Home Forums Movies National Board of Review Winners (2017)

National Board of Review Winners (2017)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 151 through 154 (of 154 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
Atypical
Marcus Snowde..
  • Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

I could definitely see “Call Me By Your Name” winning top prize at the BAFTAs. The most critically acclaimed film of the year, say “Boyhood” or “Brokeback Mountain”, often wins the BAFTA even when the Oscars choose something else. At both awards Christopher Nolan may be more likely to take the directing prize over his film winning best picture.

BAFTA like to give Picture and Director to the same film though. Hence Dunkirk.

ReplyCopy URL
    cinephile_
    Participant
    Topics:

I could definitely see “Call Me By Your Name” winning top prize at the BAFTAs. The most critically acclaimed film of the year, say “Boyhood” or “Brokeback Mountain”, often wins the BAFTA even when the Oscars choose something else. At both awards Christopher Nolan may be more likely to take the directing prize over his film winning best picture.

I would generally agree any other year but I think you’re underestimating/forgetting how much of a critical and box office hit Dunkirk was. Not even to mention Dunkirk’s technical achievement. There’s no way Dunkirk won’t win the BAFTA best picture.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Bafta is a much bigger question mark. Will the British Film Academy be able to relate to the coming-of-age story of this American high school girl? They liked Boyhood enough to give it Picture/Director, but we will see if they respond to Lady Bird with nearly as much passion.

Lady Bird isn’t on general release in the UK until February 16, and late UK releases tend to have problems at BAFTA despite hosting exclusive screenings and sending screeners. For instance:

– Moonlight missing Director and below-the-line noms and winning nothing
    – Fences being nominated for Supporting Actress only
    – Her and Dallas Buyers Club being totally overlooked

There are other examples as well. So I wouldn’t expect a directing nom for Gerwig there. Two acting noms and screenplay are more likely.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@wilkomirsk11 Thanks for the info on Lady Bird. Now I know not to set my expectations to high for it at Bafta specifically.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 151 through 154 (of 154 total)
Reply To: National Board of Review Winners (2017)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.