Home Forums Movies Oscar 2018: Is Del Toro a lock for Best Director or Nolan still stands a chance

Oscar 2018: Is Del Toro a lock for Best Director or Nolan still stands a chance

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
I Am The Night
Teridax
sofan
  • Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

The Globes and Critics Choice don’t always have the best track record on Best Director even when they both agree. For example, David Fincher won both a Globe and Critics Choice for the Social Network. Ben Affleck won both for Argo (not even nominated at the Oscars) and so did Richard Linklater for Boyhood.

So I think it’s still a race. Not only will DGA and BAFTA clarify things but other guilds as well because you usually need wins in other categories to win Director. Del Toro has the edge and will likely win since not only will The Shape of Water get nominations in the below-the-line categories but acting and probably writing as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

If Gerwig wins because of political correctness over Nolan and del Toro, it will be a sad, sad day.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

If Gerwig wins because of political correctness over Nolan and del Toro, it will be a sad, sad day.

I honestly dont get why people think that Greta has 1% chance to win. She’s not even a guaranteed nominee, let alone winner. For me Del Toro, Nolan and McDonagh are all lock for nominations. I would put Greta in the 4th place and Denis Villeneuve in the 5th spot (honestly i dont understand why Blade Runner 2049 has been completely forgotten in award season for the main categories, given that with its quality it can easily compete in Picture, Screenplay, Director and Lead Actor)

On the other threads i also read that Gretacan displace Nolan lol. She’s not even nominated for GG or BAFTA. Nolan, Del Toro and McDonagh swept all the pre-Oscar awards nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@riley Very funny Riley, ha ha. Seriously, I was being generous to Nolan’s chances out of sympathy for the Nolan fanboys. Frances McDormand is not a lock. In this MeToo climate, even Gary Oldman cannot be called a lock. I wouldn’t (call me crazy) even call Coco a lock for Animated Feature due to The Breadwinner having over-performed in Annie nominations and having a female protagonist in a story that also isn’t about white people or set in America. I could even fathom a scenario where, depending largely if CMBYN under-performs in nominations, Aaron Sorkin pulls off a surprise win for his Molly’s Game script, which has a feminist edge to it that Call Me By Your Name does not have. I don’t call everything a lock, so please don’t act like I do. When I said Del Toro is a lock, I meant that I have a really hard time seeing ANY of his competitors as being realistic threats for reasons I made clear. As Ex Machina proved a year ago, upsets can indeed come from the unlikeliest of places. Right now though, I don’t see the passion for anyone in the Directing category but Del Toro. This will be his overdue career Oscar win like The Departed was for Scorsese.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

@riley Very funny Riley, ha ha. Seriously, I was being generous to Nolan’s chances out of sympathy for the Nolan fanboys. Frances McDormand is not a lock. In this MeToo climate, even Gary Oldman cannot be called a lock. I wouldn’t (call me crazy) even call Coco a lock for Animated Feature due to The Breadwinner having over-performed in Annie nominations and having a female protagonist in a story that also isn’t about white people or set in America. I don’t call everything a lock, so please don’t act like I do. When I said Del Toro is a lock, I meant that I have a really hard time seeing ANY of his competitors as being realistic threats for reasons I made clear. As Ex Machina proved a year ago, upsets can indeed come from the unlikeliest of places. Right now though, I don’t see the passion for anyone in the Directing category but Del Toro. This will be his overdue career Oscar win like The Departed was for Scorsese.

keep it between each other dude. No need to be rude and call other people Nolan fanboys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@i-am-the-night I wasn’t being rude, just stating a fact. Trust me, as someone who has been on Goldderby a lot longer then you, I can objectively say that there are a TON of diehard Nolan fanboys on these forums who would bristle at the idea of him getting snubbed at the Oscars for Directing. His stan-base is one of worst in modern fandoms, certainly one of the most persistent.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

Offtopic: actually he was snubbed for Inception. Coen brothers got nothing in the pre-Oscar 2011 and still got in over Nolan. It pissed everone off, not only Nolan fanboys. In 2009 Nolan also was nominated for DGA and ton of award for Director but later could get in the race for Oscar.

This year i dont think that Nolan can be snubbed. Him, Del Toro and McDonagh are all lock for Director

and actually i haven’t seen any Nolan fanboy in this thread, everyone was just stating their opinion. The guy up there didnt even mention Nolan, he just trolled you.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Offtopic: actually he was snubbed for Inception. Coen brothers got nothing in the pre-Oscar 2011 and still got in over Nolan. It pissed everone off, not only Nolan fanboys. In 2009 Nolan also was nominated for DGA and ton of award for Director but later could get in the race for Oscar.

This year i dont think that Nolan can be snubbed. Him, Del Toro and McDonagh are all lock for Director

and actually i haven’t seen any Nolan fanboy in this thread, everyone was just stating their opinion. The guy up there didnt even mention Nolan, he just trolled you.

