Home Forums Movies Last-minute panic predicting 2017 Golden Globes?

Last-minute panic predicting 2017 Golden Globes?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Marcus James Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Who else out there is having last-minute panic predicting the 2017 Golden Globes? I’m debating whether to make a few specific changes, but don’t want to end up switching away from someone who ends up winning. Aargh! This is tough. What categories are YOU panicking over?

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

The Gosling vs Reynolds vs Grant fight is truly confusing. Screenplay could be a consolation prize to another film if Manchester does win Film. And Foreign Film could go many different ways.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Hugh Grant has already won a Golden Globe for “Four Weddings and a Funeral” so I don’t think they will ofeel he is owed especially. If Meryl Streep or “Florence Foster Jenkins” were better positioned to win something I might believe in this Grant possibility.

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor John Ryan
    Participant
    Topics:

For some reason I don’t see LLL winning Director, Actor and Actress. I think Stone is a lock, so I predict an upset either on Director or Actor, maybe even on both categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jed Reifer
    Participant
    Topics:

On the film side I’m really torn between picking Chazelle or Mel Gibson and also Best Song. And on the TV side I am constantly changing my picks for TV Drama Actress (I currently have Winona Ryder) and Comedy Actress (Tracee Ellis-Ross).

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

I keep changing my mind on:
    Manchester Vs Moonlight
    Usually the Globes follow the critics if there is a clear frontrunner among the critics’ awards. (Boyhood, The Social Network, Brokeback Mountain) that makes me lean towards Moonlight, but MbtS also seems like it could be their kind of film like ‘The Descendants’ and that could swoop in and take it.

Gibson Vs Chazelle
    It’s hard to win a Globe Directing Prize for a Comedy /Musical, only six of the directing wins have ever been for M/C, of those six five had had previous nominations. The only C/M winner on their first nomination was Barbra Streisand. Streisand was a least a star, Chazelle isn’t. Which leads you to Gibson but I don’t know if his baggage is enough to stop them rewarding him.

Gosling Vs Grant
    I’m quite happy to rule out Reynolds, despite having comedy categories they rarely reward out and out comedy performances and when they do it’s down to dire competition. Gosling is overdue but La La Land isn’t going to sweep everything if they really liked Florence Foster Jenkins (and I can’t think of any other reason they nominated Simon Helberg) Grant is the place to reward it.

Ali Vs Patel
    On paper it should be Ali all the way, but I read how Ali isn’t in the last 2/3rd of the film and how it’s such an untypical winner. Lion has some support getting into picture; if there really is a ‘Harvey’ vote this is the only place it can realistically win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Manuel Colon
    Participant
    Topics:

There are so many categories with contenders fighting for the win. I made my final decisions yesterday and i’ll expect the best.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

On the film side, it’s the notion that they must kiss The Sorcerer’s ring. I know higher ranking peeps at GD has the tea on these voters secret meetings, but what I’m seeing as an outsider is that TWC is not as prominent as they once were. They haven’t really had a true awards contender since “Silver Linings Playbook”. Fox Searchlight took its place for a time and its now little studios like Meagan Ellison’s and A24 that have become the big players. What I’m getting at is that if TWC doesn’t have a big player or one that isn’t going up against stronger competition (which is the case with “Lion” up against forces like Mahershala Ali and Viola Davis and the “La La Land” score), he might have to take the L this year.

I’m pretty settled with TV for the most part.

ReplyCopy URL
    ScandalWife
    Participant
    Topics:

I am have a hard time with director. I keep going back and fourth on who will win the prize. I know Tom Ford and kenneth Lonergan are not taking home the award. For some reason, I can not rule out Berry Jenkins for Moonlight.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

I am currently predicting Portman, but I just can’t help but wonder if Huppert is being underestimated here. Even though it’s in the foreign language category, she is the only one of these five whose film is nominated for best picture. She has not one, but two great performances this year and it is the Hollywood FOREIGN Press after all.

I am going out on a limb and predicting Patel. Ali’s performance (or Moonlight in Best Picture for that matter) just doesn’t seem like something the globe voters will go for. The fact that he’s only in the first one-third of the film has to hurt as well. And rewarding Patel makes them look like they are rewarding even more diversity. And again, this is the Hollywood FOREIGN Press. This race reminds me of the times when they went for Lawrence and Winslet over critics favorites N’yongo and Vikander.

I am fairly confident of Grant and Chazelle taking their categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, Mel Gibson is one to look out for. As shameful as he is, this has been the only awards body that has shown him a modicum of love since he exposed himself as the hateful pig he is. Tom Ford is another one to watch out for, especially in writing. He seems like their type of winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Fishbiscuit
    Participant
    Topics:

Went with Reynolds for fun. I’m pretty sure Gosling will take it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I just switched from Lithgow to Brown, they even nominated Travolta, and don’t forget Matt Bomer beating Bill Murray. 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Probably Gibson in director and Ford in screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Roney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

I am currently predicting Portman, but I just can’t help but wonder if Huppert is being underestimated here. Even though it’s in the foreign language category, she is the only one of these five whose film is nominated for best picture. She has not one, but two great performances this year and it is the Hollywood FOREIGN Press after all.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.