Home Forums Movies Oscars 2013/14: Whitaker, Blanchett, Fassbender & Winfrey? (Race, Racism & the Social Class Divide)

Oscars 2013/14: Whitaker, Blanchett, Fassbender & Winfrey? (Race, Racism & the Social Class Divide)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Phoenix LOVE.
    Topics:
    KT
    Topics:

Do you really think Oprah could win an Oscar?  I have trouble seeing this for some reason.  I just think the Academy wouldn’t give it to her, even if she dominated the critics awards….one of those instances where someone has the world, everything, and the Academy jumps at the chance to deny her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

It’s the 2013 Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The Academy, Gold Derby, and any reputable journalists always refer to the Academy Awards by the year they are honoring.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

I really do think she can win this.  I mean, even w/o a potential box-office, feel-good smash behind her, along with the man that brought us Mo’nique in proper form and an Oscar winner of Whittaker’s calibre, she’d have a shot.  The fact of the matter is: she’s got all of that and then some.

Very true.  I just think some people in the Academy will see her more as a personality and less an actress.  Mo’nique is nowhere near Oprah’s level of global icon and media powerhouse (so that wasn’t getting in the way of a win), plus the performance had no competition that year.  Let’s see how O’s reviews come.  I just think it speaks to the mentality of giving an award to the boss.  And everyone and their mother knows how much Oprah wants to win an Oscar.  The narrative will have to be there, Oprah’s proclaimed return to acting, best since The Color Purple, etc. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Let’s see: I doubt it, Maybe, No, and No, respectively. 

I really can’t see Whitaker winning. The category is flooded

Blanchette is a maybe. She has a strong performance, but her category is also flooded.  

Fassbender doesn’t have that role like Shame this year, imo. Nominated? Sure. 

Winfrey: err….No. Monique won because that was a really strong performance lauded by basically most American critics from a movie with a relatively strong critic and box office support. While The Butler has the look of a soap opera/ TV movie. I think we should really stop comparing. Do I see her nominated? Sure, why not.  

ReplyCopy URL
    SaraR
    Topics:

Also, Blanchett is almost a lock for a win at this point.  Her reviews are nearly insurmountable.  She also has the narrative and stars in a film by a legendary director.  Lots of good stuff going on in her corner.  It’s getting scary…

Calling someone a lock to win in early August seems awfully premature since we don’t know what the vast majority of her competition will be.

ReplyCopy URL
    MovieManiac405
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t think Blanchett is taking Best Actress, especially after seeing the movie. Nomination most likely, but I think the top four acting awards as of right now are…

ACTOR – Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave
    ACTRESS – Naomi Watts – Diana
    SUP ACTOR – Michael Fassbender – 12 Years a Slave
    SUP ACTRESS – Oprah Winfrey – The Butler

I must say, it is a fantastic year for black male leads… Is there a chance 3 get in the Best Actor race? There’s Chiwetel, but also Forest Whitaker – The Butler, Idris Elba – Nelson Mandela, and Michael B. Jordon – Fruitvale Station…

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

[quote=”MarkAlexisB”]

Also, Blanchett is almost a lock for a win at this point.  Her reviews are nearly insurmountable.  She also has the narrative and stars in a film by a legendary director.  Lots of good stuff going on in her corner.  It’s getting scary…

Calling someone a lock to win in early August seems awfully premature since we don’t know what the vast majority of her competition will be.[/quote]

Exactly. Blanchett was fantastic in Blue Jasmine and I wouldn’t mind seeing her winning, but at the same time, it didn’t strike me as an Oscar winning performance. There’s a LONG road ahead of her. We’ve literally seen no other major contenders for Best Actress yet (and the list of potentials is extremely long).  I’m not sold at all that Blanchett will actually win.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

Fassbender really? Harrison Ford for 42 is the big question mark in the Supporting Actor race. He could easily be forgotten in the preliminary critics awards and major nominations, but if he is remembered, he’ll easily gain the momentum for an Oscar win. It’s a freakin fantastic performance from a veteran, who happens to be one of the biggest box office stars ever. If the stars align, he’ll be a huge contender.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Harrison Ford should have had more nominations than just one.  He was fantastic in Witness, yes, but there are so many others.  Does he actually have the goods in 42 to compete for a win?  How is his accent?  I saw clips in the trailer and it reminded me of when he did K-19 and tried Russian…  One thing I’ve said on Gold Derby before that irritated me is when Steven Spielberg came out and said Daniel Day-Lewis and Tom Hanks were the best actors he has ever worked with, not mentioning Ford and clearly letting Oscar and awards recognition influence his comment.  Awards do not necessarily capture who is the best, and Spielberg should know that.  Now, if Ford nailed his part and it becomes his time (FINALLY!), it would be kind of sad for me to see such a great leading actor win a supporting Oscar.  I know, I know, it’s an Oscar, but winning for lead, carrying an Oscar movie and potential Best Picture winner, there’s much more glory there.  I felt the same for Sean Connery, who was overlooked for many excellent performances.  At least the BAFTAs gave him a lead award, and I might add a very deserving one at that.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

[quote=”rbttk1721″]…I just think some people in the Academy will see her more as a personality and less an actress…

I get this, but Oprah also has clout and she’s campaigning HARD.  She’s also actually a pretty great actress, when she wants to be.  This, coupled with her narrative and, quite frankly, the narrative of nearly everyone involved in this film will be enough, you’ll see.

