Home Forums Movies If there had been SAG Awards in 1991

If there had been SAG Awards in 1991

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
babypook
manakamana
Tyler The Awe..
  • Tariq Khan
    Participant
    Topics:

was a fascinating awards year. I’ve always been curious as to how the SAG races
    would have gone, had the SAG Awards been in existence at the time.

For
    best motion picture cast, would eventual Oscar winner “The Silence of the
    Lambs” have received a nomination? With so many great ensemble films that
    year, it would have been tough. I can see the best cast category looking like
    this:

“Bugsy”

“The
    Fisher King”

“Fried
    Green Tomatoes”

“Grand
    Canyon”

“JFK”

Which
    of those films would have won? I suspect maybe “JFK,” though a split
    with “Bugsy” might have led to a surprise win by the popular
    “Fried Green Tomatoes.” But if “Silence” had been
    nominated, could it have won?

And by
    the way, would Oscar winner Anthony Hopkins have won Best Actor at SAG? Does
    anyone think that Nick Nolte in “The Prince of Tides” might have
    edged him out?

And if
    Nolte had won at SAG, would he have still lost the Oscar? It’s hard to image
    the LAFC/Globe/SAG winner losing the Academy Award…though it’s also hard to
    imagine “Silence” sweeping without Hopkins.

I’m
    curious to hear your thoughts.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

With Silence being one of a handful to win top Five, it’s hard to imagine it not winning SAG. On the other hand, Tides and Nolte had enormous momentum that year and many had him leading the way.

Hopkins wins SAG. The film has much stiffer competition. I’m happy to see Grand Canyon up there as a possibility, but that whimsical film was probably a long shot. And JFK, may have been too controversial for an endorsement. Few want “questions”. That may cause them to think afterall.

It’s dismaying not seeing Boyz n The Hood up there. That was a supreme cast too.

Between Bugsy and Silence, I’d go with Bugsy. But it’s close.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s tricky to guess because SAG seemed like such a different beast when it started handing out film prizes in the 90s. I would venture to guess that Bugsy seemed like the more prototypical SAG choice — not as studious of an actors’ showcase as JFK but one of those overstuffed star-studded period pieces (not unlike Shakespeare in Love or American Hustle).

Especially back then, I’m sure Silence of the Lambs could have gone on to win Best Picture without the Ensemble mention here. But perhaps here is where we would have seen the first sign of Anthony Hopkins overtaking Nolte. I like to think Tommy Lee Jones would’ve bested Palance, but SAG loves their heretofore unrewarded legends. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

• Warren Beatty – Bugsy
    • Kevin Costner – JFK
    • Anthony Hopkins – The Silence of the Lambs (though they could have put him in Supporting)
    • Nick Nolte – The Prince of Tides
    • Robin Williams – The Fisher King

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

• Annette Bening – Bugsy
    • Geena Davis – Thelma & Louise
    • Laura Dern – Rambling Rose
    • Jodie Foster – The Silence of the Lambs
    • Susan Sarandon – Thelma & Louise

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

• Tommy Lee Jones – JFK
    • Harvey Keitel – Bugsy
    • Harvey Keitel – Thelma & Louise
    • Ben Kingsley – Bugsy
    • Jack Palance – City Slickers

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

• Nicole Kidman – Billy Bathgate
    • Juliette Lewis – Cape Fear
    • Kate Nelligan – Frankie and Johnny
    • Mercedes Ruehl – The Fisher King
    • Jessica Tandy – Fried Green Tomatoes

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

• Bugsy
    • JFK
    • The Prince of Tides
    • The Silence of the Lambs
    • Thelma & Louise 
    ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

I’m just wondering whether people were surprised when Anthony Hopkins won.  Was there a precursor back then to predict his win?  I’m not sure if pundits or journalists or critics were looking at the New York Film Critics awards for guidance.  He had lost the Globe.  There was no SAG, as we know.  Hopkins himself said he thought Nick Nolte was going to win, plus there was no precedence for his type of performance winning.  So was this the shock of the ceremony?  When I rewatch the clips, people were absolutely ecstatic when he won, which is revealing of how much Hollywood dug the film.  Whoopi was fist pumping; Hopkins said people like Robert Duvall and Anjelica Huston came up to him backstage.  Everyone really went crazy…on a completely different level than when Jodie Foster won.

