Home Forums Movies Oliver! at the Oscars (1968)

Oliver! at the Oscars (1968)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Baby Clyde
KT
benbraddock
  • dude93
    Topics:

Oliver! received 11 Oscar nominations in 1968, including acting nods for Ron Moody (leading actor) and Jack Wild (supporting actor)… It strikes me as odd though, that Oliver Reed wasn’t nominated for his brilliant performance as Bill Sikes, and also that Shani Wallis wasn’t nominated (even for a Globe) for her role as Nancy. Nowadays, it seems that the Academy love honoring supporting musical heroines (Chicago, Les Misérables, Dreamgirls, etc.), and I wonder why they didn’t nominate the most obvious female character in the film – it would’ve been a lovely gesture for Wallis to have been given a supporting actress nod… What do you guys think? Should it have received more acting Oscar nominations? Even at the Globes? (Side note: Hugh Griffith was ridiculously nominated for a Globe for his role as the Judge – WTF?)

Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Wallis should deffo have been nommed, especially considering some of the actual nominees that year.

And it’s ’68 not ’69. You should stick to the year in which the awards are for, not the year in which they were awarded.

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Shani Wallis was an embarassment in such a solid film..
    Even on Broadway, i dont think the role of Nancy was anything special
    and i dont think Georgia Brown won the Tony award for featured actress..
    With one of the all-time greatest theater songs to sing (As long as he Needs Me)
    it does seem like the right person who nailed it and the acting would receive
    recognition.

With all that being said..Oliver  should not have won best picture or director
    over The Lion in Winter…IMO

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

Oops my bad… Too late now anyway… Yeah and that was at a time where leading ladies of musical films were being awarded, Streisand, Minnelli etc., Wallis should’ve been I think.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure you can still alter the thread title, if you want.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

I always thought the Oliver! win was honoring Reed for his career and The Third Man nearly 20 years too late.

I think 2001: A Space Odyssey was the incredible film of the year.  There’s the film that should have been nominated for and won Best Picture, and Best Director.  Kubrick winning an Oscar for Visual Effects is so LOL!  Only at the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I had been avoiding posting in this thread because, although Oliver! has it’s moments, the iconic, daring, incredible 2001 A Space Odyssey, didnt win. Not surprising, but the personification of the Hal9000, the mind-boggling screenplay, and the genre itself turned me into a film lover. This was the film that did it for me. I saw it in a film class when I was a teen, marginally dragged to it by someone I later married. Lol.
    Has the Academy come a long way since then? Uh-huh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vincent Yeoh (aka Vinny)
    Topics:

Kubrick winning an Oscar for Visual Effects is so LOL!

Kubrick the visionary filmmaker deserved the Oscar for Visual Effects, which were stunning in 2001. Better he have won that than to not have won at all.

I agree that Reed received the Oscar mainly as a career win. But if not him, than the next in line for the Oscar that year would have been Anthony Harvey, not Kubrick.

The Best Picture that year went to the film with the most nominations and wins, which few would quarrel with. It’s not that Lion in Winter or 2001 were less deserving, but the overall favorite won.

Oliver! brought the musical alive on screen, and deserved all the kudos. Comparing it to 2001 is like comparing apples and oranges.

Shani Wallis did not receive any nomination for any award, so it should have been no surprise she did not get the Oscar nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Oliver >>>2001 any day of the week.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Riiiight.

[quote=”rbttk1721″]Kubrick winning an Oscar for Visual Effects is so LOL!

Kubrick the visionary filmmaker deserved the Oscar for Visual Effects, which were stunning in 2001. Better he have won that than to not have won at all.[/quote]

That wasn’t my take.  It was just that in the scope of what he accomplished as a director, it’s rather funny that the Academy only recognized him for visual effects.  I was in no way saying he didn’t deserve that Oscar.  If I can remember correctly, this was listed as one of the most deserving Oscar wins ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Topics:

Oliver is a garbage film. Complete and total shit from beginning to end. (Most of the winners from the 60s are)

2001 should have swept. Period.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Oliver! at the Oscars (1968)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.