Home Forums Movies Oscars 2013 Arts Categories: Production Design, Costumes, Makeup – What is winning?

Oscars 2013 Arts Categories: Production Design, Costumes, Makeup – What is winning?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
starfishgirl
Jason Travis
Stardust
  • KT
    Topics:

Apologies if such a topic exists.  I couldn’t find one.

I recently resurrected the Best Song thread, which is a fascinating race (a pretty strong category this year), and feel that these arts categories may be a little more interesting than the racetrack odds suggest.  Especially Production Design, which really took many people aback last year when it went to Lincoln.  And unlike the tech categories (Cinematography, Visual Effects, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing), Gravity isn’t walking away with everything here.

What upsets are possible?  We’re constantly discussing the acting categories, but if you want to win your Oscar pool, you need to at least take some risks and go against the grain.  Is it just Gatsby as everyone is predicting, done deal?  Does 12 Years a Slave stand a chance, if it’s going to pick up other categories on the way to a Best Picture win?  Is Dallas Buyers Club a done deal for Make-Up?    

Production Design
    12 Years a Slave
    American Hustle
    Gravity
    The Great Gatsby
    Her

Costume Design
    12 Years a Slave
    American Hustle
    The Grandmaster
    The Great Gatsby
    The Invisible Woman

Makeup and Hairstyling
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
    The Lone Ranger

Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

PRODUCTION DESIGN:

I think this is still a very visual category and Gravity is too simple. I am predicting 12 Years a Slave. Great Gatsby would seem likely, but I think this is a way the academy can honor 12 Years in a technical category (think Lincoln last year).

COSTUME DESIGN:

Great Gatsby

MAKEUP

Dallas Buyers Club 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    starfishgirl
    Topics:

I also think Production Design may go to 12 Years a Slave. I just have a feeling it’s not going to be Gatsby for that one, and I think they won’t pick Gravity either, because they see it as all visual effects. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Asgaroth
    Participant
    Topics:

Production Design is between 12 Years and Great Gatsby, the former because it’s the frontrunner movie and the latter because it’s the most visually flashy and colorful-rich movie of the bunch, unless voters want to give Gravity everything but best actress or unless voters who feel Hustle is going empty-handed give the movie an opportunity to avoid this fate here. But those cases will be very rare to happen.

Costumes is so up in the air. Literally any of the nominated movies has a shot at winning. But I feel that if 12 Years takes BOTH Production & Costumes, that would be a sign that it is the best picture winner.

And for makeup, DBC is a pretty sure bet simply because nobody can imagine an oscar voter letting a flop such as The Lone Ranger or a stupid movie like Bad Grandpa go home with an oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    starfishgirl
    Topics:

I feel safer about Gatsby winning costumes. that particular category really does tend to go to the biggest, flashiest, most colorful costumes, no matter the quality of the movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Junk
    Topics:

I don’t get the DBC makeup nom. Yes Leto’s drag makeup was pretty convincing, but most of that had to do with Leto himself, not nearly the makeup which was standard as best.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nick Spake
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s only appropriate that “Jackass” wins Best Makeup seeing how that’s exactly what the Makeup and Hair Branch has become, Jackasses. The fact that “12 Years a Slave,” “The Hobbit,” “Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” and “Star Trek: Into Darkness” didn’t even make the shortlist is one thing. But “The Lone Ranger” over “Catching Fire” and “American Hustle,” are you kidding me? On top of that, in what jacked up world is “Les Miserables” a greater achievement in makeup than “Cloud Atlas?” “The Iron Lady” over “Harry Potter?” Nominating and awarding “The Wolf Man” over “Alice in Wonderland?” Nominated “Click” over “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest?” Nominating “Norbit” over “300,” “Hairspray,” “Stardust,” and “Sweeney Todd?” By god, this category needs a serious intervention. No Academy branch has made a more questionable string of choices in the past few years. That’s right, even more questionable than the music branch.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t get the DBC makeup nom. Yes Leto’s drag makeup was pretty convincing, but most of that had to do with Leto himself, not nearly the makeup which was standard as best.

