Home Forums Movies Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 5 (Predict Now)

Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 5 (Predict Now)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 508 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +15 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

” By contrast, the lead actor race is proving to be less cramped. Gary Oldman is the biggest story, way out in front with his movie-eating portrayal of Winston Churchill in “Darkest Hour.” Denzel Washington and Andrew Garfield may survive tepid reviews for “Roman J. Israel, Esq.” and “Breathe,” respectively, but Jake Gyllenhaal feels like he’s on stronger ground with, uh, “Stronger”; David Gordon Green’s latest was very well-received for a film that treads familiar water.

A truly exciting prospect is 21-year-old Timothee Chalamet. The “Call Me By Your Name” star, who also appears in “Lady Bird” and Scott Cooper’s “Hostiles” this year, would probably face a steeper climb in a more competitive environment, but this thinned-out race allows his utterly compelling portrayal of a young man’s summer of love room to maneuver. Ditto James Franco’s zany channeling of cult icon Tommy Wiseau in “The Disaster Artist.” Still to come are Tom Hanks (“The Post”), Daniel Day-Lewis (untitled Anderson), Bryan Cranston (“Last Flag Flying” — perhaps with Steve Carell, depending on how his dueling campaigns settle), and Hugh Jackman (“The Greatest Showman”), among others. The string runs out pretty fast, though.”

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

And of course, there are a handful of possibilities from the early months that will continue to hang tough through the season. Fox has already made sure James Mangold’s “Logan” stays top of mind by sending the film to Academy members, making it the first official “awards screener” of the year. The studio has also announced plans to push Matt Reeves’ “War for the Planet of the Apes” as far as it can go. Warner Bros. will aim to spin its own genre blockbuster “Wonder Woman” into a contender, while Universal will stoke the fire under Jordan Peele’s February satire “Get Out.” Lionsgate and Amazon will continue marshaling the cause behind Michael Showalter’s “The Big Sick,” and Annapurna plans to keep the pedal to the metal on a “Detroit” push despite the film’s soft box office performance. Perhaps Netflix can keep Bong Joon-ho’s “Okja” alive as well.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Andrew D.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Andrew D.

Check out my Store.

TheRedBoy
    Participant
    Topics:

It kinda seems like Chalamet is building the most excitement out of all of this year’s performances, but his age is definitely going to end up being a big hurdle.

Chalamet is going to be the third youngest nominee ever in Lead Actor (behind Cooper, 9, and Rooney, 19). He would be the youngest Lead Actor winner of all time, by a nearly 8 year margin.

He’d be several months younger than Jennifer Lawrence was at the time of her win, and she had a previous nomination, plus the hype and success of The Hunger Games in the same year as her win.

Fun fact: the youngest winner of Best Actor in a Supporting Role is Timothy Hutton, 20, for Ordinary People. Maybe Timothy / Timothee will be a lucky name for young actors.

CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

Chalamet is going to be the third youngest nominee ever in Lead Actor (behind Cooper, 9, and Rooney, 19). He would be the youngest Lead Actor winner of all time, by a nearly 8 year margin.

He’d be several months younger than Jennifer Lawrence was at the time of her win, and she had a previous nomination, plus the hype and success of The Hunger Games in the same year as her win.

Plus Chalamet would be very very deserving of the nomination, and also the win. It seems like a narrative can be made for Chalamet to get this award.

Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

It would be cool for a new record to happen this year …

Check out my Store.

KirbyNicholson
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys really want this Chalamet guy to happen…Ok just don’t go full blown awardswatch and get very strange…I still want Oldman to win, but Chalamet would be good.

"We will always have Paris"

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Statistic queens would’ve known that every year since 1980 we always had at least 1 first time nominee in the lineup and not even question Chalamet, but okay statistics are no longer valid because Casey broke ur (every actor since 2003 had to win SAG to win the Oscars)

CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

And just remember folks, 2>50 = Oscar.

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture
    1. Three Billboards
    2. The Shape of Water
    3. Call Me By Your Name
    4. Dunkirk
    5. The Post
    6. Mudbound
    7. Get Out
    8. Darkest Hour

Director
    1. Guillermo del Torro, The Shape of Water
    2. Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards
    3. Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
    4. Steven Spielberg, The Post
    5. Luca Gaudagnino, CMBYN

Actor
    1. Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
    2. Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
    3. Jake Gyllenhaal, Stronger
    4. Steve Carell, Last Flag Flying
    5. Andrew Garfield, Breathe

Actress
    1. Frances McDormand, Three Billboards
    2. Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
    3. Emma Stone, Battle of the Sexes
    4. Meryl Streep, The Post
    5. Margot Robbie, I, Tonya

Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Actor
    1. Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
    2. Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
    3. Jake Gyllenhaal, Stronger
    4. Steve Carell, Last Flag Flying
    5. Andrew Garfield, Breathe

you dont think CMBYN can sneak in ?

Check out my Store.

Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Given the lukewarm reviews and disastrous box office receipts for Breathe, I wonder if Garfield (and Foy) is dunzo.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1997) – As Good As It Gets

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

My current predictions for Best Actor are Gary Oldman, Timothee Chalamet, Jake Gyllenhaal, Tom Hanks and Daniel Day-Lewis – I am still not completely sold on Phantom Thread though, which could be great or not… I would love love love for Nahuel Perez Biscayard to get a nomnation for B.P.M.!!! (:

Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Given the lukewarm reviews and disastrous box office receipts for Breathe, I wonder if Garfield (and Foy) is dunzo.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Nicholson at the Oscars (1997) – As Good As It Gets

the movie looks really bad lol

Check out my Store.

Miles Allen
    Participant
    Topics:

For anyone picking del toro over Nolan get off the drugs del toro has no shot Nolans film is a techinical achievement so he will win director we saw that with la la land, revenant, life of pie titanic and gravity

I highly doubt that being a “technical achievement” was the reason why La La Land and Titanic, two of the most nominated movies in Oscar history, won Best Director. Your Dunkirk stanning has gone too far.

Hengedrita
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Actor:
    Christian Bale – Hostiles
    Timothee Chalamet – Call Me by Your Name
    Daniel Day-Lewis – Phantom Thread
    Jake Gyllenhaal – Stronger
    Gary Oldman – Darkest Hour

Best Actress:
    Judy Dench – Victoria and Abdul
    Sally Hawkins – The Shape of Water
    Rosamund Pike – Hostiles
    Margot Robbie – I, Tonya
    Saiorse Ronan – Lady Bird

Best Supporting Actor:
    Willem Dafoe – The Florida Project
    Idris Elba – Molly¨s Game
    Armie Hammer – Call Me by Your Name
    Ben Mendelshon – Darkest Hour
    Sam Rockwell – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Supporting Actress:
    Allison Janney – I, Tonya
    Lauren Metcalf – Lady Bird
    Michelle Pfeiffer – mother!
    Miranda Richardson – Stronger
    Kristin Scott Thomas – Darkest Hour

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 5 (Predict Now)’ is closed to new replies.