Home Forums Movies Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 3 (Make Your Predictions Now)

Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 3 (Make Your Predictions Now)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 589 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol, Kaluuya is not in the conversation, and neither is Skarsgard. Sorry buddy, but I don’t think Best Actor is THAT devoid of competition that these guys would get nominated.

sitizoner
    Participant
    Topics:

Then can we talk about how ridiculous this prejudice is? (Not by you but by the Oscars). This is the exact reason why The Shining was overlooked. So many (I don’t wanna say horror) good genre movies are ignored – with the recent one being The Babadook. Am I the only one who’s fed up by this?

Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

Since the BActor is already “dead”, why isn’t anyone talking about Skarsgard’s chances for IT? I’m getting frustrated here. I mean even Kaluuya is in the conversation…

There is no way Skarsgard was a lead in his movie. But I think he would be great nominee in supporting. Although this is very unlikely, which is sad.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Hoster1.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Hoster1.
    CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

You aren’t wrong, my friend. There is an inherent genre bias shown from the Oscars that they can’t seem to shake. It is disappointing. If a good performance in a good film receives praise, no matter what genre, it should be nominated. Take Anthony Perkins in Hitchcock’s classic Psycho. Perkins gave one of the finest performances of the 20th Century in that film IMO, and he didn’t receive a nomination, let alone a win. Funny thing is, Perkins was actually taking home a lot of precursor awards from my memory, but the film (and Perkins’ performance) wasn’t a huge hit with the Oscars, unfortunately. That’s just one example, and many others don’t fall that far away from the tree.

sitizoner
    Participant
    Topics:

Glad to see that I’m not the only one. But maybe it’s just me being delusional but the Oscars are sometimes sheeps. If only the critics, media at large, and awards pundits can really rally behind ONE great genre movie (in this case IT, if Get Out has the disadvantage of early release) + heavy campaigning by WB, I believe it could still make a dent.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s hilarious anyone genuinely believes the film veterans are outside the Oscar race this year for potentially better received non-factors to the film industry (Ray Ramano, Laurie Metcalf, Allison Janney) and a horde of other names. Holly Hunter, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Melissa Leo are more secure than you perceive on paper. Denzel Washington has received good notices for his performance in a movie seen as dull. How does that stop his inclusion in Best Actor? They’re job is to nominate him for his work not the movie itself.

Shadi
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol @ whoever said Margot Robbie would be the front-runner now over Hawkins. For a dark comedy where she isn’t being singled out as the movie’s best performer? Sure.

As for Lead Actor, Oldman is definitely closing in on his lock status which I can get behind.

Best supporting actress is still the biggest question mark for me because the front-runners we thought we had (Pfeiffer, Chau) are losing steam given how their movies are being received. And yet, no alternative has risen yet. Spencer seems to be reprising last year’s role and it merits no award recognition, she won’t win a second for that. Janney isn’t a sure thing because we don’t know if the movie will for sure be distributed this year. Leo already won 7 years ago but maybe if the field is weak and her performance stands out in the movie, then she’d become the front-runner. I don’t believe that Chau or Pfeiffer are done though… seems like one of them will re-emerge as a front-runner soon. Not sure about Holly Hunter but the movie has been released in the early summer and sure she was raved but then she was forgotten. How terrible does the competition need to be for her to re-emerge? I don’t buy it.

I think if it’s not Pfeiffer or Chau, either Blige or Metcalf will take it. Those 4 + Leo are in my opinion the only threats right now. And if I,Tonya isn’t released this year, I can see those five being the nominees with the likelihood of a snub at the expense of probably Blige in order to make way for Spencer.

As for Supporting Actor, Defoe is a distant front-runner but I can see him dethroned by one of the CMBYN guys if one of them starts winning precursors.

distain
    Participant
    Topics:

Denzel Washington has received good notices for his performance in a movie seen as dull. How does that stop his inclusion in Best Actor? They’re job is to nominate him for his work not the movie itself.

It’s called confirmation bias. A lot of people simply don’t like Washington, so they are hoping mixed reviews for the film and some negative tweets from randoms will be enough to do him in. So the negative gets played up. When if you read the actual reviews for his performance, his raves seem second only to Oldman so far, and most say it’s a performance and character he’s never done before. It’s incredibly strong raves, and not “mixed” as someone tried to claim.

It’s off to a decent start on Rotten Tomatoes as well (71% after 7 reviews). Many of the reviews with reservations are still leaning towards a positive grade. The film ain’t no Best Picture frontrunner, but it’s not so poor that it derails an Oscar favorite like Washington from probably getting a comfortable nomination. People basically jumped the gun. His personal reviews are too good right now.

KirbyNicholson
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol I wish James Franco vs Gary Oldman would be a thing. It be ironic, hilarious, and kinda awesome

"We will always have Paris"

WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll be rooting all season long for Jake Gyllenhaal as Best Actor for Stronger. I haven’t seen the film yet (and would be willing to change my opinion if he is horrible) but his performance in the trailer was amazing alone. He should be more than a 1-time nominee at this point in his career and he should actually be a winner as well. To me, he is the new Leo in terms of “what does this man have to do for an Oscar(or atleast another nomination)!”

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  WildforFilm.
    distain
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll be rooting all season long for Jake Gyllenhaal as Best Actor for Stronger. I haven’t seen the film yet (and would be willing to change my opinion if he is horrible) but his performance in the trailer was amazing alone. He should be more than a 1-time nominee at this point in his career and he should actually be a winner as well. To me, he is the new Leo in terms of “what does this man have to do for an Oscar(or atleast another nomination)!”

I may get some bricks thrown at me, but Jake is probably a better actor than Leo.

He’s just in a weird spot where he’s a respected actor,but not an awards magnet. He’s a well known star, but not a box office titan.

I do tend to see some complaints that Jake is “trying too hard”. That he’s picking these roles looking for Oscar recognition (from Southpaw to Stronger) so when it doesn’t happen, he starts to carry the stench of someone who is always in “failed oscarbait”.

Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

It‘s one and only awards season play will be in Makeup/Hairstyling, and even that’s a long shot.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1981) – Reds

Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Even from photos alone, It would be more deserving of a makeup and hairstyling nomination than Suicide Squad. Even with their makeup, Jared Leto and Margot Robbie didn’t feel fully transformed into The Joker and Harley Quinn, whereas Bill Skarsgard in his photos IS Pennywise, without question.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Alex Meyer.
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Jake just needs to learn how to play the game better. Leo learned throughout the years and finally got it with The Revenant. But he is purposely choosing baity roles. It’s obvious he wants one or at least a nomination.

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Jakes a previous Amy Adam victim, if he hits all the pre-cursors he’s definitely getting in this time.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 589 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 3 (Make Your Predictions Now)’ is closed to new replies.