If Rachel Weisz went lead in 2005…

Home // Forums // Movies // If Rachel Weisz went lead in 2005…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Beyonce
    Participant
    Topics:

would Reese still win?
    who would win supporting actress?

this is just hypothetical, let’s not discuss was she really lead or supporting, please!

Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

On the first point, definitely yes. Reese had already proven herself to be successful at headlining both critical and commercial features (from Election to Legally Blonde). She really had the feeling of “It Girl”, and I imagine Hollywood wanted to acknowledge that. Although Weisz is certainly recognizable, I don’t think she’s been that interested in engaging in the same kind of career trajectory, so I doubt the incentive to recognize her with a Best Actress prize would have been as prevalent.

For Supporting, Amy Adams would have come out ahead. She was obviously seen as the standout of her film. 

ReplyCopy URL
    MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

Weisz would have got the nom instead of Dench/Knightly, the supporting would have gone to Williiams IMO. But yeah, Witherspoon would have won anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    Milo Kunis
    Participant
    Topics:

Reese still would have won. Weisz was in lead at BAFTA that year, and Witherspoon still swept. 

I like to think that Michelle Williams would have prevailed in Supporting. She was certainly my choice that year. But I would probably say that it would have been Williams or Amy Adams that won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Reese Witherspoon would have still won.
    Rachel Weisz would have been nominated in leading and Charlize Theron would have been snubbed.
    Amy Adams would have won.

Only good things would have come out of it. Such a shame she went supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    dude
    Topics:

Reese still would have won. Weisz was in lead at BAFTA that year, and Witherspoon still swept. 

I like to think that Michelle Williams would have prevailed in Supporting. She was certainly my choice that year. But I would probably say that it would have been Williams or Amy Adams that won.

I agree, although it might have seemed odd for the female nominee to win when BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN was groundbreaking for its gay content. OTOH, being the wife of a gay man was a big part of what people experienced in that era.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

Unfortunately, Rachel Weisz would have been no competition for Reese Witherspoon.

In Supporting Actress, I think Michelle Williams would have won.

I thought about Amy Adams, but she wasn’t “Amy Adams” back then. She was an unknown actress appearing in a very, very small movie. I can see a well known performer winning for a small movie or a completely unknown performer winning for a big (either with the public or with the Oscars) movie, but when you are unknown and your movie is “Junebug”, you are in a tough spot.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually think she would have been competitive with Reese, but her low screen time would have really hurt her. I agree that Adams would have won instead, and boy would that have changed the last few years!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Tough call. We’ll never know but, imo, Weisz was better than all the other 9 women in both categories. But by the time they reach this point, it’s never really about the performance.

I think Weisz gives Witherspoon a run for the statue, even though the latter was akin to a juggernaut that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Then Amy Adams would have had an Oscar and then there would be peace on Earth.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

This has been covered before, but let’s say it again. Weisz still looses to Witherspoon and everybody asumes Adams would have won supporting actress.

That was a tricky year for both female categories, lots of filler nominees, not enough screentime and a lot of lazy voting. McDormand and Keener are so obviously out, Williams might have taken it, Adams might have been hurt by being so unknown but she did get the nomination after all. Actors also saw it before since she got in for SAG. So now everbody has to see the film and she probably is our winner. You can’t compare the others to Adams. She’s my winner with Weisz still in the category, and plenty of unknowns have won before, so I don’t think it would’ve been that hard.

I don’t remember that year that much, who would have been the 5th nominee in supporting? Thandie Newton? Sandra Bullock? Brenda Blethyn? I can’t remember the other contenders…was Taraji Henson ever in the mix? 

ReplyCopy URL
    GraemeONeil
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, this is a tough argument to make since Weisz was totally supporting. I mean she’s completely absent from the second half of the film. She’s a lead in that first hour, but then she’s gone. She’s so good that her presence is felt for the rest of the film, but yeah, she’s not a lead. I know people wanted to see Amy Adams win for Junebug, but come on, Weisz was phenomenal.

Side note: I miss Rachel Weisz. I wish she wasn’t so anti-Hollywood. She’s so delightful in everything she does. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Witherspoon still would have won.  I think one of the Crash ladies,  most likely  Sandra Bullock would have that slot,   Adams probably would have won,  although  it is possible that the  other branches may not have gotten around to seeing Junebug to get her to win, but I think she would have managed it.  

Keira  would have probably been snubbed if Weisz went lead.  Huffman was obviously in, Theron had goodwill left over from her Monster win and  Oscar loves Dame Judi,  so Knightley would have been pushed out.    

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: If Rachel Weisz went lead in 2005…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.