Home Forums Movies Most Underrated Movies of 2017

Most Underrated Movies of 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Borja Lopez
Andrew D
jf123
  • Borja Lopez
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel that there are some fantastic films that are being criminally underrated. Some underrated movies are:
    * Detroit (pretty good movie. Great performances, beautiful directing by Bigelow and it is much better than Zero Dark Thirty, in my opinion)
    * mother! (mindblowing and one that will be talked about in the years to come. Jennifer Lawrence is Oscar-worthy and Javier Bardem gives a magnificent performance)
    * Okja (a very good movie from Netflix with a beautiful message)

What are your favorite films of this year that you believe are not being as praised as you think they should?

Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Mother!- BP , Director and Acting
    Lego Batman – Animated
    Coco – in BP
    it – Everything
    Atomic Blonde – Costumes and sets
    murder on the Orient – Costumes and Sets
    The Beguiled – Everything
    Alien – Sets
    Split – Everything

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

of the movies I have seen so far:

Battle of the Sexes. I esp. would cite the amazing ensemble cast, which really surprised me. The depth of the acting was phenomenal! Also: great editing, a terrific script and direction, and production design/costumes that were perfect (:

Beatriz at Dinner. Again, a terrific ensemble. One of the best political movies of 2017. Salma Hayek’s extraordinary lead performance. Mike White’s brilliant original screenplay. Simply superb (:

Stronger. Audiences stayed away, unfortunately, but this movie was terrific. Again, a great ensemble with a superb lead performance by Jake Gyllenhaal – a real gem (:

The Odyssey. Not sure if it got a proper release? I saw it at a film festival. This biopic about Jacques Cousteau was amazing! A great script, direction, ensemble, production design, editing, costumes, score – a magical extraordinary movie (:

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

The Death of Stalin– comedy of the year full stop. I think it will get traction in the UK despite the Tambor allegations, but those have effectively ended the little chances it had in the US.

Mother!– the most daring mainstream release of the year with an arguably career-best (yes, up there with Winter’s Bone) performance from Lawrence.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  mafro987.
    ReplyCopy URL
    JB
    Participant
    Topics:

Detroit
    PattiCake$
    Battle of the Sexes (It was fantastic and really should be more of a player this awards season.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

A lot of great choices mentioned so far. For me, it’s Ingrid Goes West. I wasn’t expecting it to get much of anything but I’m glad the Spirit Awards recognized it. It completely captured my love/hate relationship with social media. Great ensemble cast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Detroit
    PattiCake$
    Battle of the Sexes (It was fantastic and really should be more of a player this awards season.)

Oh my Gosh, I liked Battle of the Sexes too and I wanted Emma and Steve to be nominated in this circuit, but alas it’s not the case. Still great movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    jasonface
    Participant
    Topics:

The Killing of a Sacred Deer – amazing performances from Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman, breakout from newcomer Barry Keoghan, strong screenplay and direction, stunning cinematography

Wind River – another stroke of genius from Taylor Sheridan with tense direction, solid performances from leads Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen as well as Graham Greene and Gil Birmingham

As You Are – one of my favorite films officially released this year, an impressive directorial debut with a unique plot that reworks the coming-of-age narrative through a talented young cast

Brigsby Bear – wholly original comedy-drama from the unusual and underappreciated mind of SNL player Kyle Mooney, a whimsical and endearing homage to fandom from a first time director

A Ghost Story – poetic and powerful work of art that explores love and loss with thoughtful direction and affecting performances, beautiful Malick-esque cinematography and powerful score

Patti Cake$ – inventive story that boasts a starmaking lead performance from Australian actress Danielle Macdonald with support from an overall excellent cast, memorable music

The Beguiled – engaging adaptation of previous work, skillful direction and writing shifts perspective, uniformly wonderful ensemble, fantastical cinematography and production design

mother! – a polarizing entry into a polarizing filmography, confident direction unearths the strongest performance from an actress this year in Jennifer Lawrence, striking cinematography

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Sleight – A black comic book origin story that didn’t secure an audience nor rally critical support.

ReplyCopy URL
    Borja Lopez
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d add Wind River. It was a damn good movie. Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen are pretty good. It is certainly better than most of the movies that are getting Oscar buzz.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Borja Lopez.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Borja Lopez
    Participant
    Topics:

Beatriz at Dinner. Again, a terrific ensemble. One of the best political movies of 2017. Salma Hayek’s extraordinary lead performance. Mike White’s brilliant original screenplay. Simply superb (:

Hell yes. I’ve seen it recently and Salma Hayek is heartbreaking. I think she deserves far more attention, at least from the critics.

ReplyCopy URL
    clay bryce
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll probably catch hell for this because technically, it was released in NYC in 2016, but Netflix added it this past January so that’s my reasoning.

Aquarius starring Sonia Braga, in a magnificent and slow-burning performance that should have brought her mucho awards and attention. I have watched it now 4 times and with each viewing, the film get richer and has more meaning for me.

No film released in 2017 has engaged me more than this film has. Check it out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Yo Calvin
    Participant
    Topics:

Mother!
    The Beguiled
    Battle of the Sexes
    Logan Lucky

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Good Time
    Killing of A Sacred Deer
    Logan
    War for the Planet of the Apes
    Personal Shopper
    Last Flag Flying
    Baby Driver

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  jf123.

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ruby Sparks
    Participant
    Topics:

I was really impressed by the following:

Happy Death Day
    The Breadwinner
    Detroit
    Okja
    Beauty and the Beast
    Murder on the Orient Express
    The Boss Baby

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Most Underrated Movies of 2017

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.