Justice For The Snubbed #3: Best Picture 2011

Home // Forums // Movies // Justice For The Snubbed #3: Best Picture 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Here is yet another entry in the Justice For The Snubbed poll series. You guys felt the ineligible Essie Davis was a clear snub in the 2014 Best Actress category. Now onto the 2011 Best Picture category. Which film do you think could’ve easily taken a 10th slot…or gotten in over Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close at least? My personal pick is Bridesmaids with 50/50 a close second. But how about you folks? 

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Tough call.

There are three films up there I could choose on any given day.

I’ll go with Drive, a genre-twisting film which, imo, was egregiously overlooked  in several categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

That year’s Oscars were an absolute mess!

Drive, Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2, Bridesmaids and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo all deserved Best Picture nominations over most of the actual nominees.

Only The Help, The Descendants and The Tree of Life deserved their places for me.

Drive was an instant classic though, and while it finished second of the year for me at the time (behind Deathly Hallows Part II), it gets my vote here. Just effortlessly cool. What a film, what direction, what a load of performances, what a score, what a soundtrack, what a cinematography.

ReplyCopy URL
    Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

Girl with the dragon tattoo was a really well made movie. Craps all over the foreign version

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Drive was an instant classic though, and while it finished second of the year for me at the time (behind Deathly Hallows Part II), it gets my vote here. Just effortlessly cool. What a film, what direction, what a load of performances, what a score, what a soundtrack, what a cinematography.

This.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Girl with the dragon tattoo was a really well made movie. Craps all over the foreign version

It is. Loved this version. Mara is a standout. I really admire Oplev’s film however, and the terrific Noomi Rapace. If pressed, I’d go with her over both films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dr.Fabe
    Participant
    Topics:

The Best Picture lineup 2011 was so terrible!

A Separation and Warrior should have been nominated for sure. And pretty much every other film mentioned were more deserving than the eventual nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Josh Ben-Ami
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh God, what a lousy year. The only Best Picture nominee I liked a lot was Hugo. Would have loved to see all those listed in the poll as nominees over Extremely Loud and The Tree of Life.

ReplyCopy URL
    AugB
    Participant
    Topics:

The Tree of Life
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    Killer Joe
    Kill List
    L’Apollonide
    A Separation
    The Ides of March
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    The Kid on the Bike
    Paul

That would be my top 10. So, in terms of movies with oscar chances, I missed Dragon Tattoo, Separation, Tinker Tailor and Ides of March.

But the greatest snub, for me, speaking not only about oscars, but also the entire season, was Mia Wasikowska not being recognized for me magnificent turn in Jane Eyre.

ReplyCopy URL
    Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

The Tree of Life
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    Killer Joe
    Kill List
    L’Apollonide
    A Separation
    The Ides of March
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    The Kid on the Bike
    Paul

That would be my top 10. So, in terms of movies with oscar chances, I missed Dragon Tattoo, Separation, Tinker Tailor and Ides of March.

But the greatest snub, for me, speaking not only about oscars, but also the entire season, was Mia Wasikowska not being recognized for me magnificent turn in Jane Eyre.

Agreed. I also think Tree of Life should have been Brad Pitt’s Oscar winning performance in supporting actor. Instead he got nominated for the overrated Moneyball, in a category he had no chance of winning

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

“Girl” had to be super close to BP with the surprise nod for Rooney Mara and that Film Editing win (!).

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

DGA nomination too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Michael Norris
    Participant
    Topics:

Beginners

EL&IC sucked, Moneyball was generic, and War Horse was slightly above generic, but The Artist was well done for what it was, and I really liked the other five a lot. Really well written, directed, and acted movies. I think the line-up is a lot better than a lot of other people seem to think. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Josh Ben-Ami
    Participant
    Topics:

When I think about the best films of 2011, I’m remembering how that was an EXCELLENT year for comedy. Midnight in Paris, Bridesmaids, The Muppets, 50/50, and Crazy Stupid Love.
    Although I’m not sure if most of those even stood a shot at a nomination besides Bridesmaids (and Midnight in Paris, which actually did get a nomination, likely because of the Woody Allen fans)

ReplyCopy URL
    TerenceFletcher
    Participant
    Topics:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in a VERY close second place.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
Reply To: Justice For The Snubbed #3: Best Picture 2011

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.