Home Forums Movies Karen Black (1939-2013)

Karen Black (1939-2013)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/karen-black-five-easy-pieces-nashville-dies-431637

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/karen-black-dead/

The Five Easy Pieces Oscar nominee also known for such films Nashville and Alfred Hitchcock’s final pic Family Plot has died at 74. Karen Black recently hadturned to crowdfunding to help with her long battle against cancer. Her husband, Stephen Eckelberry, confirmed Black’s death in a Facebook post: “It is with great sadness that I have to report that my wife and best friend, Karen Black has just passed away, only a few minutes ago,” he wrote. “Thank you all for all your prayers and love, they meant so much to her as they did to me.”

Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

RIP

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Her career sadly never recovered from the flop of John Schlesinger’s Day of the Locust (1975), one of those films the year before people were predicting to win Best Picture and her as Best Actress. She was great in the ensemble of Hitchcock’s greatly underrated Family Plot, but not enough to restore her after her being in The Great Gatsby (Myrtle), which also hurt Mia Farrow’s career.

I’m not a big fan of the film, but there are those who praised her a lot in her hoped-for high profile comeback in Altman’s COme Back to the 5 and Dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean. She certainly kept busy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pavel Romanov
    Topics:

A very interesting actress, her career took a real tumble towards the late 1970s, but she kept acting (100 plus credits!). I don’t know if she just liked to act or if she just really needed the money.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

RIP

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Topics:

I loved her in Five Easy Pieces (she should have won an Oscar for her work here), Law and Disorder (a very small but hilarious appreance), Day of the Locust and Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmie Dean, Jimmie Dean.

Ms Black’s name on a cast list would always get me in to take a look. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinebear
    Participant
    Topics:

My sentiments exactly.  I always looked forward to her work when I saw her in the credits.  As for her role as Myrtle (a terrifically over-the-top turn), I think the Golden Globe she won for the role, perhaps a make-up award for not winning for “Five Easy Pieces,” was out of left field and a pleasant surprise!  I will miss her onscreen eccentricities – always a pleasure. 

ReplyCopy URL
    helmetz
    Keymaster
    Topics:

My favorite Karen Black moment is in “Nashville,” where, as Connie White, she is in the Opry’s wings, about to go onstage and practicing the various smiles she’s planning to use on her audience.  Show business narcissism at its best.  Great stuff!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Karen Black (1939-2013)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.