Home Forums Movies It’s 1976, who would you have predicted to win?

It’s 1976, who would you have predicted to win?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Juni Zapoto
    Participant
    Topics:
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Network
    Sidney Lumet
    Peter Finch
    Liv Ullman
    Jason Robards
    Piper Laurie

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

For Best Picture, I would’ve picked Rocky. Director, maybe Sidney Lumet. But in Lead Actor and Actress,  I still would go with Peter Finch and Faye Dunaway. But for Best Supporting Actor, Laurence Olivier and Best Supporting Actress, Jodie Foster because of the year she had (Freaky Friday, Bugsy Malone, and Taxi Driver).  

Here are personal picks though:
    Picture: Network
    Director: Sidney Lumet
    Actor: De Niro
    Actress: Spacek
    Supp. Actor: Olivier
    Supp. Actress: Foster
    Original Screenplay: Network
    Adapted Screenplay: All The President’s Men 

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

These were my actual 1976 predictions…
    PICTURE- ROCKY
    DIRECTOR- AVILDSEN
    ACTOR- FINCH
    ACTRESS- DUNAWAY
    SUP. ACTOR- ROBARDS
    SUP. ACTRESS- FOSTER

not bad 5 of 6
    but my personal choices were..
    NETWORK AND LUMET
    DENIRO
    DUNAWAY
    OLIVIER
    LAURIE

ReplyCopy URL
    Taylor27
    Topics:

This was a really hard year!

I would have predicted/wanted to win

Rocky
    Lumet
    De Niro
    Shire (Or Spacek)
    Meredith
    Foster

I think it would have been clear to me that Faye Dunaway was going to win because that was such an amazing performance but she’s never been a personal favorite of mine so I would have personally wanted either Shire or Spacek to win even though deep down I knew it was going to be Dunaway. I haven’t seen the other 2 performances so I’m just working off of the 3 I’ve seen.

Best Actor, I really think Peter Finch should have been in supporting and the Award should have gone to De Niro or William Holden.

Nothing Against Robards, but it breaks my heart that Burgess Meredith never won.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

My personal choices would have been a clean sweep for Network pretty much 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Not “Rocky” lol. That would have been nice and wrong in hindsight. I would have predicted “Network” across the board. Not necessarily for three acting wins, but at least BP/BD.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

This is such a tough year. One of the greatest in film history imo.

Director: Lumet
    Actor: Finch
    Actress: Dunaway
    S. Actor: Robards
    S. Actress: I guess Laurie since it was a return for a popular actress but Foster got a lot of critics awards so I may have predicted her. I bet no one predicted Beatrice Straight though she is pretty great. 

What do you think would have happened if Finch had been put in supporting? Do you think Holden would have got lead actor? Would Straight still have won? Would have been someting for one film to win all 4. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Monty
    Participant
    Topics:

This is such a tough year. One of the greatest in film history imo.

Director: Lumet
    Actor: Finch
    Actress: Dunaway
    S. Actor: Robards
    S. Actress: I guess Laurie since it was a return for a popular actress but Foster got a lot of critics awards so I may have predicted her. I bet no one predicted Beatrice Straight though she is pretty great. 

What do you think would have happened if Finch had been put in supporting? Do you think Holden would have got lead actor? Would Straight still have won? Would have been someting for one film to win all 4. 

I think if Finch was in supporting, he will win for sure. (Then, Jason Robards will attend the ceremony in 1978 and won’t be playing bridge with Marlon Brando and George C Scott lol) I don’t think the academy want to give four acting awards to one film considering A Streetcar Named Desire can’t sweep all four acting prizes (in which Brando deserved an Oscar). Probably Robert De Niro will win 

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m kind of surprised to this day that Rocky managed that win over Network, considering its domination in the acting categories. 

My own personal preferences would have gone something like
    Picture – All the President’s Men
    Director – Sidney Lumet
    Actress – Liv Ullman
    Actor –  Robert DeNiro 
    Supporting Actress – Piper Laurie
    Supporting Actor – Laurence Olivier
    Adapted Screenplay – All the President’s Men
    Original Screenplay – Network

Among the nominees, anyways (how was Scorsese snubbed again?). If we’d be going by Academy-eligible releases, The Spirit of the Beehive would dominate. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

PERSONAL CHOICES:

Actor: Tough acting category. My choice would be Giancarlo Giannini. Anyone who can convince me that he was in love with that Nazi guard wins imo. Lol.

Supporting: another impossible choice. Robards wins. My heart is with Meredith though.

Actress: gach. Dunaway and Ullman tie for me.

Supporting: Straight. No contest.

Cinematography: thank you, Haskell Wexler!

Director: Sidney Lumet. C’mon! Geez.

Editing: tough choice. All the nominees are worthy. gach. Cant choose one.

Writing: All the President’s Men, and Network.

Picture: I dont begrudge Rocky it’s win. There are aspects about this, “oneofourownonashoestringbudget” film that deserves all of it’s recognition. I wonder if the critical reactions of Network vs Rocky were similar to what was being said and the attitudes of viewers and reviewers re The King’s Speech and The Social Network? I know who I vote for there because of it.

But hey; TSN is NO Network.

gach.

HEAD: Network

HEART: Seven Beauties

What could have won and deserved to? Network.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t even alive at the time, but I still feel bitter about Piper Laurie losing. Yes, Beatrice Straight is heartbreaking in her single scene of Network, but it can’t really compete with Laurie’s ingenious, risk-taking interpretation of a difficult role. Interestingly, Laurie found the script of Carrie so absurd that she took it as satire, playing slightly for laughs until de Palma said no. Still, I think a character this crazy needs to be played as camp melodrama so as not to seem ridiculous, if you know what I mean. That she integrates this with a more nuanced human desperation is what makes this performance so inspired. In many ways she had a strong awards narrative, with a comeback role after a 15-year hiatus since The Hustler, not to mention she was playing an abusive mother which can be a slam-dunk in this category (Shelley Winters, Mo’Nique). Unfortunately she was in a film most voters weren’t watching, and lost to a movie-representation of the wife those middle-aged male Oscar voters had just cheated on. A make-up Oscar if there ever was one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Finch obviously would’ve won in supporting; lead actor I’m not sure but I think it would’ve gone to Sylvester Stallone. In retrospect it seems bizarre to think of him as a hypothetical Oscar winner, but he was the lead actor in the BP winner for which he was also nominated for writing. His narrative was pretty strong, and Holden was already an Oscar winner, as well as having a less showy role than Finch and even Dunaway. I don’t see how it would’ve affected Straight, she still would’ve won imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Stallone is fantastic in Rocky. It’s only in hindsight that we know he had no other act.

He would have been a very worthy winner but that obviously would look ridiculous considering his woeful career after.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Stallone is fantastic in Rocky. It’s only in hindsight that we know he had no other act.

He would have been a very worthy winner but that obviously would look ridiculous considering his woeful career after.

Absolute truth. I have often wondered also how Rocky would have fared should Bette Midler, the original choice to appear opposite Stallone had accepted the role. What a movie!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.