Home Forums Movies Most “Overrated” Oscar Contenders 2014

Most “Overrated” Oscar Contenders 2014

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be honest with ourselves. Just because a film is getting tons of awards buzz does not mean we agree.

What performances, films, etc. do you feel are overrated this year?

Here’s some of my list of most overrated:

Best Picture- Birdman
    Supp. Actress- Emma Stone & Meryl Streep

Emma Stone HAS to be the most overrated performance this season. I felt like I was watching her play herself, or just a more “grown up” version of her Easy A character. Much better in The Help.

24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I posted this reaction to The Grand Budapest Hotel in another thread:

I just finished watching this via HBO onDemand and didn’t laugh once. Where were the laughs? Was I supposed to laugh when William Dafoe threw a cat out the window? Ugh. The great cast was wasted in such small and stupid roles, the movie was a chore to sit through, and the dialogue was obnoxious and over the top. I don’t think I’ve ever hated an acclaimed movie more. A truly disappointing experience. I’m pissed.

I couldn’t stand Ralph Fiennes’ character. I even had him in my predictions for a ‘surprise’ nomination. I have to take him out now.

I can’t believe this is winning screenplay awards left and right when there’s Birdman, Boyhood, Nightcrawler, and Whiplash out there this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s retire the word “overrated”. Please.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

MICHAEL KEATON. And Emma Stone. I agree WildForFilm. I love Emma Stone but she did nothing in Birdman. And if Keaton wins over pretty much anyone that will be insulting to the other best actors that gave a performance and don’t have some weepy narrative story. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

“Let’s retire the word “overrated”. Please.”

Yes, it’s a very problematic word, as it implicitly condescends those of the majority opinion. When you watch a film without any expectations at all, the word ‘overrated’ is irrelevant, as you’ve got nothing to measure it by. Perhaps we should all try to see things with a blank slate. I’ve used the word myself, of course, but nowadays I try to avoid it.

‘Underrated’ is fine in my view as it can be used for something you feel is unjustly ignored/underseen, not just maligned.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turner Unruh
    Participant
    Topics:

Felicity Jones I am sick of  just wives getting nominations like amy adams in the master jacki weaver in slp it’s insulting

ReplyCopy URL
    Ken Bendor
    Topics:

Keira Knightley. #boringbrit

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Robert Duvall in The Judge. He just plays a standard “grumpy grandpa” role. Compared to his fellow contenders in the BSA category, he’s practically phoning it in.

Felicity Jones in Theory of Everything. I like her as an actress, but the material doesn’t give her much to do besides play the stressed out wife.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

Here comes the most overrated Oscar whortender ever:

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Boyhood, Birdman, Whiplash, Grand Budapest Hotel, the overrated abound this year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Mr. Turner and The Homesman are pretty bad movies. American Sniper is pretty offensive (and not just because that dumb screenplay is somehow getting recognition).

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Robert Duvall in The Judge. He just plays a standard “grumpy grandpa” role. Compared to his fellow contenders in the BSA category, he’s practically phoning it in.

Felicity Jones in Theory of Everything. I like her as an actress, but the material doesn’t give her much to do besides play the stressed out wife.   

I think Duvall is very good in the movie, but there is no way that he should be getting the awards buzz he is receiving. He’s stealing Riz Ahmed’s thunder, IMO. I still have my fingers crossed for Ahmed getting a Demian Bichir-like nomination next week.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I posted this reaction to The Grand Budapest Hotel in another thread:

I just finished watching this via HBO onDemand and didn’t laugh once. Where were the laughs? Was I supposed to laugh when William Dafoe threw a cat out the window? Ugh. The great cast was wasted in such small and stupid roles, the movie was a chore to sit through, and the dialogue was obnoxious and over the top. I don’t think I’ve ever hated an acclaimed movie more. A truly disappointing experience. I’m pissed.

I couldn’t stand Ralph Fiennes’ character. I even had him in my predictions for a ‘surprise’ nomination. I have to take him out now.

I can’t believe this is winning screenplay awards left and right when there’s Birdman, Boyhood, Nightcrawler, and Whiplash out there this year.

Wow, it seems like you disliked as much as I liked it. To me, it was Wes Anderson’s best film, and I’ve liked so many of his projects through the years. I know there are people who dislike his style, but for me it works. Out of curiosity, have you liked his past films?

ReplyCopy URL
    Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know, Shockingly I haven’t see much of the Oscar typed movies. I’ve seen Gone Girl, Interstellar and Into the Woods. Interstellar I guess, I think it’s pretty damn good but I perfer Gone and Into the Woods over Interstellar. I did buy Boyhood and The Grand Budapest Hotel so I’ll hopefully watch those soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pieman1994
    Participant
    Topics:

Most of the films I’ve seen this year, Oscar-wise at least, have been really good. I’ve loved, or at least very much liked, films like Boyhood, Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Gone Girl, and Nightcrawler. I mean, Foxcatcher wasn’t as great as I hoped it would be, and I am somewhat irked by The Imitation Game having so much momentum. To me, it’s a solid, albeit cookie-cutter bipoic with some fine acting–particularly from Knightley–that ultimately falls apart by the end. Other than that, I’ve enjoyed everything. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.