Home Forums Movies If AFI does another Top 100, what new films would make the cut?

If AFI does another Top 100, what new films would make the cut?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:

The American Film Institute did their top 100 list in 1998, and then a revised 10th anniversary edition in 2007. We’re coming up on another 10 years, so if the AFI does another list, what films since 2007 do you think might make the cut?

I think “There Will Be Blood” might get on there. Maybe “The Social Network” and “Boyhood.” “12 Years a Slave” and/or “Gravity” also, unless those are considered too British to qualify.

Actually, going back a couple of years, “Brokeback Mountain” could have been on the last list, but it was still so recent. I think enough time has passed that we have enough perspective on the film’s cultural impact and it might be able to get into the top 100.

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Brokeback pretty much certainly would.

Toy Story 3, Wall-E and UP would battle it out for a slot – I think only 1 could make it though.

Maybe something like Inception might make it in there? Brilliantly original, they don’t have a sci-if snobbery (I know it’s not true sci-if but still).

Speaking of, Gravity and 12 Years a Slave should both be on a revised list. Both were eligible for their Top 10 of the Year list for 2013. Can’t see there being a problem now.

Whiplash deserves a shot to make it on the list.

The Social Network speaks so much about the social media generation, and is referred to as the Citizen Kane of the 21st Century for such reasons. As such, it should be on a revised list.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly made it on their top 10 list too in 2007. Shouldn’t that make it eligible?

And of course, one film largely deserves to be on the list just for being effortlessly cool – Drive. An instant classic – and worthy of a place on the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Brokeback pretty much certainly would.

Toy Story 3, Wall-E and UP would battle it out for a slot – I think only 1 could make it though.

Maybe something like Inception might make it in there? Brilliantly original, they don’t have a sci-if snobbery (I know it’s not true sci-if but still).

Speaking of, Gravity and 12 Years a Slave should both be on a revised list. Both were eligible for their Top 10 of the Year list for 2013. Can’t see there being a problem now.

Whiplash deserves a shot to make it on the list.

The Social Network speaks so much about the social media generation, and is referred to as the Citizen Kane of the 21st Century for such reasons. As such, it should be on a revised list.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly made it on their top 10 list too in 2007. Shouldn’t that make it eligible?

And of course, one film largely deserves to be on the list just for being effortlessly cool – Drive. An instant classic – and worthy of a place on the list.

Nice list. But why do you say that about Inception?

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Only because it’s not ‘set in space’ sci-fi, but it still is in the general realm of sci-fi/fantasy/action/out-there if that makes sense? For some lists/organisations, that equals a black mark against their name, but with the AFI that doesn’t seem to be the case.

What I said was in no way negative against Inception. I watched it for the first time in a few years last week and loved it once again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Mad Max: Fury Road

It might still be too recent to make it onto a 2017 list, but if they did a 2027 list it would certainly make it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Do movies on their yearly list only qualify? 

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Well, shouldn’t we begin by stating which films should be removed to make room for any of the additions?

Also, it’s important to note that even in 2007 only one film from this century made the list (The Fellowship of the Ring). It’s likely that only one or two additionaly films from this century would make a 110th Anniversary list in 2017.

The Wikipedia page also addresses the “criteria” that jurors were asked when evaluating films.

All that being said…

what should be removed:
    #98 Yankee Doodle Dandy – 1942
    #89 The Sixth Sense – 1999
    #78 Modern Times – 1936
    #76 Forrest Gump – 1994
    #61 Sullivan’s Travels – 1941
    #58 The Gold Rush – 1925

what post-2007 films should be added in 2017:
    Carol – criteria: critical recognition, major award winner, cultural impact
    Gravity – criteria: historical significance, major award winner

what pre-2007 films should be added in 2017:
    Days of Heaven
    The Lion King
    Moulin Rouge!
    Thelma & Louise

ReplyCopy URL
    Michael Norris
    Participant
    Topics:

Potential films that come to mind:

Mulholland Dr.
    The Tree of Life 
    Boyhood
    Birdman
    12 Years a Slave
    Gravity
    Inception

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I think both There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men would be on the list, probably Brokeback Mountain and The Social Network as well. Any more than that might be pushing it, though stuff like The Tree of Life and Boyhood would also be possible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m thinking “Brokeback Mountain” would take the place of “The Sixth Sense,” which has been both forgotten over the past decade or so and tainted by its director’s disastrous follow-ups. I can fathom “The Social Network” on there too, perhaps in place of “Gulliver’s Travels.” Maybe even “12 Years a Slave.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

12 Years a Slave and There Will Be Blood seem like no brainers – I would be shocked if they didn’t make it on there, and at least ranked in the 80’s. AFI doesn’t like extremely recent movies, so if these were the only two to be added from this century, I wouldn’t be surprised. However, there are many other possibilities, and I’ll start with some of the most popular directors working today:

I think one Nolan film could get a slot, but what that one would be is anyone’s guess. It seems Inception is the best bet, but maybe they’d pick Memento due to its age and growing admiration. We all know The Dark Knight is the most popular choice among the public, though – and who knows? They’re no strangers to populist moves like that, it has by far the greatest chance of any superhero film, and I could see it becoming much more admired in years to come. 