I wasn’t even calling Riley or anyone specifically a Nolan fanboy. There are others I could easily name who are but obviously won’t out of courtesy. 😉

I know all that about the Oscars, including all the Nolan snubs. I studied the Oscars so much growing up I’m practically a walking encyclopedia of movie awards trivia by this point. but while I will defend the Coen Bros Directing nod for True Grit (it was my favorite film of that year) I would totally have replaced Tom Hooper with Nolan, since he was by far the weakest of the Directing nominees IMO. I liked The King’s Speech, but Inception was at another level in terms of brilliance.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

Offtopic: actually he was snubbed for Inception. Coen brothers got nothing in the pre-Oscar 2011 and still got in over Nolan. It pissed everone off, not only Nolan fanboys. In 2009 Nolan also was nominated for DGA and ton of award for Director but later could get in the race for Oscar. This year i dont think that Nolan can be snubbed. Him, Del Toro and McDonagh are all lock for Director and actually i haven’t seen any Nolan fanboy in this thread, everyone was just stating their opinion. The guy up there didnt even mention Nolan, he just trolled you.

I wasn’t even calling Riley or anyone specifically a Nolan fanboy. There are others I could easily name who are but obviously won’t out of courtesy. ???? I know all that about the Oscars, including all the Nolan snubs. I studied the Oscars so much growing up I’m practically a walking encyclopedia of movie awards trivia by this point. but while I will defend the Coen Bros Directing nod for True Grit (it was my favorite film of that year) I would totally have replaced Tom Hooper with Nolan, since he was by far the weakest of the Directing nominees IMO. I liked The King’s Speech, but Inception was at another level in terms of brilliance.

my point is that no need to say “generous for Nolan fanboy” just because some random guy trolled you for some other reasons dude, if some one bashing you and defend Nolan then yeah i can understand why you make that statement about fanboy but in this case it’s really unecessary. But whatever.

Back to the topic, i still think Nolan stands a chance in 2011 Hooper managed to get the Oscar despite everyone thought about 1st win for Fincher (Fincher was far superior to Hooper that year and swept almost every the pre Oscar award). This year the race seems much more even so anything can happen (although i dont want Nolan to be like Hooper, winning an Oscar just to be insulted by people. Poor guy, get all the hates just because he beated Fincher).

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

I will not allow the Tom Hooper bashing that is going on in this thread. Definitely not for The King’s Speech. A great film, directed beautifully. It deserved that Best Picture and Director wins.
    Suck it if you still cry about it almost a decade later.

And it’s one of the best moments in Oscar history where Oscar voters and the industry rejected the critics darling and went its own way.

– The King’s Speech over The Social Network
    – Birdman over Boyhood
    – And this year, it’s looking like most critics darlings will be pushed aside.

I love it.

That’s why i love industry awards. I don’t care how many critics awards you have won. SAG, PGA and DGA is all that matters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I will not allow the Tom Hooper bashing that is going on in this thread. Definitely not for The King’s Speech. A great film, directed beautifully. It deserved that Best Picture and Directir wins.
    Suck it!

And it’s one of the best moments in Oscar history where Oscar voters and the industry rejected the critics darling and went its own way.

– The King’s Speech over The Social Network
    – Birdman over Boyhood
    – And this year, it’s looking like most critics darlings will be pushed aside.

I love it.

That’s why i love industry awards. I don’t care how many critics awards you have won. SAG, PGA and DGA is all that matters.

I completely agree that The King’s Speech was a great and memorable film, beautifully directed… just not better than the other 4 nominees and Inception, in my opinion. No need to get so heated. 😐

There was also Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Toy Story 3, How To Train Your Dragon, etc. Let’s face it, 2010 was a truly high-quality year for cinema. I don’t know if I can include 127 Hours with all the allegations against James Franco tainting my view of the actor, but it was still a great film on its own artistic merits.

I totally agreed with Birdman beating Boyhood though, even though I liked Whiplash better than both, and would have been disappointed if the Linklater film won. However, Birdman winning so many major Oscars but still failing to win for its star Michael Keaton is unforgivable.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

I will not allow the Tom Hooper bashing that is going on in this thread. Definitely not for The King’s Speech. A great film, directed beautifully. It deserved that Best Picture and Director wins. Suck it if you still cry about it almost a decade later. And it’s one of the best moments in Oscar history where Oscar voters and the industry rejected the critics darling and went its own way. – The King’s Speech over The Social Network – Birdman over Boyhood – And this year, it’s looking like most critics darlings will be pushed aside. I love it. That’s why i love industry awards. I don’t care how many critics awards you have won. SAG, PGA and DGA is all that matters.

No one is bashing Hooper dude. They just said that Fincher had all the awards but the Oscar went to Hooper, which is a surprise.

I even said that i feel bad for Hooper, getting all the hates just because he won against Fincher

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

However, Birdman winning so many major Oscars but still failing to win for its star Michael Keaton is unforgivable.

He was unlucky to face Eddie tbh. Keaton was great but Eddie’s performance was one of the best in recent years.

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s a shame that Del Toro is winning this year. I don’t understand how all these award bodies believe his job was much harder than that of Nolan, someone who had to direct scenes of much higher difficulty. Or difficulty aside, I don’t know why they think Del Toro did the best of the directors. The Shape of Water has nothing special or new about it.

Also, there are no memorable shots in the film that Del Toro could even take credit for. I can at least think of those kinds of shots for Lady Bird (the airport scene) and Get Out (hypnosis scene).

Just a bit of a let down, that’s all.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

Ooohhh poor Nolan stans hahahahaha

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
Reply To: Oscar 2018: Is Del Toro a lock for Best Director or Nolan still stands a chance

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.