Home Forums Movies Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 6 (Predict Today!)

Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 6 (Predict Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 525 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +37 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

The best awards season in years!
    No definite frontrunners in most categories. And that’s how it’s supposed to be.

One thing is for sure: Best Picture will once again go to an Independent film. As it has for the past 8 years, except for Argo. All 7 of the past 8 Best Picture winners were made for under $20 million.

The preferential ballot somehow is just taylor made for passion choices. Where academy voters appreciate a well made, economical budgeted film.

Best Picture i’m leaning towards The Shape of Water, Three Billboards and The Florida Project.

Which film do voters “feel good” about voting for? (Moonlight, Spotlight, 12 Years a Slave, The Hurt Locker, Slumdog Millionaire, Argo etc).

Which film do voters feel they are doing a “good deed” by voting for it. (Spotlight, Moonlight, 12 Years a Slave, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker etc)

Which film is the “puppy you cannot kick”, as Sasha Stone puts it. The film you feel bad about not voting for. The passion film.

This is A24 vs Fox Searchlight for Best Picture.

Just my thoughts

I agree. It’s so much more fun when it’s a race.

Don’t count out Warner Brothers. Outside of the Weinstein Co. (which won’t be a factor for obvious reasons), they have been the most successful distributor along with Fox Searchlight. Especially in toss up years: Million Dollar Baby, The Departed and Argo. They are pushing Dunkirk hard. Even though it came out in the summer, they have been showing it at Toronto for the IMAX anniversary and AFI to keep it in the mind of The Academy.

Sasha
    Participant
    Topics:

I see everyone’s predicting McDormand to win. Good. Sally’s movie is the last being released. She’ll peak at the right time. Everything is going as I wanted. McDormand is like Bullock in Gravity. Everyone started predicting her but when the awards started being given out it was all about Cate once again. Shame she ain’t be winning for Maudie but I’ll take anything.

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

If the Oscar wants to spread the wealth as they’ve seem to done in recent years, they will do the right thing and pick Sally for the win and let Rockwell take supporting. Shape of Water deserves to win more than the tech awards.

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I see everyone’s predicting McDormand to win. Good. Sally’s movie is the last being released. She’ll peak at the right time. Everything is going as I wanted. McDormand is like Bullock in Gravity. Everyone started predicting her but when the awards started being given out it was all about Cate once again. Shame she ain’t be winning for Maudie but I’ll take anything.

I agree. Honestly I think Hawkins’ only win competition could be Robbie. She’s gaining momentum and it would be so typical of the Academy to give it to someone young and hot in the year it seems like they won’t.

SN
    Participant
    Topics:

The best awards season in years!
    No definite frontrunners in most categories. And that’s how it’s supposed to be.

One thing is for sure: Best Picture will once again go to an Independent film. As it has for the past 8 years, except for Argo. All 7 of the past 8 Best Picture winners were made for under $20 million.

The preferential ballot somehow is just taylor made for passion choices. Where academy voters appreciate a well made, economical budgeted film.

Best Picture i’m leaning towards The Shape of Water, Three Billboards and The Florida Project.

Which film do voters “feel good” about voting for? (Moonlight, Spotlight, 12 Years a Slave, The Hurt Locker, Slumdog Millionaire, Argo etc).

Which film do voters feel they are doing a “good deed” by voting for it. (Spotlight, Moonlight, 12 Years a Slave, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker etc)

Which film is the “puppy you cannot kick”, as Sasha Stone puts it. The film you feel bad about not voting for. The passion film.

This is A24 vs Fox Searchlight for Best Picture.

Just my thoughts

I agree. It’s so much more fun when it’s a race.

Don’t count out Warner Brothers. Outside of the Weinstein Co. (which won’t be a factor for obvious reasons), they have been the most successful distributor along with Fox Searchlight. Especially in toss up years: Million Dollar Baby, The Departed and Argo. They are pushing Dunkirk hard. Even though it came out in the summer, they have been showing it at Toronto for the IMAX anniversary and AFI to keep it in the mind of The Academy.

Agreed. WB is by far the most successful big studio in terms of awards.

SN
    Participant
    Topics:

But Gravity never had a chance to win Best Picture without SAG ensemble and Screenplay noms. Three Billboards has great chances in BP and if it wins I can’t see why McDormand wouldn’t win.

eclipseart98
    Participant
    Topics:

But Gravity never had a chance to win Best Picture without SAG ensemble and Screenplay noms. Three Billboards has great chances in BP and if it wins I can’t see why McDormand wouldn’t win.

TSOW has the same chance as well.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Gravity wasn’t an ensemble movie so of course it wasn’t gonna get an Ensemble nod. It tied with 12 Years at PGA so it’s not like it didn’t have any chance to win Picture.

McDormand has a great chance to win but the problem is that she doesn’t campaign and I think this race will be more campaigning and narrative over having a juggernaut frontrunner like Blanchett.

EvaSofie
    Participant
    Topics:

Gravity wasn’t an ensemble movie so of course it wasn’t gonna get an Ensemble nod. It tied with 12 Years at PGA so it’s not like it didn’t have any chance to win Picture. McDormand has a great chance to win but the problem is that she doesn’t campaign and I think this race will be more campaigning and narrative over having a juggernaut frontrunner like Blanchett.

And uh, in case you haven’t noticed, 20th Century Fox is setting up one hell of a campaign for Meryl.

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Gravity wasn’t an ensemble movie so of course it wasn’t gonna get an Ensemble nod. It tied with 12 Years at PGA so it’s not like it didn’t have any chance to win Picture. McDormand has a great chance to win but the problem is that she doesn’t campaign and I think this race will be more campaigning and narrative over having a juggernaut frontrunner like Blanchett.

And uh, in case you haven’t noticed, 20th Century Fox is setting up one hell of a campaign for Meryl.

I am so excited for next year when Meryl wins the Razzie for Mamma Mia 2!

AnDres Gtz
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw DARKEST HOUR. Might be one of my least favorites of the year so far… even Gary Oldman’s Churchill can’t hold a candle to John Lithgow.

That being said, the cinematography and music are incredible, just as they should be in a Joe Wright film. Wouldn’t be surprised to see nominations for Costume, Makeup, Production Design, Cinematography, Score, Actor. Maybe Picture too.

What do you think about Mendelsohn and Scott Thomas? Do they have a chance? I won’t be able to watch this until January so a little help with this film would be nice.

Ruby Sparks
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw DARKEST HOUR. Might be one of my least favorites of the year so far… even Gary Oldman’s Churchill can’t hold a candle to John Lithgow. That being said, the cinematography and music are incredible, just as they should be in a Joe Wright film. Wouldn’t be surprised to see nominations for Costume, Makeup, Production Design, Cinematography, Score, Actor. Maybe Picture too.

What do you think about Mendelsohn and Scott Thomas? Do they have a chance? I won’t be able to watch this until January so a little help with this film would be nice.

Ben Mendelsohn and Kristin Scott Thomas barely have any screen time, although KST was more memorable than Mendelsohn. To be honest, Lily James was better than both of them (in a role that seemed like it was written for Keira Knightley).

Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

Both of them are prominent in the trailer and also on posters so I’m sure they are pushed for nominations.

Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

The movie looks like such a snooze

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

dosmax
    Participant
    Topics:

I finally got around to watching War for the Planet of the Apes, and it was amazing. It’s a weak year for Best Actor, and Fox is apparently doing a big push for the film. Any chance Serkis could sneak in? Or the film could get more than just Visual Effects?

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2018 Nominations: Part 6 (Predict Today!)’ is closed to new replies.