Most “Underrated” Oscar Contenders 2014

Home // Forums // Movies // Most “Underrated” Oscar Contenders 2014

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • 24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Underrated wants its moment in the spotlight.

Nightcrawler is my favorite of 2014. It might actually end up with major nominations, but still underrated in the sense that it’s not a contender to win anything. The acting (Jake Gyllenhaal’s career best performance), direction (especially a key last scene), and memorable lines (like the one in my signature) all add up to such a thrill ride to watch and enjoy.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Underrated wants its moment in the spotlight.

Nightcrawler is my favorite of 2014. It might actually end up with major nominations, but still underrated in the sense that it’s not a contender to win anything. The acting (Jake Gyllenhaal’s career best performance), direction (especially a key last scene), and memorable lines (like the one in my signature) all add up to such a thrill ride to watch and enjoy.

I really enjoyed Nightcrawler, and I underestimated it’s chances with Oscar as well. I just had no confidence that AMPAS and the body of voters would honour a film that on the surface is so, “UnOscary” in terms of conventional stories, conventional screenplays, and conventional performances with paintbynumbers Direction, ala Benben (his mention became “organic” for me).

I hope this “trend” becomes more prevalent. Everytime it happens, my hopes rise. I have patience. Let’s have this happen before I’m dead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turner Unruh
    Participant
    Topics:

Meryl Streep I have no problem with her getting nominated in supporting just like Julia Roberts last year because at least they have several great scenes I would rather co leads go supporting if they don’t have there own storyline I am sick of when they have to say the wife of a man if I was to become a screenwriter I would have more women then men in all my movies and not just the wife the daughter or the sister

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Tilda Swinton “Snowpiercer”. She got in with the critics but doesn’t look like she is making impressions anywhere else. She is amazing in Snowpiercer and needs to especially be nominated since the ones getting nominated are such lower performances to scale than her’s 

Ralph Fiennes “The Grand Budapest Hotel”. Once again, he got in with the critics and with BAFTA but it doesn’t seem like he will get in at the Oscars. It’s the best performance of the year. Fiennes is on fire every scene he’s in and Fiennes just does comedy so natuarly like he has been a comedic actor all his life (he’s had a couple of comedies but none to this capacity)  

Chris Pine “Into the Woods”. He’s so funny and plays his part so well. Plus his performance of Agony is awesome  

Hilary Swank “The Homesman”. Not that it’s my favorite performance of the year but it is a pretty good performance that I’m surprised has had its back turned on through out award season.

David Fincher seems to be losing steam for Gone Girl and that’s a shame. He is such a great director and Gone Girl is some of his best work. He’s been on fire these last few movies 

I have tons more but those are the biggest ones  

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Josh Brolin for Inherent Vice- I think that in the supposedly baron Best Supporting Actor race, Brolin would be a worthy entry in the Final Five slot. I loved the whole bromance he and Joaquin Phoenix had and Brolin looked like he had a ball with his character. Plus, since the Academy loves seeing comedians going serious, Owen Wilson and Martin Short would also be worthy of recognition for the same film. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Most “Underrated” Oscar Contenders 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.