Oscars 2017: Last-minute PANIC predicting nominations?

Home // Forums // Movies // Oscars 2017: Last-minute PANIC predicting nominations?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Marcus James Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Who else is having last-minute panic predicting the 2017 Oscar nominations? Most notably, I am having trouble deciding what should go into the 10th slot for Best Picture and whether Aaron Taylor-Johnson will really earn a Best Supporting Actor nomination. What are YOU panicking over, fellow Derbyites?

ScandalWife
    Participant
    Topics:

I am having a hard time with actress and director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ianscheese
    Participant
    Topics:

Panicking over pretty much every category. Wanting Jackie and Silence to get in over Figures.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I am having trouble deciding what should go into the 10th slot for Best Picture

Best Picture will never have ten nominees and I refuse to predict that many, even though it would help my predictions score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nick Roman
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a nagging feeling that Colin Farrell will get in for The Lobster. But if you’d asked me three days ago, my itching suspicion would have been Jake Gyllenhaal in Nocturnal Animals. I’m almost certain I’m overthinking Best Actor, but it wouldn’t be Oscar season if I didn’t second-guess every thought I had.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

No year has enough consensus passion for ten nominees. They should go back to five soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture will never have ten nominees and I refuse to predict that many, even though it would help my predictions score.

The maths for getting ten nominees isn’t that much different from getting nine. It’s much more likely than getting five or six in this system.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

No year has enough consensus passion for ten nominees. They should go back to five soon.

I always say that the irony of the system is that when we finally do get a year with a wealth of contenders, that will probably be the year that we only get five nominees because votes will be spread so thin.

The maths for getting ten nominees isn’t that much different from getting nine. It’s much more likely than getting five or six in this system.

In fifteen years (including the simulated years that the academy tested, but did not publicly disclose the specific results of), the system has usually yielded eight or nine nominees, occasionally five to seven and never ten. I am convinced that ten nominees will only ever be theoretical.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatfilmgirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I keep going back and forth on director and who gets that 5th slot. I’m going with Davis but I feel like there’s only weak arguments to be made past Chazelle, Jenkins, Lonergan and Villeneuve.

I’m also going on a limb and predicting Jake Gyllenhaal. I know he only has the Bafta nod but that’s all Gary Oldman and Javier Bardem in Biutiful had. I was never fully sold on Viggo being nominated.

Also, how many nominations does Hidden Figures get? I realized I was only predicting it in three (BP, SActress and song). Should I put it in for costumes, prod design and/or screenplay?

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

I guess my last two moves was working on assumption that Hacksaw would be a disappointment/tech only player and that Fences would also flop. In fact I think we are only getting 6 or 7 best pictures this year depending on the aforementioned Hacksaw Ridge. So I had to rejigger my predicts that made Hidden Figures a bit stronger and gave Manchester back its editing nom.

There are a ton of moves I would make if there wasn’t such a high penalty for it. Like I think Portman will be snubbed but it ain’t worth 66/1 odds. Moana or red turtle could be snubbed too but since everyone under the sun is predicting it, not worth cost to actually bet on it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Moana or red turtle could be snubbed too but since everyone under the sun is predicting it, not worth cost to actually bet on it.

Yes, which one will Your Name. bump?

ReplyCopy URL
    Mangesh Gaikwad
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

I am having a hard time with actress and director.

Me 2

It seems like anyone can get in :
    -Amy Adams for Arrival
    -Isabelle Huppert for Elle
    -Natalie Portman for Jackie
    -Emma Stone for La La Land

The fifth one will be either Meryl Streep for Florence Foster Jenkins, Ruth Negga for Loving, or Annette Benning for 20th Century Women.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mangesh Gaikwad
    Participant
    Topics:

Moana or red turtle could be snubbed too but since everyone under the sun is predicting it, not worth cost to actually bet on it.

Yes, which one will Your Name. bump?

This would be amazing :

Zootopia

Kubo and the Two Strings

Miss Hokusai

Your Name (Kimino nava )

My Life as a Zucchini

ReplyCopy URL
    Andy Macca McGaw
    Participant
    Topics:

The Handmaiden getting a couple of technical nods. I have it down for cinematography and production design.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
Reply To: Oscars 2017: Last-minute PANIC predicting nominations?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.