Home Forums Movies Official FURY (2014) Thread

Official FURY (2014) Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
KyleBailey
Tye-Grr
KT
  • ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

There doesn’t seem to be a thread for this yet, but the trailer just dropped today, so it seems like an ideal time to start one.

Trailer:
    http://youtu.be/-OGvZoIrXpg

I think it looks great, what does everyone else think?

Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s piqued my interest. David Ayer doesn’t have a spotless track record as a writer or director, and the film seems pretty thematically similar to most war films (I’m getting a Saving Private Ryan vibe from it), but the atmosphere seemed intriguing enough and I was actually pretty interested in Brad Pitt. If it gets above average reviews, I’ll probably tune in, though I’m not expecting too much.  But, hey, End of Watch did well enough, so who knows? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I think it looks good, and it could be a powerful film. Pitt and Logan Lerman both look great in the trailer. The atmosphere and cinematoraphy are really strong. I’m definitely intrigued by this one. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I didnt notice Shia in the trailer. You know what you may expect from Ayer and this could be his best film to date. Or not. Lol. I’ll watch it anyways. These overwhelming odds against films come up from time to time ala 300, Henry V (cough), Okehazama, Lacolle Mill, Cerami, and so on.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

WOW WOW WOW WOW. Just got back from an advanced screening and I thought this was outstanding! Brad Pitt, Logan Lerman, and Jon Bernthal were on fire and Shia was very good too as well as Pena. Definitly will be getting Sound nominations and possibly production design. Would watch out for this one in Picture as well if some of our favorites turn out differently. I thought this was the best war film I have ever seen, and yes I’ve seen Saving Private Ryan. I was on the edge of my seat this whole movie. One of my favorites of the year

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Saw this tonight with my brother. Strong war film, and at times a very intriguing character study. Brad Pitt does very strong work as Wardaddy, and he holds the film together. Logan Lerman is the heart of the film as the newest recruit, and he does some very fine work. Jon Bernthal goes all in as the most mentally distraught member, and Peña does solid work as the most underwritten character. The one who steals the film for me though is Shia LaBeouf, and he gets the most mysterious and possibly the most complex character. As “Bible” (named as such as he is very religious and sometimes quotes bible verses), he has morals, and a conscious, but he justifies his actions and believes that god will someday forgive him. His relationship with Pitt’s character is so interesting. There’s a moment where Pitt and Lerman’s character are having dinner with two German girls, and Bernthal and Peña’s characters barge in and start ruining it by being crude and downright mean (even vile on Bernthal’s character’s part), and it’s very intense. Bernthal and Peña are angry that Pitt is having this moment with Lerman, but LaBeouf (mostly) silently weeps at the table and looks at Pitt with pain in his eyes. He’s angry too, sure, but he’s upset, and he takes it personally. There’s another moment near the end when (SPOILER ALERT) Pitt’s character is wounded and LaBeouf tends to him. With tears in his eyes, he looks into Pitt’s eyes as they just silently stare at one another. He looks scared, concerned, and his eyes are telling a story that stretches well beyond what is on the page. There is a bond there, a love, and you get the sense that he was once in Lerman’s character’s shoes and Pitt’s character has been a father and a leader and friend for all of these years. His performace has stuck with me the most. Besides the acting, the action sequences are well staged, and the tank fights in particular are very suspenseful. I thought the final gun fight went on a tad too long, and the outcome was a little hard to swallow, but overall I was impressed with David Ayer’s war film. I would give it a B+/A-.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brian Tooley
    Participant
    Topics:

I just saw this and it is my favorite movie of 2014. Logan Lerman gives a fantastic performance. I predict his name will be among the best Supporting Actor nominees come Oscar. I give it an A+.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Lerman and LaBeouf gave my favorite performances from the film, but Lerman’s has the arc. That being said, as I already stated in my review above, LaBeouf has some moments that really stuck with me. I’m torn between the two as to which one I Iiked more personally, but Oscar wise I think Lerman has the best chance of any of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah I think we should watch out for Lerman. With a weakish supporting acting field, who knows. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

I thought this was the best war film I have ever seen, and yes I’ve seen Saving Private Ryan. I was on the edge of my seat this whole movie. One of my favorites of the year

I can recommend a bunch of war movies if you want to see some really powerful films.  I would not rank Saving Private Ryan among them, apart from its D-Day invasion sequence which was hugely influential.  I’ll see Fury soon, I think.  I’m a little worried about the ending, according to some critics’ thoughts.  I also heard Lerman talk about shooting the film and said it was absolute hell.  He wouldn’t go into specifics because it was a “hazing” process and didn’t want to get the director/cast in trouble.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I’m so happy for the Lerman mentiones. He was so snubbed in “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”. Let’s hope he can sneak in this time!

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Seriously wondering now if Lerman, LaBouf, and Pitt can sneak in and get nominated (and possibly win). I saw this last night just because my friends didn’t wanna go alone but I really liked it (as evident in my prediction changes lol).

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I would rank the performances of the primary cast:

1. Lerman (he gets a complete character arc, he gets some money scenes, and you can see his growth as a character and you feel the most empathetic towards him)
    2. LaBeouf (I think he gets some excellent moments, no really BIG scenes, but he brings something to this character that implies years worth of backstory)
    3. Pitt (he’s pretty excellent, and he holds the whole thing together, bringing depth where a lesser actor would play it as written)
    4. Bernthal (he completely commits to this character, but other than one throw-away line to Lerman’s character late in the film, he’s pretty one-note)
    5. Pena (very good, but his role is the most noticeably underwritten)

I think Lerman, LaBeouf, and Pitt are contenders. Will any get in? Who’s to say, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Lerman managed to make it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I have to admit, LeBouf might have gone off the rails in real life for a while but he probably might be the next RDJ.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I sure hope he doesn’t turn into a smug narsistic ass like RDJ.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Official FURY (2014) Thread

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.