January 17, 2015 at 6:40 am #174007
If “American Hustle” had been released in 2014, could it win
Could David O. Russell win Best Director?
I can’t help but wonder how the film would have fared
against this year’s competition.
What do you think?
January 17, 2015 at 6:49 am #174009
Nah. It would suffer the same comparisons to Boyhood and Birdman as it did to 12 Years a Slave and Gravity, and ultimately come up short. It would probably only have a real shot at winning one category (costumes) with this year’s competition.January 17, 2015 at 6:52 am #174010
The four actors would have all gotten in again. Lawrence would have stood a chance of winning. Russell would have lost out to Linklater. It could well have won for Screenplay. Boyhood would still be the Picture winner.January 17, 2015 at 7:11 am #174011
I think it would have done worse against this year’s fare and would’ve been much better off last year.
It likely would’ve been in Picture, making it 9.
O’Russell would’ve bumped Tyldum.
Adams may have been left off, as she was this year.
Bale wouldn’t have gotten into this best actor lineup.
Cooper could’ve been a double nominee taking Duvall’s spot.
Lawrence would have been nominated but wouldn’t have won.
It would have been nominated for Costumes, but lost to Budapest
It would have a shot of staying in Editing, but wouldn’t win.
I don’t think it would’ve stayed in Production Design.
It would likely get into screenplay, but would have no shot of winning.
So instead of 0/10, I think it would go 0/7.January 17, 2015 at 7:18 am #174012
Bale would have bumped Carell
Adams would have bumped Cotillard
Cooper would have bumped either Duvall or Ruffalo
Lawrence would have bumped Dern
O. Russell would have bumped Miller.January 17, 2015 at 9:45 am #174013
Nope. Boyhood, The Theory of Everything, and Birdman would still have stood in its way.January 17, 2015 at 9:48 am #174014
No, because it would have been just as terrible in 2014 as it was in 2013.January 17, 2015 at 10:17 am #174015
No, because it would have been just as terrible in 2014 as it was in 2014.
[img]http://media.giphy.com/media/n5oYbKrHYXylq/giphy.gif[/img]January 17, 2015 at 10:20 am #174016
Kinda hard to imagine….
1. BP: AH remains in the top 9. If it stayed at 8, TToE is the most vulnerable. (I wonder where the support for Selma came from here. Regardless, I’m happy for this token nomination)
2. Lead Actor: Christian Bale may or may not crack this lineup. If he did, Carell could show up in Supporting.
3. Supporting Actor: It might have been interesting seeing Cooper nominated twice in the same category so we could watch him compete with himself.
4. Lead Actress: Amy would be nominated, and Cotillard is vulnerable.
5. Supporting Actress: Interesting. Jennifer is back in, Keira is the most vulnerable. This may have been the most compelling category.
6. Costume Design: Well I would hope not. But who knows? Maybe, in which case Inherent Vice is vulnerable.
7. Film Editing: I’m in pain thinking AH would have much of a chance in this category, but if it reared it’s ugly head here, it might be Whiplash that suffers; or rather, the least likely winner of BP from this category. With a BP and Director nod, why not.
8. Production Design: Maybe. There are higher profile people working in some of the other nominees, but AH would have likely been competitive here. I think it’s between TIG and AH for that spot.
9. Original Screenplay: AH is in. Foxcatcher, isnt.
10: Director: David is in. Bennett, is out.
I’m not saying any of these ‘changes’ are good or bad, but there it is.January 17, 2015 at 10:57 am #174017
You make it sound like 1) AH is such a great movie and 2) Boyhood is soft competition. Boyhood is more of a slam dunk than 12 Years and Gravity were last year.January 17, 2015 at 2:21 pm #174018
No, because it would have been just as terrible in 2014 as it was in 2014.January 17, 2015 at 4:31 pm #174019
No, because it would have been just as terrible in 2014 as it was in 2013.January 17, 2015 at 6:10 pm #174020
[quote=”LFTSPICE44″]No, because it would have been just as terrible in 2014 as it was in 2013.
[/quote]January 17, 2015 at 7:59 pm #174021
No, because it would have been just as terrible in 2014 as it was in 2013.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.