Official 2013 OSCARS Ceremony Reactions

Home // Forums // Movies // Official 2013 OSCARS Ceremony Reactions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,090 total)

This topic contains 1,089 replies, has 1,090 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris Beachum Chris Beachum 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Profile photo of Chris BeachumChris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Total Topics

86TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS
    Airing Sunday, March 2, on ABC

CEREMONY HOST:
    Ellen DeGeneres

CEREMONY PERFORMERS:
    Idina Menzel
    Bette Midler
    Karen O
    Pink
    U2
    Pharrell Williams

CEREMONY PRESENTERS:
    Amy Adams
    Kristen Bell
    Jessica Biel
    Jim Carrey
    Glenn Close
    Bradley Cooper
    Penélope Cruz
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Viola Davis
    Daniel Day-Lewis
    Robert De Niro
    Zac Efron
    Sally Field
    Harrison Ford
    Jamie Foxx
    Andrew Garfield
    Jennifer Garner
    Whoopi Goldberg
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    Anne Hathaway
    Goldie Hawn
    Chris Hemsworth
    Kate Hudson
    Samuel L. Jackson
    Angelina Jolie
    Michael B. Jordan
    Anna Kendrick
    Jennifer Lawrence
    Matthew McConaughey
    Ewan McGregor
    Bill Murray
    Kim Novak
    Tyler Perry
    Brad Pitt
    Sidney Poitier
    Gabourey Sidibe
    Will Smith
    Kevin Spacey
    Jason Sudeikis
    Channing Tatum
    Charlize Theron
    John Travolta
    Christoph Waltz
    Kerry Washington
    Emma Watson
    Naomi Watts

Profile photo of PRHPhillyGuest2014
    Participant
    Total Topics

Still no category order yet save the final four (Director, Actor, Actress, Pic)?  Dying to know what KB will present. She’s not just the lead in a $385 million boxoffice hit, she’s led the fight against stalkerazzi taking pictures of children of celebrity marrieds. She and Dax Shepard have gotten E!, Us, People, Just Jared, The Insider, Entertainment Tonight to not televise any “pedo-razzi” photos of kids.

Profile photo of Chris BeachumChris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Total Topics

Kristen Bell and Michael B. Jordan will present a highlight clip package from the sci-tech awards event they hosted. That is an annual tradition the show has done for many years.

Profile photo of Dylan TuckerCanadianFan
    Participant
    Total Topics

I think it’s safe to say Julie Delpy will not be asked to present. This is what she said:

On award shows being meaningless: “We have the Golden Globes. If you could see it, you wouldn’t believe that there’s anything good about it. The same goes for the Oscars. It’s 90 per cent white men over 70 who need money because they haven’t done anything in a long time. You just need to give them two or three presents and they’re in your pocket. It doesn’t mean anything to me, so I don’t really care if there are women in the selection process.”

On the Weinstein’s crushing real independent cinema: “I think they love cinema, but they also like to take a movie and give it an added value, then kill everything left behind. This has a lot to do with the Oscars. In the 90s, there were real independent movies, but they have slowly been crushed by the majors. The minute they take over something, they crush it.”

On starring in Hollywood blockbusters: “I’ve made some big movies before already. C*** stuff like The Three Musketeers. Every time I’ve become a part of the Hollywood mainstream, it’s been c***! Let’s be honest: 90 per cent of movies made in Hollywood are c***.”

Participant
    Total Topics

I’ve got a reaction…every presenter who has a twitter account is being spam-bombed by Venezuelans demanding they speak up about the stuff that’s happening down there on tomorrow night’s broadcast.  It’s fucking ridiculous.  

Participant
    Total Topics

Kristen Bell and Michael B. Jordan will present a highlight clip package from the sci-tech awards event they hosted. That is an annual tradition the show has done for many years.

\]

Cool! 🙂 

Profile photo of Chris BeachumChris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Total Topics

With her attending, there is also a slight possibility she might intro Idina Menzel to perform the “Frozen” song.

Profile photo of Tyler [Last Name]Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Total Topics

Where to start, where to start.

Well, first off Ellen was okay. I am personally not a fan of her style of hosting or of herself in general, but I felt she did alright. There were some very memorable moments during this telecast, namely the group selfie that she had with all those actors which actually is real if you want to go onto the official Oscar Facebook group (It’s now my desktop on my laptop). My other favourite moment was Ellen ordering only like three large pizzas to the several hundreds who were at that theatre. But overall, it was kind of a step down from last year’s host Seth MacFarlane (am I seriously the only one who thought he did a good job?).

