Home Forums Movies Oscars 2018 Nominations Predictions (Part 7)

Oscars 2018 Nominations Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 561 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Miles
CitizenBlake
Teridax
  • Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

1) Chalamet
    2) Oldman
    3) Franco
    4) Day Lewis
    5) Kaluuya

Hanks won’t be a threat. Gyllanhall came and went. Watch out for a posthumous nomination for Stanton. Sandler could gain a narrative. In a perfect world Hugh Jackman would be a contender for Logan but that isn’t happening. I’m predicting Tremblay to get a SAG nomination.

What are you talking about? Jake Gyllenhaal was nominated for a Critics Choice Award earlier today.

Adam Sandler also isn’t getting ANY kind of narrative. I do think the Dustin Hoffman thing will make a lot of voters not want to watch the film, plus even without that scandal the anti-Netflix bias would still hurt the movie’s Oscar chances, and I don’t think Sandler has the industry support after making garbage like “That’s My Boy” and “Jack & Jill” for so many years. Both he and his movie actually “came and went,” though a Globe nomination isn’t unrealistic considering they nodded him for “Punch-Drunk Love.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I am fairly confident Kaluuya will get in. He already was nominated at Indie and Gotham and his Critic Chociw nomination only helped him. A Globe nom should be easy on the comedy side. He has an advantage at BAFTA because he’s British. If he gets all of those and Get Out gets an ensemble nomination than he could get SAG. That would easily pave the road for an Oscar nomination. And it helps that Get Out is only gaining momentum.

You’re being really smart on this one. I have had Daniel Kaluuya getting an Oscar nomination at 100/1 odds for ages now. I have him getting in over Day-Lewis, who could suffer from being in a more divisive film.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

They are not going to snub Daniel Day-Lewis in his last film, no ma’am.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 11 hours ago by  sofan.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

They are not going to snub Daniel Day-Lewis in his last filmi, no ma’am.

They snubbed him for Nine, The Boxer, it has happened before. His Oscar nominations this century have all been for BP nominees. I don’t think Phantom Thread will make the cut nor have as much support in other categories as Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood, and Lincoln all had. Phantom Thread seems likely to get into Production Design and Costume Design and I have it predicted only in those categories. Music Score maybe but I’m currently not predicting it to make the final 5.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

They snubbed him for Nine, The Boxer, it has happened before. His Oscar nominations this century have all been for BP nominees. I don’t think Phantom Thread will make the cut nor have as much support in other categories as Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood, and Lincoln all had. Phantom Thread seems likely to get into Production Design and Costume Design and I have it predicted only in those categories. Music Score maybe but I’m currently not predicting it to make the final 5.

Neither Nine, nor The Boxer, nor any of the films he wasn’t nominated were his last film, though. I am specifically basing my argument on Phantom Thread being his last film and role ever. I don’t see how they could miss an opportunity like this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Grégory Delisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Can somebody explain to me what’s so good about Daniel Kaluuya performance in Get Out? He did absolutly nothing. He even seems bored. I’m so confused…

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Can somebody explain to me what’s so good about Daniel Kaluuya performance in Get Out? He did absolutly nothing. He even seems bored. I’m so confused…

He was vulnerable, he showed fear and rage and confusion all to a degree of uncanny realism in the horror genre.

Kaluuya was completely convincing in every second of his performance, but the hypnosis scene is of itself a perfect Oscar clip.

Don’t forget this already iconic shot right here:
    null

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Neither Nine, nor The Boxer, nor any of the films he wasn’t nominated were his last film, though. I am specifically basing my argument on Phantom Thread being his last film and role ever. I don’t see how they could miss an opportunity like this.

The Oscars are not known for being sentimental. It being his last film won’t make any difference. IF he was doing some kind of buzzed-about transformation ala My Left Foot or Robert De Niro in Raging Bull it would be a different story. But the category is too stacked for him to get in anymore. Looks that way to me at least.

ReplyCopy URL
    eclipseart98
    Participant
    Topics:

After that “not so” positive reviews, I don’t think The Post is considered a frontrunner as of now. Good thing I predicted it in the fifth or sixth spot. Unless, politics.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

It will be truly remarkable if both Gyllenhaal and Hanks are again omitted. At that point, you have to wonder if the Academy has some sort of strange grudge against them.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Mo Shillingford
    Participant
    Topics:

The Post’s reviews aren’t too stellar atm. It’s good but not Dunkirk or Call Me By Your Name good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

It will be truly remarkable if both Gyllenhaal and Hanks are again omitted. At that point, you have to wonder if the Academy has some sort of strange grudge against them.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

They have found out they’re friends with Cameron Diaz.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

They have found out they’re friends with Cameron Diaz.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Are The Post & The Big Sick original or adapted screenplays?

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I follow Chris Stuckmann’s movies reviews youtube channel (if any1 knows), and in his opinion, Bob Odenkirk is great in The Post (I haven’t watched it yet obviously) and would deserve a best supporting actor nomination. So, I guess we might have our 5th possible nominee, although critics choice ignored him.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 561 total)
Reply To: Oscars 2018 Nominations Predictions (Part 7)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.