I haven’t seen the movie so I don’t know but I assumed it was mainly because of the AIDS makeup, like lesions and making thme look like they’re dying. I’m pretty sure that’s why Les Mis won last year, because they made Anne Hathaway look like she was about to drop dead 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

It’s only appropriate that “Jackass” wins Best Makeup seeing how that’s exactly what the Makeup and Hair Branch has become, Jackasses. The fact that “12 Years a Slave,” “The Hobbit,” “Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” and “Star Trek: Into Darkness” didn’t even make the shortlist is one thing. But “The Lone Ranger” over “Catching Fire” and “American Hustle,” are you kidding me? On top of that, in what jacked up world is “Les Miserables” a greater achievement in makeup than “Cloud Atlas?” “The Iron Lady” over “Harry Potter?” Nominating and awarding “The Wolf Man” over “Alice in Wonderland?” Nominated “Click” over “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest?” Nominating “Norbit” over “300,” “Hairspray,” “Stardust,” and “Sweeney Todd?” By god, this category needs a serious intervention. No Academy branch has made a more questionable string of choices in the past few years. That’s right, even more questionable than the music branch.

I agree with your take on the makeup branch.  Lincoln missing here last year was confusing…I thought this was a category that film really deserved to have (not sound mixing or even directing).  The branch’s ingrained politics and how they choose their nominees really baffles me. Sometimes the winners too.  I remember Titanic lost this category to Men in Black…(I thought the Titanic makeup was great and that movie swept everything except this one and two acting awards) only to learn Rick Baker from MIB is huge in the industry.

Don’t even get me started on the music branch.  Awful.  And some of the winners are awful too.  I cannot believe in that other topic that people actually think the Brokeback Mountain score is better than Lord of the Rings and Finding Neverland.  No way

ReplyCopy URL
    Jose Manuel Garcia
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Make-up nominations are quite fine imo… The problem is that winners are chosen by all the academy… and they go for the biggest flm name... And about the nominations this year, i think both The Lone Ranger and Bad Grandpa are really outstanding… it doesnt matter if the movie is awful or not, you are nominating the quality of the work. The Hobbit and Star Trek´s team has already oscars and people from the branch may had decided there is nothing new on they works that deserve a new nomination.
    To pick up the nominees, films should give a fifteen minutes click where they should explain what is good about their work, and from that click, the members of the branch choose. So i dont think they need any fixing. I would like they do the same in other categories, such as

Art Direction. This year pausible winner, “12 years of slave” is a joke. Most of the sets were already made.  We should not forget that Avatar won Art Direction, so i can see “Gravity” winning this. 

About Costumes, I will love if Patricia Norris finally wins an oscar, so i am fine with 12 years winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    starfishgirl
    Topics:

I forgot about Avatar winning art direction. Ok, so that’s a good argument for Gravity taking this too- i agree that 12 Years doesn’t necessarily deserve this one, since a lot of those sets were already made, but i just thought they tend to go for the period film with the most nominations in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Avatar’s art direction was more scenic though. Gravity’s basically just space craft, though highly authentic and detailed. It’s a deserving nominee, but the winner here tends to be more obvious as production design, like Great Gatsby or even Her, which I think is more of a threat than people realise. Gravity reminds me of Life of Pi, very impressive sets in some scenes but not able to win because of the majority of the film taking place in open area (the ocean for LoP, outer space for Gravity).

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Production Design – Gravity

Costume – The Great Gatsby

Makeup – Bad Grandpa    (could be any 3 of the nominees)

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going the other way to most of you and thnk Gatsby’s production design was much stronger than the costumes, which were good but not in your face enough to carry it to the win. 

Production Design The Great Gatsby

Costume Design 12 Years a Slave

Makeup and Hairstyling Dallas Buyers Club 

ReplyCopy URL
    Stardust
    Participant
    Topics:

http://www.adg.org/?art=adg_1

Production Design – Gatsby, Her, or Gravity.

Costume – Hustle or Gatsby

Makeup – DBC

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Oscars 2013 Arts Categories: Production Design, Costumes, Makeup – What is winning?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.