Home Forums Movies Jackie Brown (1997)- What Happened?

Jackie Brown (1997)- What Happened?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
M
Nick
circa 1993
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Quentin Tarantino is someone whose work is often beloved by the Academy. Even if The Hateful Eight couldn’t crack Best Original Screenplay for Tarantino, it still won Best Original Score. Yet I ask, what happened with Jackie Brown which only scored one nomination for Robert Forster (richly deserved, though)?

In my opinion, Jackie Brown is Tarantino’s best film and his most underrated. I would’ve not only nominated it across the board, but with all due respect to Helen Hunt, Pam Grier should’ve won every Best Actress award under the sun.  

What do you guys think? You think Jackie Brown is as great as I do and what underrepresented? Let’s discuss.

Nick
    Blocked
    Topics:

Hmm I don’t think it was really a Best Picture radar type of film. Titanic was smashing the world with its success and so it was basically undeniable not to nominate that for everything under the sun. L.A. Confidential was a critical hit so there’s that. As Good As It Gets, I think got in because people were passionate about that (love story, solid cast, comedic dialogue blah blah blah). Same with The Full Monty. Good Will Hunting was a sentimental vote probably along with As Good As It Gets. I just think Jackie Brown got trampled by most films, including these five. It didn’t get that much attention like those films with awards. It wasn’t as groundbreaking as many consider Pulp Fiction to be (I don’t).

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Probably backlash against Pulp Fiction. He was so worshipped and adored back then that a backlash started against him. (as usually happens when someone gets a lot of acclaim)

It is odd that Pam Grier got left out (after a SAG nomination) but then Robert Forster got in at the last minute as a surprise nominee when he hadn’t been awarded anywhere else.  

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Jackie Brown is a slow burn movie. It needed to be released earlier than December for a proper consensus to build. Christie took Pam’s slot. Afterglow is a horrible movie. Her legacy was enough to trump Pam’s performance for the Academy. 

Tarantino being an Academy darling is a recent development starting with Basterds. Reminder after Jackie Brown earning one nomination he received zero recognition for Kill Bill and Grindhouse: Death Proof.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it suffered from high expectations for his Pulp followup — especially since it’s such a different type of film and approach that remains atypical in his filmography to date (in a good way). 

ReplyCopy URL
    PreludeinCSharpMinor
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved JB when it came out. I went to view with different friends. Some loved it some hated(felt it went on and on). I was not a fan of Pulp Fiction but JB is my favorite Tarantino film. Pam Grier was robbed of a nomination. Honestly, Kate Winslet for Titanic was the nomination that should not have happened. I wasn’t a huge fan of Hunt’s either. The nominees should have been Dench, Grier, Christie, Bonham-Carter, and Cameron Diaz.

ReplyCopy URL
    BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

There were so many complaints about it. N word used 38 times by Ordell. That it was overlog and should have been 90 minutes rather than 150. That he took the book too seriously. He didnt do a good job with the character development. But its true that competition was really tough.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Jackie Brown is my all-time favorite Tarantino film, but indeed, it was considered somewhat of a flop upon release. Expectations were sky-high following Pulp Fiction and audiences (and even some critics) were perhaps pumping themselves up for something a little more bold and explosive.

Unfortunately, I just don’t think the Academy took Pam Grier very seriously. She should’ve won that Oscar. At least Robert Forster somehow got in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think it deserved a Best Picture nod, but Pam Grier definitely should have been in contention for the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

It would have easily made BP in an expanded field. Pam Grier (or Judi Dench) should have won every lead actress win under the sun instead of the utter nonsense of Helen Hunt. This was the first time thar QT adapted material not his own. Beautifully, I must say. Maybe there was resistance to that. Robert Forster’s nod was a surprise, but it was richly earned. The only one I could see this replacing was “The Full Monty,” but that had strong British bloc support. Nothing was stopping “Titanic.” “ASAIG” was a James Brooks comedy. “L.A. Confidential” was the critical fav. “Good Will Hunting” was a huge deal at the time with the Damon/Affleck hook and Harvey’s backing. “Jackie Brown” is a classic and should be revered in Quentin’s catalog regardless.

ReplyCopy URL
    seokeys1
    Topics:

It was the Thriller / Drama, which was Releaased on December 25, 1997 and Directed by Quentin Tarantino………

ReplyCopy URL
    JabberCash
    Participant
    Topics:

It should have easily been nominated for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress (Fonda), and Best Adapted Screenplay along with it’s Best Supporting Actor Nomination. Best Director is debateable, but those other nominations are a given.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

It should have easily been nominated for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress (Fonda), and Best Adapted Screenplay along with it’s Best Supporting Actor Nomination. Best Director is debateable, but those other nominations are a given.

Brown is a directorial achievement alongside Pulp and Kill Bill as his finest hour as a director.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Pam was snubbed big time. That was a competitive year for leading actresses.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Jackie Brown (1997)- What Happened?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.