Home Forums Movies Metacritic ratings for 2014 films

Metacritic ratings for 2014 films

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
CanadianFan
Eddy Q
manakamana
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I was curious as to see which films the critics have rated the highest according to Metacritic. 100 means every critic gave the film a favorable review, 75 means 3 out of 4, etc. (Into the Woods, Unbroken and Wild haven’t received a Metacritic rating yet).

I’ve included everything that scored a 90 or higher, and then select films that have Oscar buzz – a complete list of all 2014 films is at their website.

The biggest shock was the 93 for Chris Rock’s Top Five.

100 Boyhood
    99 Leviathan
    98 Selma
    97 Mr. Turner
    95 Virunga
    93 Top Five
    92 Two Days, One Night
    91 A Summer’s Tale
    90 National Gallery, Return To Home, Big Men and The Overnighters

89 Birdman and Ida
    88 Citizenfour and The Grand Budapest Hotel
    87 Whiplash
    86 Force Majeure, The Babadook, A Most Violent Year and Stand Clear of the Closing Doors
    84 Inherent Vice and Snowpiercer
    83 Gloria, Love Is Strange, Still Alice and Winter Sleep
    82 Foxcatcher, The Lego Movie and Stranger By The Lake
    81 Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me, Locke and Norte, the End of History
    80 A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night and Pride

79 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Dear White People and Gone Girl
    78 Tracks and Under the Skin
    77 Cavalry
    76 Guardians of the Galaxy, How To Train Your Dragon 2, The Immigrant, It Felt Like Love, The Lunchbox and Nightcrawler
    75 Big Hero 6, Frank, Obvious Child and The Trip To Italy
    74 Interstellar, The Skeleton Twins and The Way He Looks
    73 Beyond the Lights, A Most Wanted Man and Le Week-End
    72 The Theory Of Everything
    71 Get On Up and The Imitation Game

69 The Fault In Our Stars and Venus In Fur
    68 Chef and The Homesman
    67 The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Her
    66 Point and Shoot and Rosewater
    64 Belle, Fury, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 and St. Vincent
    92 Begin Again
    61 Big Eyes and The Gambler
    60 Kill the Messenger

One of the things I notice about this list is that critics are liberal but not radical, and they like films that reflect themselves more than films that don’t.  Some of my favorite films are very political and they scored much lower than they deserved.

CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re actually wrong about Metacritic. You are using the Rotten Tomatoes methodology (I believe a 60/100 or more is counted as favorable).

Metacritic uses averages. Let’s use an example…

A movie has ten reviews. It has seven 100’s and 3 50s.  Its average on Metacritic would be 85/100. On Rottentomatoes, it would be scored as 70% because that is the ratio of reviews above 60 to reviews below 60.

Another good example: The Avengers has a 69 on Metacritic, but a 92 on Rotten Tomatoes. So, the average review is a 69, but 92% percent of people gave it above a 6/10. Therefore, people liked the movie, but they didn’t love it. 

Things get a bit more  complicated now that MC is weighting things. Boyhood’s critical acclaim is ridiculously impressive. Its *average* is 100, but they weighted it a bit. I think it’s actually around 98 or 99, but they may throw out outliers. In general, MC uses averages, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Metacritic lend more weight in its averages to more ‘note-worthy’ critics/publications, but doesn’t indicate which those are.

The Rotten Tomatoes percentage of positive to negative doesn’t work at all. This would never happen, but say if a film had unanimous 2-star reviews from RT critics; it would get 0% on the tomatometer, because all reviews would be counted as rotten, but how is that fair? The tomatometer tends to be too high at the positive end and too low at the negative end, which is inadvertently hyperbolic. It’s so easy for a film to get 96% and higher these days, but it’s telling if the average rating printed below is more like 7.5.

The Metacritic weighted average is more successful, but useless if there are so few reviews – I’m delighted that Leviathan has 99 but I’m sure it’ll decrease when more reviews are added, if not by much. FreemanGriffin it would be helpful if you could update the list every now and again, but thanks a lot for making it in the first place.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t forget The Tale of the Princess Kaguya at 89, and now you can include Exodus: Gods and Kings which comes in at a decidedly “ok” 61.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Metacritic ratings for 2014 films

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.