MSN’s 100 Greatest Films

Home // Forums // Movies // MSN’s 100 Greatest Films

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I found this list interesting. Love that my favorite movie of all time is #1!

http://movies.msn.com/100-favorite-films-intro/photo-gallery/feature/

Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

No Gone with the Wind???

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

It has a lot of fine choices on it, but 97 of the 100 greatest films of all time were made in English, and most of those in the US? Only in American would someone think of making a list like that without any irony.

It’s like when you see billboards that say X # of people will die this year from smoking, without qualifying that they mean only Americans, not people in the whole world. 

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Dirty Dancing? Love, Actually? Pfft.

ReplyCopy URL
    delerian
    Topics:

This list looks like what would happen when a couple of people get together to make a list their favorite films, put the names in a pile, and then decide to sort them. It is how you get a top 100 list that doesn’t include Raging Bull, Gone with the Wind, the Maltese Falcon, or Bonnie and Clyde. I also find it interesting that we have Raiders of the Lost Ark listed 25 places ahead of Citizen Kane. And Die Hard is almost 30 places ahead of Taxi Driver. Take from that what you will.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

42. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of
    Azkhaban

WTF?

89. Star Trek (2009)

Really?

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

Nice list for the under 30 sect..
    C,mon, really…no GONE WITH THE WIND
    ALLABOUT EVE #93

Love Actually on any top 100 list makes me squirm….

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes well; how gracious of MSN to include the odd Foreign film in their interesting list. How many are foreign language?

An ok list I guess. Some of their films would make my own list, especially if it were my top 1000 films of all time. Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok so no “Gone With the Wind” is so confusing to me. Its a classic and I think its perfect. The Harry Potter addition was funny though. I always hated that Harry Potter movie (I love the first two and the last two but the rest just didn’t make me go wow this is equaly as good as the book)

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

To be fair, the preface by Kent Laird specifically states that this ISN’T what the MSN writers find to be the BEST films of all time. It’s comprised of their favorites, or at least the ones that have had the greatest impact in shaping them as movie lovers. For all we know, they do find Gone With the Wind to be one of cinema’s greatest films. It’s just that it didn’t elicit the same response from them on a personal level that some like Indiana Jones, Grease, Say Anything or Star Trek might have. 

One can still take issue with their personal tastes, I suppose, but I think that Laird’s explanation justifies the selection of some broader titles. Heck, Field of Dreams is probably one of my favorite films – so I wouldn’t hesitate in listing it as such – but that doesn’t mean that I find it to be as well-crafted as Lawrence of Arabia.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

To be fair, the preface by Kent Laird specifically states that this ISN’T what the MSN writers find to be the BEST films of all time. It’s comprised of their favorites, or at least the ones that have had the greatest impact in shaping them as movie lovers. For all we know, they do find Gone With the Wind to be one of cinema’s greatest films. It’s just that it didn’t elicit the same response from them on a personal level that some like Indiana Jones, Grease, Say Anything or Star Trek might have. 

One can still take issue with their personal tastes, I suppose, but I think that Laird’s explanation justifies the selection of some broader titles. Heck, Field of Dreams is probably one of my favorite films – so I wouldn’t hesitate in listing it as such – but that doesn’t mean that I find it to be as well-crafted as Lawrence of Arabia.

I love “Field of Dreams” too. I always thought it was underrated. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: MSN’s 100 Greatest Films

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.