The Academy, Gold Derby, and any reputable journalists always refer to the Academy Awards by the year they are honoring.

Er, okay.  Fixed.

Let’s see: I doubt it, Maybe, No, and No, respectively. 

I really can’t see Whitaker winning. The category is flooded

Blanchette is a maybe. She has a strong performance, but her category is also flooded.  

Fassbender doesn’t have that role like Shame this year, imo. Nominated? Sure. 

Winfrey: err….No. Monique won because that was a really strong performance lauded by basically most American critics from a movie with a relatively strong critic and box office support. While The Butler has the look of a soap opera/ TV movie. I think we should really stop comparing. Do I see her nominated? Sure, why not.  

Why can’t you see Whitaker winning?  

Winfrey: err… Yes.  She’s Oprah Fvcking Winfrey and starring in Lee Daniels’ smash hit, The Butler.  You’ll see![/quote]

Because I really don’t think The Butler or Whitaker is as competitive as everyone thinks, especially in the acting categories. Also he already has an Oscar. I have a feeling the Oscar’s going to a newcomer or a non-winner this year and also that the film’s going to fizzle out like The Help in the end.  But the movie isn’t out so we don’t know…

As for Winfrey, I don’t think she’s winning just because she’s Winfrey. She needs to be sweeping those precursors and critics groups like Anne Hathway did, especially since I predict The Butler to be as bad as Les Miz. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

We had a 100 posts long forum about this. 

People call me racist for telling that this thinking is way too wrong. Again, are we trying to make races happen just for the records? We haven’t seen these performances, or not all of them and still trying to make this black-white equally shit happen. Why? The racism itself is that you want to give Oscars for races just to feel fine. It’s not going to happen. They will give it to the most popular or most acclaimed performances of the year, either black or white. And two-time Oscar winner Forest Whitaker? Oscar-winner Oprah? Oscar-winner Fassbender? (what was so amazing about his perf. in Shame that people keep predicting him and calling him a great actor, lol). Really not happening. 

From your list only Blanchett deserves another Oscar based on her beautifully perfect career. 

Even if it’ll happen, or even if only black actors will win every acting award in the future, people still stay dumb and call the Academy racist. Because in the USA everything is racism. 

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Fassbender really? Harrison Ford for 42 is the big question mark in the Supporting Actor race. He could easily be forgotten in the preliminary critics awards and major nominations, but if he is remembered, he’ll easily gain the momentum for an Oscar win. It’s a freakin fantastic performance from a veteran, who happens to be one of the biggest box office stars ever. If the stars align, he’ll be a huge contender.

I agree completely lol. Here’s hoping the voters remember him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bill Buchanan
    Topics:

It’s the 2013 Oscars.

Thank you so much Boomer! I hate when I see “2014 Oscars” when it’s in fact the 2013. It just confuses me to no end and it makes no sense to name the ceremony after the year where it’s aired.

Blanchett is a maybe. She has a strong performance, but her category is also flooded.

While I think Blanchett is in no way a lock to win, she’s a very strong contender right now. I don’t think Meryl is winning a 4th Oscar so soon, unless the movie gets “THE best film of the year” kinda reviews. Same for Bullock (though in her case, i think the film is in prime position to get those reviews). Kidman, Thompson and Winslet are all in contention as well, but haven’t been seen. Delpy’s film has been seen and raved but has (unfortunately) fallen off the radar. And let’s not forget Amy Adams who is oscilating between supporting (where she’d be in very strong contention to win) and lead (where her chances are unclear).

With that said, my predicted line up is:
    Sandra Bullock, Gravity (*WINNER*)
    Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
    Meryl Streep, August: Osage County (mortal lock for nomination)
    Nicole Kidman, Grace of Monaco
    Julie Delpy, Before Midnight (I really want to believe this film can get into Picture, Actress and Screenplay, but we’ll see)

I think the top four acting awards as of right now are…

ACTOR – Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave 
    ACTRESS – Naomi Watts – Diana
    SUP ACTOR – Michael Fassbender – 12 Years a Slave
    SUP ACTRESS – Oprah Winfrey – The Butler

I certainly don’t see Watts winning for Diana. I really think that film is beneath her. Don’t you think it’s got a high probability of getting trashed by critics? Grace of Monaco (Kidman is Watt’s main contender) might get mixed reviews but Diana is much more likely to be panned. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Oscars 2013/14: Whitaker, Blanchett, Fassbender & Winfrey? (Race, Racism & the Social Class Divide)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.