A Fincher film seems quite possible as well. Se7en is liked by audiences but is not beloved critically, Zodiac is too recent and too light, and Benjamin Button is way too divisive. The best bets are Fight Club and the Social Network. 

They adore Spielberg, and if they were going to add one I guess it’d be Lincoln or bringing back Close Encounters of the Third Kind. He’s been making great but not revolutionary films lately, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he lost a slot or two actually. 

I’m a huge Tim Burton fan, so I’ve been rooting for one of his films to make it for a while. His best chance would easily be Edward Scissorhands, but I’m afraid his films may be loved by many but aren’t “best film ever” material – and he’s only been going downhill since Sweeney Todd, which was fantastic but of course has no chance to make it. Sigh. 

As for animation, Pixar seems the most likely to nab a spot, as they did with Toy Story in the last list. I could see either Wall-E or Up entering very low, and Toy Story going higher. However, I could also see them wanting to honor the medium but going more classic – in that case, Beauty and the Beast and/or The Lion King would be very reasonable choices.

Other possibilities:
    Gladiator
    Braveheart

Good Will Hunting
    The Pianist
    The Departed
    Brokeback Mountain
    No Country for Old Men 
    The Night of the Hunter
    Roman Holiday

Reservoir Dogs
    Gandhi (for some reason I have a hunch that this is exactly the type of movie they’d pick, making tons of people angry)

Films that were once on the list but were removed in the updated version and should be brought back:
    Amadeus (my favorite film of all time, and it was one of the biggest droppers in the updated version – number 53 to being removed altogether!)
    Fargo
    Stagecoach
    Rebel Without a Cause
    From Here to Eternity
    The Third Man

Films that should be removed:
    Yankee Doodle Dandy
    Forrest Gump
    Tootsie
    Bringing Up Baby

Easy Rider
    Swing Time
    The Gold Rush (Chaplin already has two other films on the list and a few others more deserving, such as The Kid and The Great Dictator)
    Basically any film that you just KNOW they added because it was old. Don’t get me wrong, I know Nolan films aren’t the greatest of all time, no matter what IMDb says – but who on Earth thinks “Swing Time” is best film ever material but NOT Inception, The Dark Knight, or Memento?

Films that should be much higher that are currently on the list:
    Blade Runner
    Goodfellas
    Silence of the Lambs
    Shawshank Redemption
    (popular choice, not necessarily mine)
    Saving Private Ryan
    Taxi Driver
    Dr. Strangelove
    Godfather Part II
    (better than Part I IMO)
    The Grapes of Wrath

ReplyCopy URL
    Mad Max Guitarist
    Participant
    Topics:

They should bring back Fargo! How they dropped Fargo from the list in 2007 is still beyond me. Anyway post-2007 film that could be added include:

No Country for Old Men
    There Will Be Blood
    The Hurt Locker
    The Social Network
    Inception
    Toy Story 3
    The Tree of Life (fair game here, I loathed this film, but everybody seems enjoy it)
    12 Years a Slave
    Boyhood
    Mad Max: Fury Road

Pre 2007:
    LOTR 2 & 3
    Fargo
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    Charade
    Manhattan
    Hannah and Her Sisters
    Paths of Glory
    Alien
    The Third Man
    JFK
    Rebecca
    The Usual Suspects
    Amadeus
    L.A. Confidential
    The Shining
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 
    Reservoir Dogs 
    The Exorcist 
    Million Dollar Baby
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    The Pianist
    The Elephant Man
    Dog Day Afternoon
    Mulholland Drive
    American Beauty 
    Die Hard 
    American Graffiti
    Dazed and Confused
    Days of Heaven 
    Carrie 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

All I care about is the AFI getting a grip and recognising the existence of Orson Welles films other than Citizen Kane – which ironically, topped the list both times. Seems rather dutiful to me, as their sensibilities evidenced by the rest of the list suggest that they really prefer movies like Casablanca and Gone with the Wind. 

Also 2001 needs to be in the top 10, and Vertigo hopefully will be pushed even further ahead after its catapult in 2007. That’s if they even do another of these silly lists at all. 

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll be conservative and say that only ‘There Will Be Blood’ and ‘Brokeback Mountain’ make the list. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jack Renaud
    Participant
    Topics:

THE FILMS I’D MOST LIKELY ENJOY TO SEE ARE FILMS SUCH AS…
    WHIPLASH
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    FIGHT CLUB
    NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.