Home Forums Movies Naomi Watts cast as Princess Di: Oscar nomination for 2013?

Naomi Watts cast as Princess Di: Oscar nomination for 2013?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
Carbon Based ..
Morgan Henard
babypook
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Naomi Watts has been cast to play Princess Diana in Oliver Hischbiegel’s Caught in Flight:

Naomi Watts 

has signed to play British icon Princess Diana in Oliver Hirschbiegel‘s big screen portrait Caught In Flight.

The movie is being touted to buyers in Berlin by producers Ecosse
    Films, the U.K. production and finance banner behind a host of movies
    including
    Charlotte Gray, Becoming Jane and Brideshead Revisited.

Tim Haslam, the former Hanway Films chief executive, is handling worldwide sales under his upstart company Embankment Films.

Hirschbiegel directs Watts based on the screenplay by Stephen Jeffreys, with production set to begin in the U.K. later this year.

Billed as a compelling portrait of Diana, Princess of Wales during
    the last two years of her life, the script charts her search for
    personal happiness as she turned into a major international campaigner
    and humanitarian.

Watts, who will next be seen starring in The Impossible opposite Ewan McGregor,
    described her casting as “an honour to be able to play this iconic role
    – Princess Diana was loved across the world, and I look forward to
    rising to the challenge of playing her on screen.”

Hirschbiegel said Watts has enough in her acting armoury to embody
    “the warmth, humanity and empathy of such a global icon as Princess
    Diana.”

My first thoughts after reading this were that Naomi Watts has the looks and the acting chops to likely nail the part.  According to IMDB, the film is tentatively scheduled for a 2013 release, and if all goes as planned, I think Watts could be a serious contender for the Oscar race that year.

Although she has only been nominated for an Oscar once (for Lead Actress for her role 21 Grams in 2003), Watts could perhaps be seen as overdue, having also earned critical praise and awards recognition for her work in the films Mulholland Drive (2001), The Ring (2002), King Kong (2005), Eastern Promises (2007), Mother and Child (2009), and Fair Game (2010).

Oliver Hirschbiegel’s films include Das Experiment, and most notably, Der Untergang (Downfall), a portrayal of the final twelve days of Adolf Hitler’s life, which received an Academy Award nomination for Best Foreign Language Film.

Historically, the Academy Awards has been very welcoming towards portrayals of the English Monarchy:

• Colin Firth won Lead Actor for playing King George VI in The King’s Speech (2010)
    • Helena Bonham Carter was nominated for Supporting Actress for playing Queen Elizabeth in The King’s Speech (2010)
    • Helen Mirren won Lead Actress for playing Queen Elizabeth II in The Queen (2006)
    • Cate Blanchett was nominated for Lead Actress for playing Elizabeth I in Elizabeth (1998), and again for the same role in Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007)
    • Judi Dench won Supporting Actress for playing Queen Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love (1998), and was also nominated for Lead Actress for playing Queen Victoria in Mrs. Brown (1997)
    • Nigel Hawthorne was nominated for Lead Actor for playing King George III in The Madness of King George (1994)
    • Helen Mirren was nominated for Supporting Actress for playing Queen Charlotte in The Madess of King George (1994)
    • Kenneth Branagh was nominated for Lead Actor for playing King Henry V in Henry V (1989)
    • Richard Burton was nominated for Lead Actor for playing King Henry VIII in Anne of the Thousand Days (1969)
    • Peter O’Toole was nominated Lead Actor for playing King Henry II in Becket (1964), and again for the same role in The Lion in Winter (1968)
    • Laurence Olivier was nominated also nominated for Lead Actor for playing King Henry V in Henry V (1946), and for playing King Richard III in Richard III (1956)
    • Charles Laughton won Lead Actor for playing King Henry VIII in The Private Life of Henry VIII (1932/33)

Does anybody else think that this could be a surefire Oscar nomination for Watts?  Yes, we will have to wait until the film comes out before jumping to any conclusions, but I’d say there’s a very good chance for her.

Choice Chayawat
    Participant
    Topics:

So Jessica Chastain is replaced, isn’t she? It’s about time she got a little less busy.

To me, the perfect choice to play Princess Diana is Keira Knightley. It’s like the role is tailor-made for her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

Naomi Watts is an excellent actress, but I can’t see this type of hagiography garnering Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

She doesn’t have the right look to me. But its Hollywood. Wood have loved for Charlize Theron to play Princess Diana. But… Good luck to Naomi.

ReplyCopy URL
    Morgan Henard
    Topics:

I thought Jessica Chastain had this? Or is that for a different Princess Di film? I think this is a perfect film for Watts, as it will finally get her out of the shadow of being the one who gets Nicole Kidman’s leftovers. 

-Morgan 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Naomi Watts has been cast to play Princess Diana in Oliver Hischbiegel’s Caught in Flight:

[quote]Naomi Watts has signed to play British icon Princess Diana in Oliver Hirschbiegel‘s big screen portrait Caught In Flight.

The movie is being touted to buyers in Berlin by producers Ecosse Films, the U.K. production and finance banner behind a host of movies including Charlotte Gray, Becoming Jane and Brideshead Revisited.

Tim Haslam, the former Hanway Films chief executive, is handling worldwide sales under his upstart company Embankment Films.

Hirschbiegel directs Watts based on the screenplay by Stephen Jeffreys, with production set to begin in the U.K. later this year.

Billed as a compelling portrait of Diana, Princess of Wales during the last two years of her life, the script charts her search for personal happiness as she turned into a major international campaigner and humanitarian.

