Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 3 (Make Your Predictions Now)

Home // Forums // Movies // Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 3 (Make Your Predictions Now)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 591 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
7 days ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Discuss Oscars 2018 nominations and potential winners in part 3 of this topic.

8 categories are available now in the predictions center. More will be added soon.

EvaSofie
    Participant
    Topics:

@prideful I’ve done my Oscar predictions, happy now?

PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Bird is looks like surprise of festival. No one saw it coming and ronan and film getting excellent reviews! Meanwhile RIP to Dench and Bening Oscar chances. It changes just that quickly!

mariogomez
    Participant
    Topics:

Is too quickly to talk about a winner in that category, we have to see first Critics Choice, then Globes and SAG, but in terms of nominations that is the point right now, it seems Ronan could be a lock, with Dench, Hawkins and Streep, the other slot is goig to be a fight between Bening, , Chastain and perhaps Winslet or Fonda( i still have the doubt about the stream services like Netflix or Amazon will be approved by the Academy members)
    The only thing that is sure for Oscar is Oldman and nothing more.

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

So what do we think of Angelina Jolie’s chances and the film in general.

manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d say not even Oldman is assured since this year we’re guaranteed to get more than our fill of political think pieces with studio-informed dirt. There’s, uh, quite a bit in Oldman’s past to dig into and Churchill himself is getting reevaluated in some circles (he really was a terrible person tbh but whatever). You’ll definitely see stuff on Woody Allen putting Winslet in a bad light, and while Hong Chau has been raved for Downsizing some critics have already mentioned that her character is like a problematic Asian mammy.

I’m sure there’s a myriad of other issues throughout these other contenders that I can’t even conceive of right now. A lot of these issues will have some validity that’s worth talking through but in this hot-take tweetstorm climate I’m worried it’ll just be really ugly and tiring.

CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d say not even Oldman is assured since this year we’re guaranteed to get more than our fill of political think pieces with studio-informed dirt. There’s, uh, quite a bit in Oldman’s past to dig into and Churchill himself is getting reevaluated in some circles (he really was a terrible person tbh but whatever). You’ll definitely see stuff on Woody Allen putting Winslet in a bad light, and while Hong Chau has been raved for Downsizing some critics have already mentioned that her character is like a problematic Asian mammy.

I’m sure there’s a myriad of other issues throughout these other contenders that I can’t even conceive of right now. A lot of these issues will have some validity that’s worth talking through but in this hot-take tweetstorm climate I’m worried it’ll just be really ugly and tiring.

Make no mistake, Oldman is the closest thing to a “lock”, even with some other circumstances getting in the way. As seen many times, the Academy simply does not give a shit if you’ve got bad dirt on you. It’ll reward you for your contributions to its industry.

manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

The effectiveness of a smear campaign depends on the circumstances — if a viable alternative emerges (like a DDL or Denzel) and the race tightens, bad press can generate enough distaste to swing the race the other way.

It’s really impossible to say at this point, which is why I don’t think there’s such a thing as a lock for a win yet even if I agree that Oldman is by far in the best position to win at this stage.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  manakamana.
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think First they killed my father will be much of a contender outside some craft categories. I do think Jolie is the most likely female director to get nominated, but probably won’t.

Also, don’t call Oldman a lock yet, Chalamet tha God is coming.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think First they killed my father will be much of a contender outside some craft categories. I do think Jolie is the most likely female director to get nominated, but probably won’t.

Also, don’t call Oldman a lock yet, Chalamet tha God is coming.

Coming to get a nod yes. However, Oldman is coming to win.

Prideful
    Participant
    Topics:

There is a viable alternate, which is Timothee Chamalet lol…go read any review and all of them praise his masterful performance. The 100% RT 9.7/10 average rating  and 98 Metacritic score doesn’t hurt either as it’s the only BP predix that’s higher than shape of water in all the ratings ( 100 RT, 8.8/10 average rating and 92 Metacritic. Prettt sure Chamalet is going to sweep a lot of critic groups and oldman needs to win enough of those as just pre-cursor awards by itself isn’t enough as evident by last year lol.

But really I’m seeing both of their movies at TIFF, so I guess I’ll be able to compare them for myself instead of just relying on Critics reviews

pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ll see, Chalamet has been getting just as many raves as Oldman is getting now. Oldman has an overdue narrative, but usually he can’t even get nominated so I don’t think he’s a lock quite yet.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure though. If Chalamet wins the the relevant critics group, then I’ll see him as someone to look out for. Make no mistake, I want him to prevail. But I can already see the rooting factor for Oldman and he’s in a baity biopic with an in your face performance.

LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s, uh, quite a bit in Oldman’s past to dig into and Churchill himself is getting reevaluated in some circles (he really was a terrible person tbh but whatever)

Meryl Streep won for playing Margaret Thatcher, definitely not a popular figure by Hollywood standards.

Prideful
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure though. If Chalamet wins the the relevant critics group, then I’ll see him as someone to look out for. Make no mistake, I want him to prevail. But I can already see the rooting factor for Oldman and he’s in a baity biopic with an in your face performance.

in an ideal world, they’d tie (which I would love) But realistically speaking they both have their strengths and angle and I really do think timothees movie and role is more appealing to Critics group while oldmans won’t be. But people who are doubting him cuz of his age or whatever need to wake the fuck up that he can’t even be nominated lol. If u look at Meryl’s Iron Lady award run, she herself lost quite a lot of critic group awards especially the ones in the US (which is how I think timothee has the edge with Critics) whether it’s cuz the movie wasn’t well received, her performance, or her character being unlikeable, we don’t know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 591 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 3 (Make Your Predictions Now)’ is closed to new replies.