Most Anticipated Films of 2017

Home // Forums // Movies // Most Anticipated Films of 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
  • ogg
    Participant
    Topics:

What is everyone’s most anticipated film of 2017? Maybe name one if you really can, or a top 5/top 10 list. Maybe even split up the mainstream blockbusters and the awards films into two lists. It seems like it will be a great year in cinema already and I would love some suggestions for what to keep an eye out for!

• This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  ogg.
    Heart of Cinema
    Participant
    Topics:

These are the Top 5 Movies i am most looking forward to in 2017

1.      Happy End     (Michael Haneke)

–  The latest film from the most acclaimed director of this generation and at 74 years old this could be his last.

2.      Wonderstruck       (Todd Haynes)

–   Todd Haynes is returning to his more experimental roots and this film will be part silent movie,  part talkie.

3.       Mektoub is Mektoub    (Abdellatif Kechiche)

–    Love triangle movie should be sexy and controversial.

4.        You Were Never Really Here          (Lynne Ramsay)

–    Could be a make or break movie for Lynne Ramsay in Hollywood after the Jane got a Gun debacle.

5.         Okja       (Bong Joon-ho)

–    Nobody makes action movies today as well as Bong Joon-ho

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

My friends and I see movies all the time and it’s funny I saw this today because last night we were talking about the ones we were most excited for.

1)Beauty and the Beast
    2)The Zookeepers Wife
    3)King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
    4)Logan
    5)Wonder Woman
    6)Despicable Me 3
    7)The Dark Tower
    8)Kong: Skull Island
    9)The Shack
    10)Dunkirk
    11)Spiderman: Homecoming
    12)A United Kingdom
    13)Life
    14)Power Rangers
    15)Tulip Fever
    16)American Made
    17)Granite Mountain
    18)IT
    19)Bladerunner 2049
    20)The Mountain Between Us
    21)The Greatest Showman
    22)Friday the 13th

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  vinny.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Guardians of the galaxy Vol 2

the trailer looks amazing

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not a fan of horrors but enthusiasm around “Get Out” and promise that it’s much more keeps me interested and I’ll see it at the end of the month when it comes to my country.

“Downsizing” is by far the most anticipated movie by me this year. Synopsis of the plot make it look like a cross between “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” and “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” and Alexander Payne, usually the one to tell low-key story about human interactions, might hit the artistic/futuristic spot this season. Amazing cast too.

“Mother!” by Darren Arronofsky looks mysterious and thus intriguing. Stellar cast there too.

I’d rather have other Agatha Christie’s work adapted, proper “And Then There Were None” motion picture included, but I’m interested how “Murder on the Orient Express” from Kenneth Branagh will turn out. Cast is very good but I feel 1974 version might be definitive. Score and costumes will be hard to beat.

I’m not a fan of war movies and how many WWII movies do we really need but “Dunkirk” has Christopher Nolan and maybe, just maybe, it won’t be as straightforward and predicitable.

“The Greatest Showman”, “Wonder Wheel”, “Wonderstruck”, “Annihilation”, “The Battle of Sexes”, “Happy End”, “Logan Lucky”, “Suburbicon”, “The Shape of Water” and “The Darkest Hour” also look very promising.

ReplyCopy URL
    Julia Spencer
    Participant
    Topics:

My Top 12 so far are

1) The Killing of a Sacred Deer by Yorgos Lanthimos (The Lobster)

2) Wonderstruck by Todd Haynes

3) Call Me by Your Name by Luca Guadagnino

4) Lady MacBeth by William Oldroyd (based on the book Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District)

5) Claire’s Camera by Hong Sang-Soo (Handmaiden, starring Isabelle Huppert, Kim Min-Hee)

6) Phantom Thread by Paul Thomas Anderson (starring Daniel Day-Lewis)

7) A Ghost Story by David Lowery (starring Academy Award Winner Casey Affleck 😛 )

8) Euphoria by Lisa Langseth (starring Eva Green, Charlotte Rampling, Alicia Vikander)

9) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri by Martin McDonagh

10) The Shape of Water by Guillermo del Toro (very intriguing story; Michael Shannon starring, plus Michael Stuhlberg and Richard Jenkins)

11) Based on a True Story by Roman Polanski (starring Eva Green!!!)