Silence of the Lambs surely would have been nominated for the SAG award.  Besides the leads, who would have carried the cast to a nomination, there was Ted Levine (who was nomination worthy himself), Scott Glenn, Anthony Heald, Brook Smith, Jonathan Demme’s troop of regulars…definitely should be in the conversation.  The win probably would have come down to Silence and JFK, with Silence winning since JFK was too controversial.  JFK is one of the only films I can think of with a superstar cast down the line, with bit parts by Lemon and Matthau and Sutherland and Spacek, fantastic performances from Jones and Pesci, that really works.  Kudos to Oliver Stone–one of his best films.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just wondering whether people were surprised when Anthony Hopkins won.  Was there a precursor back then to predict his win?  I’m not sure if pundits or journalists or critics were looking at the New York Film Critics awards for guidance.  He had lost the Globe.  There was no SAG, as we know.  Hopkins himself said he thought Nick Nolte was going to win, plus there was no precedence for his type of performance winning.  So was this the shock of the ceremony?  When I rewatch the clips, people were absolutely ecstatic when he won, which is revealing of how much Hollywood dug the film.  Whoopi was fist pumping; Hopkins said people like Robert Duvall and Anjelica Huston came up to him backstage.  Everyone really went crazy…on a completely different level than when Jodie Foster won.

Silence of the Lambs surely would have been nominated for the SAG award.  Besides the leads, who would have carried the cast to a nomination, there was Ted Levine (who was nomination worthy himself), Scott Glenn, Anthony Heald, Brook Smith, Jonathan Demme’s troop of regulars…definitely should be in the conversation.  The win probably would have come down to Silence and JFK, with Silence winning since JFK was too controversial.  JFK is one of the only films I can think of with a superstar cast down the line, with bit parts by Lemon and Matthau and Sutherland and Spacek, fantastic performances from Jones and Pesci, that really works.  Kudos to Oliver Stone–one of his best films.

If I remember correctly, Hopkins was an 11th hour winner, with Nolte being the favorite for so long.Both of them received critical raves, so it was a toss up by the end. Reminds me of what happened with Burt Reynolds and Robin Williams somewhat. But Silence as a film gained massive traction.  

JFK has a terrific cast just riddled with impressive perfs. It’s a tough call but my guess is that it would be Bugsy in the final two. That too has some great great perfs, including the small part with Elliot Gould. That was a nice come-back for him. (And on a personal level, I preferred the Ensemble and the film.)

It was also a couple of years after the Oscar win for Levinson for Rain Man, whereas Stone winning back-to-back Oscars was less likely (but what a toss up really).

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

In the early SAG years they seemed to think of best ensemble as biggest ensemble. I think Bugsy or even Fried Green Tomatoes would have taken it. With the edge perhaps to Fried Green.  That film just had such a large cast with no real one star turn but lots of good performers. I think Bugsy may have been thought of as too much a star vehicle for Beatty and Bening and not an ensemble picture.

JFK may have been too controversial.

How big is Bening’s part in Bugsy BTW? (I forget) Could she have been put in supporting? Could she have won? I think she would have stood a good chance what with The Grifters being the year before.

Also I think Hopkins was a big shock. I’m not sure what the inside Hollywood buzz was since there was no internet but my memory of what the newspapers etc were saying was that Nolte was the favorite.

Silence of the Lambs should have won though. Every small part from lead to small is perfectly cast from the people already mentioned right down to the bug guys, the friend of the victim who works in a bank, to the SWAT team guys.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: If there had been SAG Awards in 1991

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.