As for the winners, a lot of them were by the book with no big surprises. Gravity took home a massive haul of seven wins out of ten, which is kind of a shame for me since I am in the vast minority who thought Gravity was, and I quote, “the most overrated film of the year”, but I digress. 12 Years a Slave won 3 awards including Best Picture of the Year. And American Hustle was the big fat loser, the big fat goose egg of the ceremony losing all ten nominations it was up for, ironically I felt this was the best film of the year.

The ceremony had some brisk moments, but also some sluggish moments. Liked all the performances at the telecast, especially Bette Midler doing awesome in “Wing Beneath My Wings” and P!nk’s stunning rendition of “Over the Rainbow”. All of the original song contenders were pretty excellent too, and Idina Menzel just knocked it out of the park for me. Was it just me, or did they seem to play Pharrell’s “Happy” longer than all the other contenders?

While not as memorable as last year’s telecast, it was decidedly safe. The jokes were good, the opening monologue had some nice stuff in it. A lot of jokes missed their mark. Some memorable performances by the singers. I have mixed feelings about the telecast this year, but overall I felt it was good, but maybe I’m just bitter that a movie that I wasn’t fond of (fucking Gravity) was so adored when it so obviously shouldn’t have been. But to each his own.

RATING: 7/10

Jason Travis
    Participant
    Total Topics

OSCAR RECAP

FINAL GOLDDERBY SCORE: 19/24
    FINAL OSCARWORLD CONTEST SCORE: 20/24

THE GREAT

1. CATE BLANCHETT wins Best Actress! It was expected all along, but I truly feel this is one of the most deserved wins in this category in years. She also gave the best speech of the night- it was everything you could expect and more- humble, funny, endearing, courageous and beautiful. She looked stunning, she got her ovation and she has her Oscar. 

2. LUPITA NYONG’O wins Best Supporting Actress! It was a tight battle between her and Jennifer Lawrence, and I am glad she won – well deserved, and beautiful speech. 

3. 12 Years a Slave wins Best Picture- fantasic- and Brad Pitt is now an official Oscar winner.

4. Ellen DeGeneres- hats off to you! You were awesome- everything a host should be, and true stand up comedy at the beginning. I am glad she was able to have fun and not offend and still be funny. 

THE GOOD

1. Helium, as I predicted, takes Best Live Action Short. Emotionally charged, this was a great win.

2. Spike Jonze wins Best Original Screenplay for Her– I am SO pissed I had this all along and decided to switch last-minute because everyone said American Hustle “has to win something”; well this proved wrong and I will never listen to dumb gossip again. I am glad I stuck with Jonze in the OscarWorld Oscar Contest – helped keep my score high. Jonze deserved this for the most original story of the year.

3. Gravity wins 7 Oscars- all deserved to me, and glad I stuck with it in Film Editing- I didn’t buy into the Captain Phillips buzz here. Alfonso Cuaron deserved this for Directing- a genius.

4. Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey- whether or not you agreed- or were bored with the obvious choice- both men deliver astonishing performances in the film, and both gave admirable speeches as well.

5. 20 Feet from Stardom winning Documentary and the singing speech- too good!

THE BAD

1. The Great Gatsby (which I did predict in Production Design) wins both it’s Oscars- ugh. Such safe and name checking choices. 

2. “Let It Go” wins over “Happy” and “Long Walk to Freedom”- blah! Just not in the same league. 

While (mostly) predictable with the winners, I enjoyed this telecast and the winners much more than last year! All four acting winners deserved their prizes and the Best Picture and Directing honors are very worthy. Can’t complain too much about the winners (Get a Horse losing was shocking). Also American Hustle goes 0-10- and as much as some may be disgruntled, I have to admit this was not a film that deserved any awards. Hyped, fun and mostly marketing- the academy decided it didn’t need anything, and proves just because your movie gets a lot of nominations for your actors does not mean it’s going to win. 

A great year- Congrats to all the winners!