12) Suburbicon by George Clooney (because its a Coens Script)

Other movies that sound intriguing:

– On the Beach at Night Alone by Hong Sang-Soo
    – Mute by Duncan Jones
    – The Glass Castle by Destin Cretton
    – Okja by Bong Joon-ho
    – The Death and Life of John F. Donovan by Xavier Dolan
    – The Dark Tower by Nikolaj Arcel (just because Idris Elba is in it!)
    – Lady Bird by Greta Gerwig
    – Mother! by Darren Aronofsky
    – Stronger by David Gordon Green
    – Vox Lux by Brady Corbet
    – The Old Man and the Gun by David Lowery (supposed to be the last Robert Redford movie)
    – Darkest Hour by Joe Wright (last appearence by John Hurt, Gary Oldman starring)

Two movies that were on my list but wont be coming out 2017:

Annihilation was in my number one spot but its pushed back to 2018 and unfortunatly I heard that Garland has changed a lot about the story from the book. Also The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara has put on hold caus Spielberg is busy filming The Post. Also Oscar Isaac sadly dropped out of the project.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Julia Spencer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Annihilation was in my number one spot but its pushed back to 2018 and unfortunatly I heard that Garland has changed a lot about the story from the book.

Is that confirmed??? I could not find that online. And BTW don’t try and April Fool me because its April 2nd in my time zone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Julia Spencer
    Participant
    Topics:

I WISHED that its was a April Fool joke but some entertainment sources have written about it being pushed back to 2018.

Paramount

My hope is that Paramount come to their senses and realised that this movie might be their best shot this year. Their have however also Suburbicon (George Clooney) and Downsizing (Alexander Payne) this year. I also heard on the award watch forum, that the visuals arent ready yet on Annihilations but the footage that was shown on CinemaCon was amazing.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Annihilation was in my number one spot but its pushed back to 2018 and unfortunatly I heard that Garland has changed a lot about the story from the book.

Is that confirmed??? I could not find that online. And BTW don’t try and April Fool me because its April 2nd in my time zone.

That’s weird because I had heard rumors about people having seen the movie already

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Untitled Kathryn Bigelow Detroit Project
    It’s got Ms Bigelow at the helm. That is enough alone to get me on the hype train for this one.

2. Dunkirk
    Likewise, Nolan being in control has my bum in that cinema seat already. All I need is Fincher to release a film this year, and my directing holy trinity would unite in 2017.

3. Call Me By Your Name
    Great reviews, seemingly great performances and story. Right up my street it appears on paper.

4. Baby Driver
    Again, great reviews. Plus it looks like it is bringing something new to the table.

5. The Glass Castle
    Really looking forward to seeing how Daniel Destin Cretton follows up Short Term 12.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s weird because I had heard rumors about people having seen the movie already

There was someone on here within the last month or two (I believe it was @Teridax, but don’t quote me on that) who said they were giving away free screening tickets, but moviegoers had to sign a confidentiality agreement before they watched.

Does anyone know if they screened the entire movie, or just snippets at Cinemacon? Reading about it on Variety they vaguely wrote about it as if they saw the entire thing.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

My top 5:

1. Downsizing – I just wanna see my girl Kristen Wiig win an Oscar. My love for Alexander Payne’s filmmaking is also a factor, and the story sounds absolutely bizarre, but intriguing.

2. On Chesil Beach – While i’m still sadly only a quarter the way through (library checkouts tend to make me procrastinate), I’m excited to see how Saoirse Ronan brings Florence to life.

3. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri – Frances McDormand. Enough said.

4. Happy End – I’ve now made it my mission to watch an Isabelle Huppert film whenever it’s released. The story sounds crazy good and Michael Haneke’s writing/directing doesn’t disappoint.

5. Untitled PTA – It’s always exciting to see Daniel Day-Lewis come out of his hiatus/break/whatever you wanna call it and see a quality film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Prideful
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Glass Castle – here for my girl Naomi and Woody Harrelson tearing up the whole movie and being nominated, the book seems interesting and I’m curious how it’s being adapted.

2. Dunkirk- Nolan likes doing those big epic movies and even though they’re not always my cup of tea, I will watch it.

3. Untitled PTA- loved all his movies so far, so why not. Someone needs to give him an Oscar for something if Chazelle got one…

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

3. Untitled PTA- loved all his movies so far, so why not. Someone needs to give him an Oscar for something if Chazelle got one…

Chazelle has nothing on PTA.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Call Me By Your Name
    The reviews for this have me insanely excited plus I loved the last two films by Luca Guadagnino so I’m really expecting to be blown away here. I decided I’ll start the book later in summer to really feel immersed in the heat of their sultry Mediterranean affair.

2. The Beguiled
    I shamelessly love Sofia Coppola. Her films so often depict the existential problems of characters subdued by their own insular world, always shot in an atmospheric, dreamlike aesthetic, and I’m thrilled that this one looks no different.

3. The Glass Castle
    After Short Term 12, Destin Daniel Cretton immediately became one to watch. I’m highly anticipating this film for, if nothing else, the performances from Woody Harrelson and Naomi Watts, who are the absolute perfect actors for these unique characters.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Most Anticipated Films of 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.