Home Forums Movies Most Overrated Performances of 2017

Most Overrated Performances of 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Philip
manalemel
DameAudrey
  • PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart – Personal Shopper

Holly Hunter – Big Sick

Robert Pattinson – Good Time

Selma Hayek – Beatriz at dinner

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that some people want Gal Gadot and Wonder Woman to get some awards nominations is pathetic and is only because it is a female superhero film

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Robert Pattinson in Good Time. He’s good, but FAR from awards worthy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turner Unruh
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Lady Bird but Metcalf is not great It makes me sick that in the past ten years the supporting actress winner has been a mother or a wife.

ReplyCopy URL
    sitizoner
    Participant
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart – Personal Shopper Holly Hunter – Big Sick Robert Pattinson – Good Time Selma Hayek – Beatriz at dinner

Nobody is even talking about Stewart and the other three are not even seriously considered. How are they even overrated?

ReplyCopy URL
    sitizoner
    Participant
    Topics:

Everyone and everything about Get Out are overrated. It’s a good film with fresh take on the subject of racism but the level of attention it attracts is just ridiculous. The only one that deserves nom/win (in my opinion) is Peele.

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart – Personal Shopper Holly Hunter – Big Sick Robert Pattinson – Good Time Selma Hayek – Beatriz at dinner

Nobody is even talking about Stewart and the other three are not even seriously considered. How are they even overrated?

Agree with you on most of this, but Hunter is in the top 5 in the prediction center though.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  jf123.

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

The only one that deserves nom/win (in my opinion) is Peele.

and only for Original Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Holly Hunter
    Get out
    Dunkirk

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    manalemel
    Participant
    Topics:

Chalamet and Hammer for CMBYN, definitely. Their performances are NOT bad, in ANY way, shape, or form…  But the rapture-like acclaim they’ve received (granted, Chalamet more so) has been one of the most mystifying cinematic anomalies I’ve ever experienced.  Chalamet’s final close-up is lovely, absolutely…  But I just don’t see the centuries of Love wash across his face like most critics seem to be seeing and worshipping.  I hold Kidman’s close-up in Birth as the modern bar for them, and Chalamet still needs a long way to go.  Also, his work in Lady Bird sours me to his work as Elio a tad as he’s essentially playing Elio’s darker half in LB, and therefore not really separating the character work as much as he could have; add that to the fact his New York youth slips through the cracks a few times in CMBYN, adding a kind of edge to the character not present in the book, and at odds with a lot of his performance so as to not look intentional.  He’s also like 6 years old in Hollywood years, so I’ll cut him a break, heh.  If he wins the Oscar, though, which I find doubtful, but in this day and age…  They will never forgive him for it in twenty years time.  CMBYN will not age as well as most people believe. Also, how anyone can’t see that Stuhlbarg plays his father as queer needs a good bat to the head.  But I enjoyed his understated performance, and that monologue gifted to him straight from the novel is as awards-ready as literally anything on any bait-script ever written. You want a real knockout performance?  Harris Dickinson in Beach Rats.  Where did HE come from?

ReplyCopy URL
    H. H.
    Participant
    Topics:

Chalamet and Hammer for CMBYN, definitely. Their performances are NOT bad, in ANY way, shape, or form… But the rapture-like acclaim they’ve received (granted, Chalamet more so) has been one of the most mystifying cinematic anomalies I’ve ever experienced. Chalamet’s final close-up is lovely, absolutely… But I just don’t see the centuries of Love wash across his face like most critics seem to be seeing and worshipping. I hold Kidman’s close-up in Birth as the modern bar for them, and Chalamet still needs a long way to go. Also, his work in Lady Bird sours me to his work as Elio a tad as he’s essentially playing Elio’s darker half in LB, and therefore not really separating the character work as much as he could have; add that to the fact his New York youth slips through the cracks a few times in CMBYN, adding a kind of edge to the character not present in the book, and at odds with a lot of his performance so as to not look intentional. He’s also like 6 years old in Hollywood years, so I’ll cut him a break, heh. If he wins the Oscar, though, which I find doubtful, but in this day and age… They will never forgive him for it in twenty years time. CMBYN will not age as well as most people believe. Also, how anyone can’t see that Stuhlbarg plays his father as queer needs a good bat to the head. But I enjoyed his understated performance, and that monologue gifted to him straight from the novel is as awards-ready as literally anything on any bait-script ever written. You want a real knockout performance? Harris Dickinson in Beach Rats. Where did HE come from?

Let me guess…you want Oldman to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    manalemel
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Gyllenhaal to win, IF he gets the surprise nomination some people seem to be expecting/hoping (he should already be a winner for BM, and a nominee for Nightcrawler).  I’d honestly be fine with Washington or Day-Lewis winning again.  Or even with Chalamet.  The field they’re recognizing (awards bodies) isn’t the strongest this year.

Don’t judge others until you’ve spent some time with them, whoever you are.  I certainly haven’t done the same with you.  Oldman’s as overrated as Chalamet, and at least Chalamet IS young and trying new things with his craft.

I didn’t write to “attack” the precious CMBYN community, so I really hope you’re not attempting to “call me” out (ha, I’m not proud of it, but there it is) if that’s what you believe I am doing.

ReplyCopy URL
    lorelei lor
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Gyllenhaal to win, IF he gets the surprise nomination some people seem to be expecting/hoping (he should already be a winner for BM, and a nominee for Nightcrawler). I’d honestly be fine with Washington or Day-Lewis winning again. Or even with Chalamet. The field they’re recognizing (awards bodies) isn’t the strongest this year. Don’t judge others until you’ve spent some time with them, whoever you are. I certainly haven’t done the same with you. Oldman’s as overrated as Chalamet, and at least Chalamet IS young and trying new things with his craft. I didn’t write to “attack” the precious CMBYN community, so I really hope you’re not attempting to “call me” out (ha, I’m not proud of it, but there it is) if that’s what you believe I am doing.

Day-Lewis or Washington winning AGAIN for their Oscar bait roles? Really? So boring. The same with Oldman. The only interesting win would be Chalamet’s or Kaluuya’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    manalemel
    Participant
    Topics:

Why do wins have to be interesting?  There’s nothing intriguing about awards…  They’re all political campaigns alleging to call something completely subjective and constructed by thousands of bodies, minds, and souls “the best” out of a near-infinite group of like things.

We can come close to understanding tiers of good and bad, but best?  There is no such thing.

To win for most interesting performance?  Sure.  I’ll chew on that, and Chalamet never bored me, so I’d put him down for that category.

Kaluuya’s performance is the last thing I remember from Get Out, and parading the shot of him “sinking” with tears in his eyes hasn’t really changed that for me.

Washington’s role was “interesting” to me, and Day-Lewis has never done anything uninteresting in his life…  For me.

Whatever happens, someone somewhere will be unhappy (me most likely, haha).  I just came to drop off my opinions like you!  🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    LangeWeaver2
    Participant
    Topics:

Willem Dafoe and Sam Rockwell.  Tiffany Haddish.  Michael Stuhlbarg (it’s a well written speech coming almost directly from the book, not sure why Stuhlbarg gets to take all the credit).  Honestly, and I may be hated for saying this and perhaps I need to rewatch the movie, but Saoirse Ronan.  She did really well, but better than Frances Mcdormand or even Jennifer Lawrence?  Don’t think so.

Laurie Metcalf is amazing in Lady Bird.  Such a commitment to a flawed and complex character.  I was weeping during the airport scene.  Guess I’m the only one excited to see her win.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
Reply To: Most Overrated Performances of 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.