Watts, who will next be seen starring in The Impossible opposite Ewan McGregor, described her casting as “an honour to be able to play this iconic role – Princess Diana was loved across the world, and I look forward to rising to the challenge of playing her on screen.”

Hirschbiegel said Watts has enough in her acting armoury to embody “the warmth, humanity and empathy of such a global icon as Princess Diana.”

My first thoughts after reading this were that Naomi Watts has the looks and the acting chops to likely nail the part.  According to IMDB, the film is tentatively scheduled for a 2013 release, and if all goes as planned, I think Watts could be a serious contender for the Oscar race that year.

Although she has only been nominated for an Oscar once (for Lead Actress for her role 21 Grams in 2003), Watts could perhaps be seen as overdue, having also earned critical praise and awards recognition for her work in the films Mulholland Drive (2001), The Ring (2002), King Kong (2005), Eastern Promises (2007), Mother and Child (2009), and Fair Game (2010).

Oliver Hirschbiegel’s films include Das Experiment, and most notably, Der Untergang (Downfall), a portrayal of the final twelve days of Adolf Hitler’s life, which received an Academy Award nomination for Best Foreign Language Film.

Historically, the Academy Awards has been very welcoming towards portrayals of the English Monarchy:

• Colin Firth won Lead Actor for playing King George VI in The King’s Speech (2010)
    • Helena Bonham Carter was nominated for Supporting Actress for playing Queen Elizabeth in The King’s Speech (2010)
    • Helen Mirren won Lead Actress for playing Queen Elizabeth II in The Queen (2006)
    • Cate Blanchett was nominated for Lead Actress for playing Elizabeth I in Elizabeth (1998), and again for the same role in Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007)
    • Judi Dench won Supporting Actress for playing Queen Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love (1998), and was also nominated for Lead Actress for playing Queen Victoria in Mrs. Brown (1997)
    • Nigel Hawthorne was nominated for Lead Actor for playing King George III in The Madness of King George (1994)
    • Helen Mirren was nominated for Supporting Actress for playing Queen Charlotte in The Madess of King George (1994)
    • Kenneth Branagh was nominated for Lead Actor for playing King Henry V in Henry V (1989)
    • Richard Burton was nominated for Lead Actor for playing King Henry VIII in Anne of the Thousand Days (1969)
    • Peter O’Toole was nominated Lead Actor for playing King Henry II in Becket (1964), and again for the same role in The Lion in Winter (1968)
    • Laurence Olivier was nominated also nominated for Lead Actor for playing King Henry V in Henry V (1946), and for playing King Richard III in Richard III (1956)
    • Charles Laughton won Lead Actor for playing King Henry VIII in The Private Life of Henry VIII (1932/33)

Does anybody else think that this could be a surefire Oscar nomination for Watts?  Yes, we will have to wait until the film comes out before jumping to any conclusions, but I’d say there’s a very good chance for her.[/quote]

Yes,  I do. Hollywood has a love affair with the Monarchy. I’m a bit surprised by this topic actually, because it is one of my own.
    Ian McKellen was nominated for a BAFTA for his modernized perf in Richard 3 as well.

I wonder if Naomi is going to play a very young Diana as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

YES!!!! one of my favorite actresses!!!! Oscar oscar oscar!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Morgan Henard
    Topics:

Via Jessica Chastain’s Facebook. I’d love to know what she means by this not making sense for her. Regardless, she’s going to have a plethora of great roles in her very bright future.

Jessica Chastain

Hi guys. So yep, it’s true. I’m no longer attached to this project. I did the Vanity Fair interview back in November when I thought I could work it out in my schedule. But soon after, I realized that it didn’t make sense for me. I didn’t want to announce that I was no longer attached until they found someone else. And boy, did they! I think Naomi Watts is so perfect to play Diana! I’ve been such a fan of hers for the longest time. Her performance in Mulholland Drive is utter perfection. I’m very excited to see this film and what I expect will be a magnificent performance. xxx

ReplyCopy URL
    iskolar
    Participant
    Topics:

I guess it didn’t sense to do in terms of possibility in finding the schedule for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

Her performance in Mulholland Drive is utter perfection.

True, dat.

BTW, I met someone who knew both Diana and Charles, and guess who’s side they were on?  However, I do applaud Charles’ championship of environmental issues.

ReplyCopy URL
    BamaEd75
    Topics:

I too thought Chastain would have been marvelous in the role, and Theron has the look. Right now, I can’t see Watts in the role. Partly because I’m not as huge a Watts fan as others on the board, but she just doesn’t have “the look”. It will be interesting to see her take on it though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, I think Watts has the right “look,” all right:

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Vaz
    Participant
    Topics:

in my opinion, Jessica Chastain was the perfect one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

in my opinion, Jessica Chastain was the perfect one.

They would never cast an American to play Diana Spencer.

ReplyCopy URL
    iskolar
    Participant
    Topics:

While Jessica Chastain is a very marvelous choice, I think Watts is also an inspired and interesting one. Besides, I miss some mervelous Watts acting. The last time I probably liked her was in The Painted Veil. I don’t like seeing her talent put into waste in crap such as Dream House.

It’s funny to look back, because back in 2003, since we all know Charlize Theron is winning, that Naomi will get one soon (if not the end of the decade). But after King Kong (which I think she deserved a nom), she struggled with her next film choices.

Oh wait, I liked her in Mother and Child!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Naomi Watts cast as Princess Di: Oscar nomination for 2013?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.