Oscar for Best Original Song 2013 contenders

Home // Forums // Movies // Oscar for Best Original Song 2013 contenders

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Titanium
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think there’s a topic on this, so I thought I’d start one. But I heard the new Lana Del Rey song “Young and Beautiful” off the Great Gatsby soundtrack, and just thought to myself that I can imagine it being pushed for best original song.

I think Gatsby will be too polarising to be a major awards contender, but this could be its way to win some gold!

The song itself is very haunting but sweet and mesmerising, and it’s less of the durginess that would put voters off Lana. She’s also got benefits in that she’ll be perceived as hip and acclaimed by the older, out of touch academy members. 

And I don’t believe in a babe factor per se, but if this becomes an awards player, I can just imagine Lana attending and singing at all the ceremonies, dressed in the sexy 50s glamour style that she incorporates so much; which would drive journalists crazy! Which’d no doubt further a possible campaign.

Anyway, here’s the song, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te11UaHOHMQ

Any other suggestions?

Rooney Mara
    Participant
    Topics:

I was thinking exacly the same. The fact that we come from a very comercialize win may hurt her but I can see that song going there, at least GG nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually like the Florence song “Over the Love” from the great gatsby more. With the rule change and Adele winning I actually like this category again. Frozen is animated musical and Inside Llwyen Davis will have some great original music I think. I see Florence getting in but Lana will be made ineligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    LexMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually like the Florence song “Over the Love” from the great gatsby more. With the rule change and Adele winning I actually like this category again. Frozen is animated musical and Inside Llwyen Davis will have some great original music I think. I see Florence getting in but Lana will be made ineligible.

Totally agree about Frozen. I think that Lana’s vocals on this record are absolutely sublime and that, while Florence’s vocals are beautiful as well, her song left me underwhelmed. Just out of curiosity, why would she be made ineligible? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, we still have to wait and see if they get played within the actual movie (and for how long. Isn’t the minimun requirement 40 seconds or something?), and which song gets played first during the credits. If Florence’s song is eligible, I think she should get nominated; the song is terrific. It would be cool to see Lana Dey Rey nominated too. But due to Adele’s recent win, it would seem a bit weird for a commerical mainstream artist to win again. Not to mention there are a few actual musical films coming out this year. The competition is gonna be tough for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

Lana Del Rey’s song is perfect and sublime. It would be a crime if she’s at least not nominated, but honestly, she deserves to win. Case closed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Besides doing the score, M83 has a song that plays over the beginning of the credits for ‘Oblivion’, aptly titled “Oblivion”, featuring vocals from Susanne Sundfor. It’s a long shot, but I believe it’s still a contender. No reason it should be deemed ineligible

Here’s the full soundtrack version

Here’s them performing it live on Jimmy Kimmel

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Del Rey’s song is also co-written by Luhrmann himself, so it could helps her nomination.

I was so disappointed when Carey’s song wasn’t in the movie or playing first during the credits, she’s ineligible for the Oscars, but maybe she can land a GG nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d guess a song from the gatsby soundtrack as well but someone told me Randy Newman is involved with Monsters University. If he writes one of the songs, I’d bet on him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Mara
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Florences song for SnowWhite was better than the one for TGG but I can see her getting more easily than Lana.
    I also think the fact that Baz wrote it will help Lanas chances. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AroundU
    Topics:

I cannot stop singing the Florence song. I also love the direct reference to the ‘Green Light’.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

So basically this is a thread for people to cream themselves over Lana Del Rey? Got it, I’ll stay away then.

And I think Gatsby will be such a mess, it won’t even get into song. The only category I think it will be nominated is Costume. I might be wrong, but I think it’s very possible. I also don’t see Lana Del rey getting nominated, as she is the most polarizing music star today. People either love her or hate her. She is like pop music’s Lena Dunham, expect she also behaves like a walking Instagram filter who sings as well.

EDIT: That Oblivion score is great, Tye, but I doubt the film and M83 will get much traction. It also doesn’t sound like something the Academy music branch would go for, even if it’s beautiful. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”eoindaly2k11″]
    Just out of curiosity, why would she be made ineligible? 

the song was written before her involvement with Great Gatsby and was once
    written up as a track to be included for her Paradise cd. Could be deemed
    ineligible for not being written for the film.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

The Oscar voters won’t resist the Lana Del Rey appeal. The analysis by the poster Titanium is on point. It would also be funny if she wins an Oscar before a Grammy, lol. Get that Oscar, Lana!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I like the Lana Del Rey song, but I too heard it was written for a previous album. However, if it didn’t appear on said album, and it’s been reworked for the film, it might be okay. I really like the Florence and the Machine song. I think for either to get in, it’s going to come down to how they’re used in the film. As for “Oblivion”, I agree Renaton, it’s not likely. But I’d like to believe it is, lol.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Reply To: Oscar for Best Original Song 2013 contenders

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.