Natl. Board of Review 1937-1944

Home // Forums // Movies // Natl. Board of Review 1937-1944

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone own “The Big Book of Show Business Awards” by David Sheward???  I used to have a copy and just bought one online for 1 penny plus ship & handling – lol. 

Anyway, I remember this book actually having acting winners in the National Board of Review sections starting in 1937.  It listed a variable number of winners without category through 1944.  Of course all other records I can find don’t have any winners of acting prizes listed until 1945.

What’s the validity here?  Anyone know anything thing about it? 

Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Before 1945 The National Board of Review didn’t give out specific acting awards. Instead they released a list of their favourite performances of the year under the heading ‘Best Acting’.

For example there were 12 people so named in 1937. I have the lists here but no time to post them all. Will try and do it later.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks Baby Clyde…

But what I’m looking for is why can’t I find any other source besides the above mentioned book for these listings?  The official NBR site doesn’t mention them nor does IMDB.  I have found a few web pages that mention a couple of these earlier honors like Greta Garbo, Bette Davis & Spencer Tracy’s mentions…but no real source listed along with it.

Before 1945 The National Board of eview didn’t give out specific acting awards. Instead they released a list of their fvourite performances of the year under the heading ‘Best Acting’.

For example there were 12 people so names in 1937. I have the lists here but no time to post them all. Will try and do it later.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Natl. Board of Review 1937-1944

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.