Profile photo of Matt JennerMacbeth
    Participant
    Total Topics

I might as well steal this space as well

I think if 12 Years a Slave wins anything except Best Picture, this space will be just tears

Jason Travis
    Participant
    Total Topics

I am predicting Gravity to win Best Picture, but I truly want 12 Years a Slave to prevail. I feel strongly about both films- and even had a much more entertaining experience screening Gravity. But my heart wants Slave. This is a special year in that both top contending films for the final prize (assuming AH is out) are movies I rally behind. 

Last year provided a lot of fun suspense for me, but I pretty much knew Argo was good to go. This year, we sort of have a weird up climb of somewhat predictable categories (some not) and then no one really knows what will win Best Picture. Scottfurgesen makes a good point that this could be a year where Best Picture will win nothing else at all. And just because we see a movie doing well earlier in the night, still doesn’t really make much difference in terms of the final outcome.

It’s 4AM and I am not going to sleep lol! 

Profile photo of teribabypook
    Participant
    Total Topics

Hey Jas, if 12 Years wins ONLY Best Picture and nothing else, an idea which strikes me as wishful yearning, I will eat my hat, in three gulps. What I’m interested in seeing, is what happens with American Hustle. (I think it’s a given that Nebraska will be shut out…mwahahaha!) Of all the early and present likelies, AH has the best chance of being blanked.

I’d love to see some surprises, especially in the Best Actor and Director categories. My personal favorite friom the nominated is Her. Joaquin is so good, it hurts. He could replace anyone on the ballot imo. And Scarjo, should be dating the Hal9000. She might have been good for him.

Btw, why are you guys reserving a spot? Are you going to come back to this page and only post your thoughts/reactions underneath, creating an ongoing experience?

Lol. I think I’ll just react spontaneously, anywhere it strikes me.

Jason Travis
    Participant
    Total Topics

@Pook: I loved Her too; rooting for it to take Screenplay and Production Design, but predicting elsewhere crazily. 

American Hustle (which I now have in Screenplay) is the darkhorse that could take more then we think. I don’t think it wins Best Picture, but I do think it has a big shot for Jennifer Lawrence. I have Lupita, but this is shaky. Another reason why I don’t think 12 Years wins top dice (and I mentioned this in the main predix area) is because I don’t think it’s solid in any categories, where as Gravity is very solid in numerous spots- including Best Director. That to me, says something.

I will be watching the Oscars with my parents for the first time in 10 years- so won’t be blogging until after the ceremony. And recently that’s what I do- watch and then react. This is the one time I don’t want to do play on play commentary until I have fully immersed myself in the experience. It could change though lol.  

Profile photo of teribabypook
    Participant
    Total Topics

@Pook: I loved Her too; rooting for it to take Screenplay and Production Design, but predicting elsewhere crazily. 

American Hustle (which I now have in Screenplay) is the darkhorse that could take more then we think. I don’t think it wins Best Picture, but I do think it has a big shot for Jennifer Lawrence. I have Lupita, but this is shaky. Another reason why I don’t think 12 Years wins top dice (and I mentioned this in the main predix area) is because I don’t think it’s solid in any categories, where as Gravity is very solid in numerous spots- including Best Director. That to me, says something.

I will be watching the Oscars with my parents for the first time in 10 years- so won’t be blogging until after the ceremony. And recently that’s what I do- watch and then react. This is the one time I don’t want to do play on play commentary until I have fully immersed myself in the experience. It could change though lol.  

“I do think it has a big shot for Jennifer Lawrence”

LOLOL! I’ve been predicting her all along. I meant. “besides” Lawrence. I think it has a shot at both screenplay and costume design, and maybe even Best Picture, but I’m betting, no to all.

Your take on Gravity is……interesting…(kidding, kidding). Boy will I be happy should there be an “upset” in the Director category.

Jason Travis
    Participant
    Total Topics

Pook- I have a question for you regarding Lawrence. Maybe you can clear this up; I find her performance very uneven. I liked her in the quieter moments (her outside lunch at the end)- but the scenes where she’s screaming about the microwave, or laughing at dinner- I found very over the top and not realistic.

Was she SUPPOSED to play it like that? Or is she actually conveying it as a believable adult? Because it came off like a bad SNL skit to me but perhaps Rosalyn was just ‘hustling’ – and her true self is revealed in the scenes I liked. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,090 total)

The topic ‘Official 2013 OSCARS Ceremony Reactions’ is closed to new replies.