Home Forums Movies OSCARS 2013 – Animated Feature

OSCARS 2013 – Animated Feature

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

The BoG just changed the rule about who is listed as nominee – up to two people, one of whom must be a producer.
    If two directors, both can be nominated, if which case one producer can be as well.

Not sure what they do when there are two producers, the director isn’t one of them – guess s/he then would get left off.   

DamianWayne
    Topics:

19 animated films been have submitted. If 16 or more actually qualify, then there will be 5 nominees.

They are:
    “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2”
    “The Croods”
    “Despicable Me 2”
    “Epic”
    “Ernest and Celestine”
    “The Fake”
    “Free Birds”
    “Frozen”
    “Khumba”
    “The Legend of Sarila”
    “A Letter to Momo”
    “Monsters University”
    “O Apóstolo”
    “Planes”
    “Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie – Rebellion”
    “Rio: 2096 A Story of Love and Fury”
    “The Smurfs 2”
    “Turbo”
    “The Wind Rises”

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I doubt they’ll qualify ‘The Smurfs 2’. They didn’t qualify the first one did they?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Of those already released, a grand total of 0 have a B- average on Metacritic.
    None of last year’s contenders had a B average, but there were B-‘s. The year before that included scores of 63/65/67 among the nominees, so barely scraping a B despite questionable box office gave the win to Rango. Compare to 2009 – 4 nominees with 80+s.

Come on, Frozen & Wind Rises, make this year not a wasteland. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, at least we’ll probably see five nominees this year……

‘Frozen,’ ‘The Croods,’ ‘The Wind Rises’ Top Oscar Slate of 19 Animated Films

Awards | By on November 5, 2013 @ 10:25 am Follow @stevepond

Number of submissions almost guarantees a full slate of five nominees
    Read story at TheWrap
    Print

Related

‘Frozen’ Review: Disney’s Best Animated Musical Since ‘Beauty and the Beast’

‘The Wind Rises’ Review: Miyazaki’s Soaring Celebration of Man’s Dreams of Flight

‘Free Birds’ Review: This Animated Thanksgiving Comedy Is Pure Gobble-dygook

Number of submissions paves the way for a full slate of five nominees

Nineteen films have been submitted to the Academy in the Best Animated Feature category, paving the way for a full slate of five nominees for the fifth time in the category’s 13-year existence but the fourth time in the last five years.

The films include Disney’s “Frozen,” Pixar’s “Monsters University,” DreamWorks Animation’s “The Croods,” Sony’s “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2,” Universal’s “Despicable Me 2,” and “The Wind Rises,” the Disney-distributed final film from Japanese animation Hayao Miyazaki.

Dark-horse contenders include “Ernest and Celestine” from GKIDS, a small company that has landed three nominations in the last few years.

Under AMPAS rules, any year with 16 or more contenders can yield a slate of five nominees, provided enough films receive high enough scores from voters in the nomination round. Fewer than 15 contenders will cause fewer nominations, while a year of seven or fewer eligible films would cause the category to be eliminated for that year.

The submitted films must still satisfy the Academy’s release requirements, and must be approved by the executive committee of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch.

One of the submitted films is “Smurfs 2,” the sequel to a live-action/animation blend that was disqualified by the branch for not having enough animation.

The submitted films:

“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2”
    “The Croods”
    “Despicable Me 2”
    “Epic”
    “Ernest and Celestine”
    “The Fake”
    “Free Birds“
    “Frozen”
    “Khumba”
    “The Legend of Sarila”
    “A Letter to Momo”
    “Monsters University”
    “O Apóstolo”
    “Planes”
    “Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie – Rebellion”
    “Rio: 2096 A Story of Love and Fury”
    “The Smurfs 2”
    “Turbo”
    “The Wind Rises”

The 86th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Thursday, January 16, 2014, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2013 will be presented on Oscar Sunday, March 2, 2014, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® and televised live on the ABC Television Network. The presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I stand by ‘Rango’ being one of the best animated films of recent years. IMHO, it totally deserved its win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Actually, there is a caveat to the rules – all features are rated, and they must reach a certain vote level to be nominated. So we still might have less than 5 – (once again, as is so often the case, The Wrap is not a totally reliable source in claiming that the number of animated features opening paves the way to having 5)

All submissions sent to the Academy will be screened by the Animated Feature Film Award Screening Committee(s). After the screenings, the committee(s) will vote by secret ballot to nominate from 2 to 5 motion pictures for this award. In any year in which 8 to 12 animated features are released in Los Angeles County, either 2 or 3 motion pictures may be nominated. In any year in which 13 to 15 films are released, a maximum of 4 motion pictures may be nominated. In any year in which 16 or more animated features are released, a maximum of 5 motion pictures may be nominated.

1. The committee(s) will view all motion pictures entered and mark all entries 10, 9, 8, 7 or 6 with the guidelines of 10 (excellent), 8 (good), 7 (fair) or 6 (poor). Those productions receiving an average score of 7.5 or more shall be eligible for nomination.
    2. If only one production receives an average score of 7.5 or more, the Executive Committee may recommend to the Board of Governors that a Special Achievement Award for Animated Feature Film be made to that production.
    3. If no production receives an average score of 7.5 or more, the Executive Committee shall recommend to the Board of Governors that no award be made for Animated Feature Film for the current Awards year.

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

Actually, there is a caveat to the rules – all features are rated, and they must reach a certain vote level to be nominated. So we still might have less than 5 – (once again, as is so often the case, The Wrap is not a totally reliable source in claiming that the number of animated features opening paves the way to having 5)  

They could have been more clear, but they actually mentioned it in the article:
    “Under AMPAS rules, any year with 16 or more contenders can yield a slate of five nominees, provided enough films receive high enough scores from voters in the nomination round.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

“I stand by ‘Rango’ being one of the best animated films of recent years. IMHO, it totally deserved its win.”

Well, the animated films of recent years have been mostly critically shrugged or reviled, so it’s not a high bar. It beating movies languishing in the 60s on MC, plus one with about the same reviews but taking in less than $400k in the US, was pretty darn obvious.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

If the academy doesn’t nominate The Wind Rises, they’ll need a foreign-language-film type of commitee for the animated branch. It’s his best film since Chihiro, and it’s truly a beautiful work of art and a great farewell. I’m biased, because this is easily my favorite film of the year so far (out of what I’ve seen anyway), but Miyazaki really is deserving of winning a second Oscar and I hope that at the very least he gets nommed (I still don’t know what to make of the Ponyo snub, even though that one didn’t even come close to this one in quality).

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

”I stand by ‘Rango’ being one of the best animated films of recent years. IMHO, it totally deserved its win.”

Well, the animated films of recent years have been mostly critically shrugged or reviled, so it’s not a high bar. It beating movies languishing in the 60s on MC, plus one with about the same reviews but taking in less than $400k in the US, was pretty darn obvious.

I understand your point jjjmoss, and I agree. I just meant personally, it would’ve been my winner even with stronger competition. If it had come out last year, for example, which had slightly bigger competition, I still easily would’ve chosen ‘Rango’.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Also: ‘Rango’ contains Johnny Depp’s best performance since ‘Sweeney Todd’.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

My guess is that there will be 3 or 4 nominees – Frozen & The Wind Rises, plus one or two fillers

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

My best guess is Frozen or Monster’s University

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan Earle
    Topics:

I think the nominees will be: the croods, frozen, monsters university, the wind rises and Ernest and Celestine.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.