Home Forums Movies Oscars 1991: Depardieu vs. Irons

Oscars 1991: Depardieu vs. Irons

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
babypook
  • cinephil
    Topics:

I just came across an article that suggested that Depardieu would have easily won lead actor for “Cyrano de Bergerac” if that shocking interview had never been published. He was however nominated for Best Actor. After doing some research, I found out that he had actually won both the Palme d’Or and the César for his work as Cyrano as well as a Golden Globe for “Green Card” which had been released the same year and which was also up for an Academy Award in Original Screenplay.
    Nowadays, Irons seems like such an obvious and smart choice. What is your take on this? Or do you remember the actual voting period?

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I’ve been an admirer of Depardieu for quite some time. I saw both of the films you’ve mentioned and he’s spectacular in the former and hilarious in the second, which also showed his potential as a romantic lead.

His personal life is colourful to say the least.

My guess is that, he didnt have a big chance of unseating Irons, who was somewhat of a juggernaut that year although he came second to De Niro at NYFCC (with his two films). I wouldnt say speaking in a language other than Anglais gave him any kind of advantage with Oscar, few exceptions aside.

It would probably be prudent if I dont comment on his relationship with Vladimir Putin except to say, he is far from alone.

Whenever I see Depardieu’s name attached to a film or project it always sparks my interest.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

there’s not a chance in hell Depardieu is winning, getting nominated is already an honor for playing a role that previously had won an oscar

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Oscars 1991: Depardieu vs. Irons

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.