as they came up with Holliday, Davis and Swanson, how can anyone argue with that?

I also like the weirdness of several foreign language films getting nods/wins in their categories at the Oscars and their showing up in a major ones the following year after American premiere. It’s good that it can’t happen again. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Fritz
    Topics:

Another weird award trivia: Around the World in 80 Days won the Golden Globe for Best Drama but Cantinflas won the award for Best Actor in a Comedy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jose Manuel Garcia
    Participant
    Topics:

Another weird award trivia: Around the World in 80 Days won the Golden Globe for Best Drama but Cantinflas won the award for Best Actor in a Comedy.

welcome back my friend. you have been missed! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jose Manuel Garcia
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Globes are quite funny, dramatic performances in Musicals have been nominated for best comedy/musical performance but Bjork was nominated in Drama. I wonder why? 

I think one of the most horrible oscars had to been “Sweet Leilani”. It had been recorded much sooner than the movie, and i remember reading that the people who did the score for the film was horrified when it won best Song. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Ethel Charles
    Topics:

Anyone know what happens if you get nominated in lead and supporting, with enough votes, if totaled, to get into either category? Are votes totaled and then you get slotted into whatever category you got the most votes in OR are votes tallied for one of the categories only (which would suggest you better make it clear what category you’re going for)?

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

When this happens (it likely does – see under Winslet, where she got lead votes for two films and lead and supporting for one of them) – they see the results of both categories, and the one with the highest count is the one chosen.

This is done by Price Waterhouse under preset rules – the Academy learns of the results after they are calculated (the ones preparing the nomination show hours before).

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

As for Adam’s Rib –

Thanks to IMDb’s idiotic method of assigning a year to awards by when they are held, not the year of eligibility (which leads to no end of confusion – they are invaluable, but this stuff is easily corrected and they should do it), the years for Adam’s Rib are off.

It was a 1949 release, and nominated for 1949 awards, including WGA.

I don’t see that their website lists nominees for indidual years. I’m guessing the double listing for 49 and 50 is simply an error on IMDb’s part.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ethel Charles
    Topics:

What about the following scenario – I get say 50 votes for lead and 40 votes for supporting for the same performance. Say I need 60 votes to get nominated in lead and say 55 in supporting. Do they total both category votes to get 90 in lead since more voted for in that category, or do I split my votes and not get a nomination, even though if totaled I’d have more than enough to get nominated in either category? I’m assuming the latter, so that one’s agent, etc. must specify in advance where they think the nomination should go. How calculating is this I wonder or do some actors prefer to let the cards fall where they may so as to not appear to oscar grabbing?

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

The funniest error among nominations, which really happened, and never should have, was the nomination for best original screenplay for High Society in 1955.

The film that was nominated was a Bowery Boys/Monogram studio B-movie. It was listed on the eligibility sheet, for original screenplay, because it was automatically included. As always, the names of the writers weren’t listed.

However, there was a movie coming out also called High Society – a musical remake of The Philadelphia Story. Apparently, enough brain-dead members – who hasn’t seen the film, but knew it was coming out, and possibly knew its writers – voted for it – even though the latter film clearly, as a remake, was not an original screenplay.

Anyway, the nominations were announced, the obvious error was realized, and the writers of the Monogram High Society consented to having their nominations vacated.

The 1956 High Society didn’t get nominated for screenplay.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Reply To: How did this happen at the 1944 Oscars?!?!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.