Oscars 2014: Will there be any female-led nominees for Best Picture?

Home // Forums // Movies // Oscars 2014: Will there be any female-led nominees for Best Picture?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Marcus Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Last year, two films led by women were nominated for Best Picture: ‘Gravity’ (Sandra Bullock) and ‘Philomena’ (Judi Dench).

I’m not counting ensemble flicks like ‘American Hustle’ that starred a man and a woman. Just those films with a female at the center, like the above two or like 2012 nominees ‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’ (Quvenzhane Wallis) and ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ (Jessica Chastain).

Will there be any Best Picture nominees from 2014 that fit this bill?

According to our Experts’ predictions, the answer is no.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Doesnt seem likely at the moment, per those definitions.

Fortunately there’s at least one woman who has literally  led potential BP nominees who has a shot. Fingers crossed for Selma too. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

All I can think of now is ‘Wild’. One woman/man show are so last year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

All I can think of now is ‘Wild’. One woman/man show are so last year. 

I hope you’re right. I’m thinking right now that it’s more a Reese showcase than BP, and also given the director’s remarkable record with Actors. I’d be happy to see Wild make the cut.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Don’t give up Pook. DBC made it in, and it wasn’t expected to make big categories like BP and Editing, even though I didn’t really care for that film. 

I think Vallee has a great track with actors and Witherspoon’s been getting best-since-last-Oscar reviews. I hear this is a bit more AMPAS friendly than something like DBC. As we saw with last year, if ‘Wild’ makes a splash with the guilds, it’ll be one of the final 10. 

ReplyCopy URL
    JB
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m actually fairly certain “Wild” will get in… And keeping my fingers crossed for “Into the Woods”…. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Could ‘Wild’ be this year’s ‘Blue Jasmine’? Oscar-winning vehicle for its lead actress, but snubbed as Best Pic?

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe but it’s too close to call right now. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see Into The Woods being nominated, because it’s the only musical in contention (unless you count Annie…). I’m not sold on it just yet, because I was underwhelmed by the trailers, but if it’s really good, then it will almost definitely be nominated. I still haven’t figured out who the lead is, but it will be Streep or Blunt.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Right now, Wild is probably the best bet. This is looking like more of a female-directed than female-starring year in best picture.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

“Still Alice” is a wild card – the academy is notorious for having a short memory and I’m thinking Alice will be released closer to nominations time…. Wild is the only other possiblity that is in the running that I know of…

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see Into The Woods being nominated, because it’s the only musical in contention (unless you count Annie…). I’m not sold on it just yet, because I was underwhelmed by the trailers, but if it’s really good, then it will almost definitely be nominated. I still haven’t figured out who the lead is, but it will be Streep or Blunt.

Technically the Baker is the lead so it still is a male driven movie/show. Still The Baker’s wife is almost as equal a part to the Baker. Also Jersey Boys is still a musical too so really there are 3 but only one seems to be going to be recognized and that is Woods 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Oscars 2014: Will there be any female-led nominees for Best Picture?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.