Home Forums Movies Oscar 2018: Is Del Toro a lock for Best Director or Nolan still stands a chance

Oscar 2018: Is Del Toro a lock for Best Director or Nolan still stands a chance

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
I Am The Night
Teridax
sofan
  • Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Nolan is winning DGA. If he can get nominated for Memento, he can win for Dunkirk. Del Toro couldn’t even get nominated for Pan’s Labyrinth. How the fuck will he win for a film about a woman fucking a fish?

ReplyCopy URL
    Dan Jo Galicia
    Participant
    Topics:

Nolan is winning DGA. If he can get nominated for Memento, he can win for Dunkirk. Del Toro couldn’t even get nominated for Pan’s Labyrinth. How the fuck will he win for a film about a woman fucking a fish?

Nolan was not nominated for Best Director for the film Memento. He did in fact for screenplay.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Nolan was not nominated for Best Director for the film Memento. He did in fact for screenplay.

Macca meant that Nolan was nominated for DGA for Memento. Funny, he’s actually been nominated 4 times for the DGA Award including this year, but never received an Oscar nomination for Directing. Maybe the “overdue” narrative will be enough to push him to a win at the Directors Guild Awards after all. I won’t rule it out, though I’m sticking with my Del Toro prediction for the reasons I stated above.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Nolan can still win DGA and Bafta, so it’s not over yet

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

Del Toro is a lock. He could lose Bafta to Nolan due solely to British national pride, but he is winning DGA for sure and then the Oscar. His film has is the more heartfelt and human, a technically impressive film like Dunkirk, with far more colorful and showy production design and Costumes, giving him the clear edge in my book.

If we’re talking about film quality, i would say Dunkirk is propably Nolan’s least impressive work (i cant comprehend it) and it’s not half as good as the other films i see this year like Blade Runner 2049 or Shape of Water.

but we’re talking about the direction of the movie, the influence of the director throughout the sequences and in that case i think Nolan did absolutely well, on par with Del Toro.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d say that del Toro’s the frontrunner, but I won’t say he’s a lock. Nolan (even McDonagh, for that matter) can win at the BAFTAs. I think that the DGA is likely his, but anything can happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m decidedly less than convinced Nolan is winning at DGA. Dunkirk‘s momentum is all but not-existent at this point.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

With Best Picture so split, I can’t see Nolan winning for Dunkirk. I think Director is going to be a consolation prize for Picture, which is why I see Del Toro getting it as an excuse not to award The Shape of Water in Picture.

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Gerwig passed Nolan in critic awards so his goose is cooked.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Miller passed Inarritu, Linklater passed Inarritu and Fincher passed Hooper. But who won in all those races?

TBH I don’t think Nolan will win the Oscar if Gerwig is nominated. Her narrative is too big now to be ignored and she leaves both del Toro and Nolan out of contention. If she isn’t nominated then it’ll be a tight race between del Toro and Nolan with Peele trying to become a spoiler.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I think del Toro will end up winning SAG and Oscar. They’ll get Iñárritu and Cuaron to present Best Director, so then you’ll know exactly who’s won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Miller passed Inarritu, Linklater passed Inarritu and Fincher passed Hooper. But who won in all those races?

TBH I don’t think Nolan will win the Oscar if Gerwig is nominated. Her narrative is too big now to be ignored and she leaves both del Toro and Nolan out of contention. If she isn’t nominated then it’ll be a tight race between del Toro and Nolan with Peele trying to become a spoiler.

Very well put, Macca! Those are all great recent examples of the critics favorite not translating to being the Oscar favorite. I still think Del Toro can beat Gerwig in Directing, due to what a technical achievement his film is, TSOW having done so well at ALL of the precursors (Lady Bird couldn’t even get nominated for Bafta Picture), and the Oscar voters wanting to spread the wealth to a modern legend like him. Also, Gerwig doesn’t have that big an I.O.U., while Del Toro absolutely has one for Pan’s Labyrinth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I think del Toro will end up winning SAG and Oscar. They’ll get Iñárritu and Cuaron to present Best Director, so then you’ll know exactly who’s won.

That is literally what I am predicting to happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

Ooh, that would be a great moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Del Toro is a lock.

Teridax has declared something a lock.  Everyone, take a drink.

I won’t rule it out, though I’m sticking with my Del Toro prediction for the reasons I stated above.

He will not rule out something beating the lock. Take another.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
Reply To: Oscar 2018: Is Del Toro a lock for Best Director or Nolan still stands a chance

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.